[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Korra's a bad cartoon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 11

File: 1397612714691.png (83KB, 350x349px) Image search: [Google]
1397612714691.png
83KB, 350x349px
>Korra's a bad cartoon
>>
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>78578333
everyone on /co/ who said so ever
>>
It's a bad story. With poor plotting, poor characterization and poor poorness.

But most cartoons are no better.
>>
>>78578324
It is
It's one of the worst and shits on The Last Air Bender's legacy
It's the holocaust of cartoons
>>
>>78578324
>Korra is a bad television show

You don't have to limit it. It's bad for a lot of things.
>>
File: 1408878385918.gif (1MB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
1408878385918.gif
1MB, 500x263px
>>78578324
>>
File: cKEG8Z4.jpg (9KB, 113x110px) Image search: [Google]
cKEG8Z4.jpg
9KB, 113x110px
>>78578439
>Korra is a form of entertainment
>>
>>78578517
Korra was but a first step to true art - Korrahating.
>>
>>78578324
It's not good and is mediocre at best.
>>
I like how Korra literally almost killed action shows on tv because of how shitty it was. Thank god TMNT saved it.
>>
File: bryke.png (841KB, 708x792px) Image search: [Google]
bryke.png
841KB, 708x792px
what went wrong bros?
>>
You can tell how good Korra is because /co/ won't shut up about how bad it was

if it was actually bad, no one would talk about it at all

But the better something is, the more /co/ loves to complain about it
>>
>>78578575
>if it was actually bad, no one would talk about it at all
no one does except for sporadic waifu threads
>>
File: 1436634888619.png (139KB, 951x930px) Image search: [Google]
1436634888619.png
139KB, 951x930px
>>78578570
Hetero-Lens

And the fact all the good writers left.
>>
File: tumblr_o04rpcyj751rz8zs3o1_1280.jpg (450KB, 900x770px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o04rpcyj751rz8zs3o1_1280.jpg
450KB, 900x770px
First Korra thread of 2016?

Get in here, losers.
>>
>>78578570
Not enough filler and detour adventures. Main plot for ATLA was as lousy, but it had enough good filler to make it worthwhile.
>>
>>78578324
These threads are frozen tier cancer

Ban this already 4chan admin
>>
>>78578637
/co/ doesn't deserve to know about it in all honesty
but we live in an imperfect world
>>
>>78578634
I don't know who Aaron Ehasz is but I now attribute the original series' success solely to him.
>>
>>78578434
>shits on The Last Air Bender's legacy
to be fair, the precedent set by ass-pull lionturtle/energybending was a pretty bad omen for the writing.
>>
File: Aaron Ehatz gives advice.jpg (326KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Aaron Ehatz gives advice.jpg
326KB, 960x1280px
>>78579030
>Aaron Ehasz
>attribute the original series' success solely to him
You would be Wrong to think otherwise. He did understand characterization very well and many of the other writers on that list helped, like Filoni and Volpe.
>>
>>78579089

>How2 cards.

He's fucking dead right.
>>
its a bad anime
>>
>>78578324
>walking asspull of a character even got herself a boyfriend that she threw like it was nothing right at the end
>look at all these bad waterbenders that dindu nuffin
>look at all these bad earthbenders that dindu nuffin
>zuko's daughter did next to nothing
>FUCKING WAN
And the worst one is making korra gay so their shitty writing they wrote is practically whiteknighted by SJWs
>>
File: tumblr_nkyt1unToQ1r6btzgo1_1280.png (718KB, 1000x647px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkyt1unToQ1r6btzgo1_1280.png
718KB, 1000x647px
>>
>>78579089
Important part of character writing is that if you give your characters traits that should hinder them, they should not succeed until they overcome them, or not succeed at all if they can't overcome.
>>
>>78579076
Writing issues started before that, when the ever-loved season 2 ended with the MC getting killed and revived by magic water.
>>
>>78579729
They had courtesy to do it in a span of two episodes at least.
>>
>>78579030
He was the only writer with notable experience on the original crew, so yeah.
>>
>>78579732
That's just to have a cliffhanger of "wow the MC is dead", when they had no intention of that happening anyway. It was cheap.
HACK FRAUDS yadda yadda.
>>
Pretty much all Korra issues started with Aang. Bland canon couples. Main character not developing. Main character being worthless for the job and bailed by Deus Ex Machina. Defaulting on any kind of moral complexity.

