[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: based amon.jpg (230KB, 764x989px) Image search: [Google]
based amon.jpg
230KB, 764x989px
What went wrong?
>>
Didn't keep Korra as a cum-dump for his men.
>>
>>80772006
Got exposed as a fraud by bunch of meddling kids and their dumb polar-dog
>>
1 episode long exposition dump on who your mystery man is. Turns out its no one special or surprising.
>>
File: 1454971999076.jpg (17KB, 236x356px) Image search: [Google]
1454971999076.jpg
17KB, 236x356px
>>80772039
Couldn't have said it better myself
>>
File: 1452909490538.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1452909490538.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>80772006
He was a waterbender!
>>
should've been a two season bad guy, should've skipped season 2 and all its boring bullshit in favor of spending more time in Republic City, fleshing it out as a location, and increasing the weight of the benders vs. normies conflict, which is basically only paid lip service to. Do the whole grey morality thing they tried to do in the other seasons of Korra by demonstrating that the normal citizens who have to compete against benders for jobs or are victimized by bending criminals have some legitimate grievances. Then show Amon actually helping the underprivleged non-bender class, protecting them from criminals or dropping off food or something, increasing the impact for when he's finally revealed to be a bender. Have his origin story be longer and then spend a little time with him before his reveal, where we can hear him explain himself why he wants to eliminate bending (does he genuinely believe bending makes one an abomination? Is he just power hungry like his dad?)
>>
>>80772006
He was a Bloodbender. The most visually uninteresting of the Bending arts.

And his backstory was utterly retarded.
>>
>>80772935
>He was a Bloodbender. The most visually uninteresting of the Bending arts.
It was a good twist, actually
>And his backstory was utterly retarded.
Someone born with power and came to see it as a burden to the world that needs to be removed is a good backstory.

Now the problem is that story didn't examine his views. Because it would be a very complex a grey view on privilege, responsibility and natural superiority. And this is a shitty kiddie cartoon written by a pair of hacks so here's my fallacies, your argument is invalid.
>>
Exposition.

Bryke didn't know how to end it in the few episodes they had. So they have the council man exposition away everything about Amon.

Going from a mysterious figure with strange power. To an angry water bender with daddy issues.
>>
they still haven't explained why he was able to take away bending
>>
>>80773186
Bloodbending matched with Chi blockers? I always thought it was so obvious it didn't need to be explicitly stated.
>>
>>80772040
>>80773181
this and >>80772963

There's nothing wrong with a man of great talent opposed to the injustices of the world, but the presentation was ruined and his actual character had the depth of a scooby doo villain.
>>
>>80773224
because it was already established you needed to energy bend to take away bending

Blood also has nothing to do with your chi points, as chi is energy.

korra needed the avatar state to get it back lmao, they must've retconned amon from an energy bender
>>
>>80773310
Probably. It was a perfectly good theory, though. I hate it when writers don't use perfectly good perfectly lore-friendly element that is so obvious and end up with nothing or complete bullshit.

Just with a few tweaks it can be done perfectly logical.
>>
>>80772006
Poor writing. This is literally the only problem the show had. It was visually fantastic, voice acting was great, character designs were great, everything was set to be awesome.

But the writing was just amateur hour.

>>80773224
Chi blockers don't permanently take away bending. There is nothing in the Avatar world that takes bending away permanently, except for energy bending, which is exclusive to the Avatar.

Amon's backstory was great. His motivation was great. But the writers decided that he's too good a character, so they had to have him suddenly turn out to be a massive hypocrite and liar. And because a hypocrite and liar is bringing up legitimate issues, the writers figured that automatically means the issues aren't legitimate.

And of course we can't have any consequences, so let's just tie everything up in a nice consequence-free bow at the end. Everyone gets their bending back in 5 minutes. Instead of taking the whole next season and making it all about Korra's journey to fix the damage that Amon did to her, which could have led her to find Zaheer.

So much potential, all ruined by bad writing.
>>
File: 1401858827318.jpg (56KB, 561x506px) Image search: [Google]
1401858827318.jpg
56KB, 561x506px
>>80773250
> but the presentation was ruined and his actual character had the depth of a scooby doo villain

couldn't have said it better myself. I could actually see Bryke putting a scene at the end where Amon is captured and exposed and curses "those meddling kids and their polar bear dog!" Then Bolin would say something that's not very funny
>>
>>80773347
>Chi blockers don't permanently take away bending.
I always thought of like step up. From temporal punching to permanent disability.

Like the difference between kicking you a leg to see you limp for an hour and kneecapping you for good.
>>
>>80772006
Korra won, and the hope for equality was crushed.
>>
>>80773384
If that had been the explanation - sure, I guess that can work. Hell, they could've left it a mystery and explained it in season 2 during Korra's journey to heal, by explaining it as mucked up chi pathways, like Aang's were.

But the show never bothered to explain anything. It's just treated as a given that bloodbenders can take away bending.
>>
A better question is how did they manage to make season 2 the worst thing to ever grace a TV?
>>
>>80773447
And then in season 3 they bent the liquid metal. Fuck the lore police.
>>
Quick, try to come up with a better back for Amon

>Noatak is not a water bender Tarrlok is
>Tarrlok is forced by his father to practice blood bending on Noatak
>Noatak runs away
>almost dies in the snow
>is rescued by a couple of non benders, who take care of him
>fire benders invade their house, steal everything and kill the couple in front of Noatak
>while almost dead and filled with rage he have a vision from the spirit world
>a masked spirit tells him he will give him strengh to fight benders and clean the world
>Noatak wakes up, defeat the benders and take away their bending
>they run screaming "he is a monster!"
>Amon says "No, I'm the solution"
>>
>>80773535
Amon commits suicide realizing that he wasted his life being a proponent of rights for subhuman filth.
>>
File: 1433065679353.jpg (347KB, 1740x2240px) Image search: [Google]
1433065679353.jpg
347KB, 1740x2240px
>>80773535
>>
>That "I am the solution" line right as he btfos Tarlok

