[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>kills off a White male hero to replace him a sassy Latina

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

File: 52_1.jpg (34KB, 312x480px) Image search: [Google]
52_1.jpg
34KB, 312x480px
>kills off a White male hero to replace him a sassy Latina lesbian
>"reinvents" a dead character as a Jewish lesbian vampire for both progressive and pandering purposes
>A dead superhero couple let a classroom of kids fall into hell but it's okay because they can be ghosts together
>introduces new derivative characters with little merit
>the new "funny animal" character is actually secretly an evil monster and kills one of the new derivative characters
>obscure 90s and z-list heroes brought back just to be killed off so that we know that SHIT JUST GOT REAL
>previously humorous characters kill obscure 90s and z-list heroes because SHIT JUST GOT REAL

How can people defend Fifty Two while complaining about the DCnU?
Fifty Two is literally an encapsulation of everything wrong with mid-00s-present capeshit.
>>
>>78730691
>Mr. Mind
>new
>>
>>78730691
>>the new "funny animal" character is actually secretly an evil monster and kills one of the new derivative characters
>Implying anyone liked Osiris
>>
>>78730726
Probably referring to the Osiris storyline.
>>
>>78730781
oh right

duh
>>
Because boiling down a good story to bullet points to complain about is dumb?

And the new 52 did the opposite of what you seem to claim, there's basically no legacies anymore.
>>
52 was a fucking amazing ride. What happened to DC after?
>>
>>78731060
The BatEpic
>>
>>78731060
Final Crisis and then John's GL was the next big era of DC.

Then Flashpoint and it's been kind of wavering since then as a lot of talent has scaled back their work or gone to image/marvel. Forever Evil was big and I haven't read it yet but apparently Darkseid War is the bee's knees.
>>
>>78731060
nothing good.
>>
>>78731060
Didio hated it, so he gave us "52 done right" in the form of Countdown.
>>
>>78730691
Weak bait desu
>>
>>78731060
The BatEpic and Johns GL
>>
>>78731395
Darkseid War's pacing is really weird and there's some stuff that was pretty annoying if you're like me and feel "not muh" about some things, but it's been fun.
>>
>>78730691

Words fail me. May you never know happiness from a comic. You do not deserve it.
>>
>>78731431
He meant that Countdown was done right editorially.

52 was a complete mess behind the scenes and it's a miracle they didn't fuck it up more.
>>
>Geoff Johns
>Grant Morrison
>Mark Waid
>Keith Giffen
With all the heavy hitters on one book how could you NOT expect it to be over the top?
>>
>>78732867
>52 was a complete mess behind the scenes and it's a miracle they didn't fuck it up more.

This, and it was so bad behind the escenes that was one of the reasons Final Crisis had 3 "related· shits that didn't really didnt had anything to do with the story. 52 created sides and a huge division inside DC, and then the whole mess with the bat epic and the suits hating it, DiDio getting into fights with Johns, back then you could heard tons of different rumors
>>
>>78730691
It is just big trash.
>>
>>78736286
gr8 b8 m8 :D
>>
>>78733328
There was that issue late into things where I think Giffen and Didio wrote it entirely too. It was a mess.
>>
>>78730691
>How can people defend Fifty Two while complaining about the DCnU?

Because 52 was good and happened to feature minorities rather than this new garbage that is made purely with pandering at the forefront of all considerations rather than with telling a good story.
>>
>>78736539
What was good about Renee's story besides its depiction of cancer?
What was good about Booster's story besides the recreation of the multiverse?
What was good about Ralph's and the space gang's stories?
>>
>>78731060
Because editors hated the fuck out of 52. Even if it was my favorite weekly series.
>>
>>78731060
Post 52 DCU was amazing
>>
>>78737151
The writing
>>
>>78738494
Give me examples.
>>
>>78730777
People liked Osiris. I remember /co/ was sad he turned out to be evil, although it had been obvious to everyone it would happen.
>>
>>78738494
Oh, that magical fairy quality that only the titles you want to like have. As long as a title has "writing" then Renee the lesbian minority woman being shoehorned into Question's role, and Question being killed off in a storyline that was blatantly leading to his cure is suddenly not-tumblr.
>>
>>78738349
But Countdown was 52 done right, family.
>>
>>78731060
Morrison and Johns were given too much power and ruined everything,
>>
>>78737151
>Renee
More than anything her story was for people who already cared about the character from Gotham Central and wanted to see where she went. Her becoming a hero was great.
>Booster
Cool depiction of someone who became a hero not because it's the right thing to do, but because he wanted to get famous.
>Ralph
Trying to find a way to save a dead loved one is something a lot of people can identify with, and it was done well.
>space gang
This was one of the weakest . I'm not going to make any excuses for it. I did like Lobo in it though.

Steel's story was also great because of based Luthor. Black Adam's wasn't too good though, probably worse than space gang.
>>
>>78738994
>shoehorned
>a natural continuation of her story from Gotham Central
>>
>>78739305
Starfire was naked for a good chunk of space gang's adventures, that was nice

and the Lobo parts
>>
>>78739306
In absolutely no way is that true.
>>
>>78737151
>Booster
Motherfucker threw a Hail Mary pass that saved the multiverse. Literally. Say what you want about the series overall, but that was an amazing moment.
>>
>>78738994
>only the titles you like have good writing
well uh

yeah
>>
>>78736539
Remember/ co/, pandering is code for I don't like it.
>>
>>78736518
The issue where Ralph died.

