[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's Discuss: Disney's Silver Age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: silverage.jpg (23KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
silverage.jpg
23KB, 500x300px
The "Silver Age" of Disney is generally considered to be from 1950's Cinderella (the first full animated feature film that wasn't a package released since the start of WWII), to 1967's Jungle Book (the last movie Walt had a real hand in, due to his death in 1966).

What are your thoughts on these movies? Are they the best of the bunch? I recall many of them didn't do as well at first release, but of course now they're considered big classics. Do they still hold up? Were they an improvement or a downgrade compared to the Golden Age? Are they enjoyable? Would they still be popular if they were released today? What do you like or dislike about them? Let's discuss.
>>
They're my favorite era personally. They released long before I was born, but I just find them really charming, even compared to the Renaissance. Alice in Wonderland will always be my favorite from the great visuals and music, and all the characters and settings. Peter Pan is also a classic, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella are great fairy tales, and Lady and the Tramp is the best love story of the Canon.
>>
They're ok, but in terms of story they don't hold a candle to the newer films. Also the sketchyness of the Xerox films hasn't aged well at all, it just looks sloppy nowadays.
>>
Alice in Wonderland gave me my size-change fetish. I don't know if I should love it or hate it for that.
>>
Better than the Golden Age, worse than the Renaissance. With the exceptions of the Dark and Experimental eras, each age of Disney has progressively gotten better. Revival > Renaissance > Silver > Golden.
>>
>>80546066
Not as good as golden age and the xerox work in particular tends to feel a bit dated but really some excellent films.
>>
If you like the Silver Age, Day 4 of a Disney Streamathon showing movies every M-W-F is playing Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Lady and the Tramp. Shorts on now, first movie in 15 minutes.

livestream dot come slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
>>80546486
What exactly would you say the Golden Age films did better than the Silver Age films? Because I personally have always found Silver more enjoyable overall. I suppose Golden just has better/more detailed animation. You really can't top Pinocchio in animation quality, so I have to give it that.
>>
File: 1387072932270.gif (512KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1387072932270.gif
512KB, 160x160px
>>
File: 1387081634215.gif (884KB, 244x137px) Image search: [Google]
1387081634215.gif
884KB, 244x137px
>>
File: 1391559291981.gif (3MB, 435x326px) Image search: [Google]
1391559291981.gif
3MB, 435x326px
>>
>>80546066
I dunno I don't consider those to be an age. cinderella to peter pan is one age, what with the same voices and same kinda styles going on...
sleeping beauty til the end of the milt kahl age is the kilt kahl age.. with milt kahl styles.
>>
File: 1391977509172.gif (499KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
1391977509172.gif
499KB, 500x387px
Anyone have more?
>>
>>80546868
any of aurora's feet?
>>
File: 1450783717483.jpg (65KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
1450783717483.jpg
65KB, 625x469px
dont mind me, im not here for the conversation, im just here for the animation gifs
>>
>>80546942
>yfw da bears win da superb owl
>>
Cinderella now starting in the link up there. There was a hiccup before during the first short, but it's working now.
>>
>>80546858
Never heard of that definition of the ages. What's the en dof the Milt Kahl age then, and how would you define the ages outside of them? I've always heard Silver Age as used for 1950 - 1967. The only other separation I've seen is just separating them by major animation stages, so the Xerox Age was its own thing, after the traditional stuff but before CAPS.
>>
>>80546066
They're okay movies, nothing phenomenal. That said, I still love the look and feel of 101 Dalmatians and The Sword in the Stone. That sketchy style is great.
>>
>>80546291
That's just terrible blu ray releases in my opinion.
>>
My favorite Silver Age Disney movie is 101 Dalmatians. Not just because I love dogs, but also because it holds a rather important place in animation history.
>>
>>80548315
As what, the first Xerox movie, or anything else special about it I might not be aware of?
>>
Stream is now onto Alice in Wonderland.
>>
wouldn't be a more consistently good era until 90s Disney t b h. Alice in Wonderland is my fave.
>>
>>80548315
worst gif ever from that movie. the head movements look so unnatural
>>
It really did churn out the most pure Classics, even compared to the Renaissance I'd say, where a lot wer ehit and miss. Also the fact that Disneyland opened during this era probably helped, causing a lot of these films to have the most impact on the early attractions.
>>
Stream is now starting Peter Pan.
>>
Cinderella was rather plain and boring, Alice is beautiful but a bit disjointed, Peter Pan is racist, and Lady and the Tramp encourages furries.
>>
I do not subscribe to PC culture or beliefs at all, but last time I watched Peter Pan I got up to "What Makes The Red Man Red" and had to turn it off. Not that I was getting offended, it was just embarrassing more like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKqb-YiRUtQ

Old School Disney choir vocals are fucking god tier, just listen to how this song soars.
>>
>>80552259
Yeah, the racist stuff in Peter Pan is just so blatantly racist that even racists find it "a little much". It's really something that hurts the movie overall, that it's the most blatantly racist movie in the entire Canon, when it's so charming otherwise.
>>
Stream is now moving on to Lady and the Tramp.
>>
Sleeping Beauty is a masterpiece, maybe even the best film Disney made
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.