You can tell Bryke and friends were stroking themselves off over that one

Tbh it was actually really cool. God damn he was a good villain, just a victim of poor writng
>>
>>80773535
>Amon never lied
>Koh theory
>>
>>80772872
Even this shit could have worked if they presented it better. His support should have crumbled because he preached intolerance of bending, which would backfire. However, his core posse should have remained, and a cool finale could have taken place.
>>
>>80773467
To do what they wanted to do I still don't know how they could have executed it where it doesn't seem so lore breaking. They were actually keeping that particular part somewhat well aside from suddenly so many people being able to metalbend and how the metals bent like the police wires.
How could they pull off a "this [thing] will slowly and painfully trick your body into a panic as it kills you therefore making it so your defense mechanism overrides your senses" but also "but the allies you've made and friends you've kept join to save you" successfully?

Even if they say started to kill Korra's friends and loved ones in front of her, the body isn't in danger. It'd be a rage but not equivalent to a poison destroying the inside.

>>80772006
>What went wrong?
It's bloodbending, but Katara couldn't reverse it. It's a skill in waterbending, but Katara couldn't at least put her on the path to healing like in Book 4.

The fact that people can have a child with bending abilities (Katara in AtLA) despite not being benders themselves. Amon intends to do what about that?

Does eliminating bending gang violence eliminate all violence? What policies are going to be put in place to ensure equality? Why do you bomb your own city? Why are you publicly carrying out cultural genocide on an order of monks whose primary trade is baked goods and who practice non-violence unless their lives come under attack?

To go from episode 4 to 5.

Meandering plotlines.
>>
>>80773378
>Then Bolin would say something that's not very funny

Bolin improved wildly when he went from "completely ineffectual puppydog who makes bad jokes" to "still kind of ineffectual but really well-meaning puppydog who blurts out whatever he's thinking."

I laughed when he out of nowhere asked who Lin's dad was.
>>
>>80773347
>Amon's backstory was great
10/10 made me laugh
>>
>>80773944
Amon's backstory is totally tolerable on paper, honestly.
>>
>>80773964
Tolerable? Yes. OK? Yes. Great? No. It's like babby's first fan-fiction.
>>
>>80773986
Eh. What makes a backstory great? It's not so much what it is so much is how it relates to the present that makes it good. The traditionally "Great" back stories are like, batman and superman, which are both simple stories that define character.

Amon's back story gives a reason for his abilities (That I believe could have worked) and an excuse for him hiding his face (which also could have worked) and a plausible reason to hate benders.

That none of the elements of the backstory were woven in with the present was what made it weak.
>>
>>80772929
>>80772935
>>80773347

Kind of a combination of these, except don't have him as a bender (a genuine non-bender villain is interesting).

Plus bloodbending is incredibly boring. I was psyched up for a visually intense fight between a non-bending chi-blocking master (who might incorporate different tribal techniques into his combat style as sort of an anti-Avatar) and Korra. Instead we got him levitating people in a storage room.

It's not something they anticipated, since they only planned for one season, but having him as a multi-season villain would have been much better. The filler and romance shit of the first season wasted so much time that could have been spent on the conflict of the story arc. Making the city much more grey, with the Equalists doing legitimate good social deeds alongside their terrorism, kind of like a political arm and a militant arm working in tandem.

They could have also shown the disparity of the classes and the advantage of the non-benders and the bullshit that was the ruling council (seriously, why didn't people kick up more of a fuss over the fact that foreign powers sent in colonial governors and one dude got civil power by dint of being the head of his non-existant nation). Bringing the legitimate issues the Equalists had with society to light, explore them and contrast with their extreme methods and their not so legitimate issues.

Stretching out the Equalist threat over a couple of seasons, changing Amon's backstory (maybe even keeping him mostly a mystery a la V from V for Vendetta) and let Korra really struggle with the issues of society and her role as Avatar in such a world. Maybe a bit of original Season 2 could be worked in as well, with the advancing world reflecting the lack of spirituality in the South and have the Equalists stoke tension within the Water Tribe as part of a story arc (leaving out the Dark Avatar and Vaatu-Raava idiocy of course).
>>
AMON IS KOH!

I KNOW IT!
>>
>>80773378
I'm getting Zaheer sock in the mouth flashbacks.
>>
>>80773849
They could just have used a regular water based poison. It shouldn't make any difference since Korra knows metal bending and she would be dead before anyone else can help her if everything goes according to plan.

The problem is that you shouldn't be able to bend liquid metals, which they did.
>>
>>80774700
What were other Amon theories people had?

>Amon was Aang after Azula's blue lightning split the element of air away from the Avatar cycle further explaining why Korra sucked dick at airbending
>>
>>80773986
>keeps repeating non-arguments
>>
>>80772039
>Got exposed as a fraud
i think he didn't even got exposed. He wasn't with his mask so people wouldn't get to the conclusion it's him, and i doubt even if one or two people got to that conclusion, his followers would believe them.
>>
He was lying.

Would have been way better if after his family had been killed, he wandered until a mischievous spirit took pity on him and gave him a new power.
Instead he ended up being a character who no one knew, and he was just breaking the rules of the setting for the sake of WHAT A TWEEST.

fuck Amon
>>
>>80772006
a really good villain in an unfortunately shitty show
>>
File: aang amon.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
aang amon.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>80775546
>>
You guys overexaggerate too much
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.