Reportedl Waid and co. had scripted out a happy ending. And Giffen and Didio basically said nope and wrote their own ending where he died.
>>
>>78742929
Didio actually wrote the notes page for that issue in the trade. He says Ralph was planned to die from the start.

I remember there was a podcast or something with the crew a few years ago. No one was happy with how that one was turning out and I think it got close tot he deadline so Didio and Giffen just wrote it themselves. Maybe it's a thing that the 4 writers wanted to change on the fly (similar to "what if we made skeets the villain?") but Didio didn't let them.
>>
>>78743373
No Waid has claimed since his break with DC (and I believe it's been backed by a few others) that Didio spiked the script and wrote his own instead and going against the wishes of the team.
>>
>>78730691
This post makes me happy with me jumping boards around last year.
You faggots try so hard to fit in with the rest of the site that completely lost any chance to enjoy anything, kinda like /v/ and /tv/...too bad your memes suck thou.
>>
>>78743608
>implying /tv/ and /v/'s are any better
>implying /tv/ hasn't been chasing the high of baneposting with every movie and failing every time
>>
Honestly there were some issues with 52. After all, Didio was the editor and Johns was one of the main writers. But the bad is far outweighed by the utter brilliance found when you have writers at the helm who understand the essence of what makes the DCU great (as well as knowing it back to front) and who relish the opportunity to play around in a creative sandbox.
>>
>>78744466
you know Johns wrote the Booster story, right? And the only "weak" story was written by Morrison?
>>
File: 1391198504632.jpg (473KB, 1783x575px) Image search: [Google]
1391198504632.jpg
473KB, 1783x575px
>>78730691
>>
>>78744466
>Didio was the editor

Nonsense. Didio wasn't the editor. That was Wacker before he left for Marvel.
>>
>>78730691
>spoken like someone who just read the wiki
it doesn't matter because the writing is good
>>
>>78744567
I'm not sure what you consider weak but if you think Johns was on his own with the Booster story I think you are way off base. All of the worst moments in the series have his fingerprints all over them.
>>
>>78730691
>>"reinvents" a dead character as a Jewish lesbian vampire for both progressive and pandering purposes
wait who is this character? are you talking about Kate Kane, cause the vampire shit was made up by a writer we all agreed was awful on Batwoman.
>>
>>78744776
Granted, they all worked together, but some stories were more obviously one writer or another

space gang (and probably villain island) were Morrison, Booster and Black Adam were Johns, Renee was Ruckaroni and cheese, Ralph was Waid

and since Johns went on to write the Booster ongoing, it's not that much of a stretch to say he took the lead there
>>
The Batwoman bullet point makes you look like a lazy fag who didn't even take the time to check wiki sites and literally only just learned of this title and its cast.
>>
>>78730691
Kate's Jewish?
>>
>>78745053
That was established by Rucka in a Christmas story about the Lolocaust.
>>
>>78744921
And the clear contender for worst storyline is Black Adam. Booster was entertaining but when it wasn't batshit multiversal/time travel shenanigans it was fairly bland stuff.
>>
>>78743542
Honestly?
It's not a bad ending at all. Happy endings are too common in capeshit so this was a nice change.
>>
>>78744921
>Ralph was Waid

Seriously? Thought that was Morrison.
>>
>>78745141
Not if you're familiar with the characters.
>>
>>78739498
>it's good because it has an ""epic"" moment

So all MCU movies are good because they have ""epic"" moments too?

>>78744680
>the writing is good

In what way? Show it.

>>78745028
>he doesn't remember that Kate's intro was literally Renee going "HOT DAMN, she's not Batgirl. . . she's a BatWOMAN!"
>>
>>78745437
I was and am absolutely familar with the characters, just because you were in a lot of fun. lighthearted adventures doesn't mean you get a happy ending, that's not how life works. Besides, they did end together anyway.
>>
>>78745604
>In what way? Show it.
read it
>>
>>78745105
I dunno, space gang wasn't that great

and fuck you, Booster was great the whole way through
>>
>>78737151
>Renee's story
Renee's banter with Vic was endearing. The mystery behind Intergang, Renee's struggle with morality (culminating in her shooting that bomber girl or whatever), and the general film noire motifs scattered throughout the storyline made it great.
>Booster's story
Booster's rivalry with Supernova (actually, pretty much everything about Supernova, including Clark Kent's attempt to interview him), the subversion of the 'history isn't happening like it's supposed to!' trope through making Skeets evil and just a huge liar, and Booster commercializing the fuck out of being a hero and then getting exposed were all genuinely entertaining.
>Ralph's story
Are you fucking dense? The issue where he infiltrates the resurrection ceremony and then Sue actually calls out to him when it's already too late was incredible. From there we get a look at the often ignored magic/mystical side of the DCU, a probing character study of someone coping with grief, and a nice final confrontation with a Faustian bargain type story arc.
>space gang
I didn't like this one all that much but it introduced neat settings and the villain(s) were intimidating. It's a neat space opera story but I don't like space operas.

More importantly, 52 used a lot of subtle foreshadowing and set up points of intrigue across multiple story lines. The format was like a bunch of TV shows that you'd watch every week and the intersecting of different story lines was like a crossover episode and felt extra special. The overall density of the title also really helped make it feel like a joined universe (as compared to solo books that often feel like the rest of the DCU doesn't exist) and that things were happening. The tone and style of multiple writers also helped avoid Joss Wheddon/Bendis syndrome where every character sounds the same and made different characters feel pleasantly distinct from one another.

tl;dr: fuck off with your shitty bait.
>>
>>78745105
Fuck you, Booster was gold from start to finish
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.