Korra hardly became more wrong. It just became more concentrated wrong.
>>
>>78579089
Friendly reminder that Aaron told Bryke that he found Korra unlikeable when they showed him the script for Season 1.

Feedback they then completely ignored
>>
>>78579849
Considering he thaught them that likable wasn't particularly something to aim for, it sort of bites the big one doesn't it?
>>
>>78579849
She was not unlikeable. Not a first, anyway.

One of the problem is her stagnation. Being just out of isolation into big world, having to deal with its complexity and struggling is likeable. But only for a short period of time, then you going to need to pick it up.

Kinda like acting like you are 12 is likeable when you are 12, but less so when you are 20.
>>
>>78579786
This.
Sea turtle did the damage before Korra
>>
>>78579874
It is when a character has nothing else going for her.
Korra was never written to make her particularly intriguing. They tried to paint her as an underdog (despite wallowing in priveledge) and you need to sympathise with those in this kind of story.

So in this case I think that's a legit criticism.
>>
The only problem was that they didn't know in advance how many episodes they'd have

This issue ruins a lot of potentially great stories

You can't really make a good story when at the whims of the money-grubbers you're told

okay you can do 13 episodes and then maybe you're done"

"okay you can do 13 more episodes, but maybe that's the end of it"

"okay you can do more episodes, keep the ideas going bros"

Obviously with The Last Airbender they knew from the start they'd have 3 books to wrap it up in. They had a full story arc to flesh out over 60 episodes.

That makes a difference. Imagine if Korra was just the Amon story fleshed out over 60 episodes.

The potential was there. The isolated prodigy is suddenly thrust into the big city and learns about real world politics and difficult ethical issues that common people have to deal with.

There's endless stories you can tell with that, they practically write themselves.

But they had to wrap it up in 13 episodes, they thought. Then it turns out they had to make a whole new story. Then another one.

Obviously it seemed like they were repeating themselves. What else do you expect to happen in this situation?

The problem is capitalism. You can't turn art into a for-profit business, it never goes well.
>>
>>78580248
Episode count is not an issue. There are plenty of shows who manage to make a good story with 13 episodes, Bryke couldn't even manage to make one good 13 episode story, and they had 4 attempts to do it.

The only point you have is that they couldn't make a big over arching story because they didn't know they were getting 4 seasons, but they should have been able to make smaller self-contained stories each season, but they weren't able to do it.
>>
>>78579076
>ass-pull lionturtle/energybending
this was already discussed so many times.. energybending doesn't change anything. It didn't help Aang at all.

>>78579729
the water was stablished beforehand to be very powerful. And Aang didn't really die.
>>
>>78580311
Season 1 was a good story, it just felt rushed and squished. Giving it more time would have solved literally all the issues
>>
>>78580338
Being better writers or having better priorities would have solved the issue without having more time.

As you say, they rushed season 1 because they were unable to either write the story properly or had the wrong priorities.
>>
>>78580248
Movies have only two hours and do fine. Korra had almost 5 hours and fucked up its story. It's no excuse.

The problem with Korra (And to an extend ATLA) is that writers can't or won't stand up to trite socially acceptable platitudes even when they contradict the story. So they weasel out.
>>
>>78579709
Depends on what type of story you're writing.

The Cohen brothers have tons of films where ugly disgusting flawed characters win, sometimes seemingly by chance. Their films are brutally naturalistic, however, so this approach works.

With Korra... I can't really tell what it's trying to do. At the beginning of the series it seems like they're truly trying to tackle more complex themes, but without fail they give those themes a typical kiddie cartoon conclusion

It makes the writing disjointed. It's like the writers are flirting with these bigger issues, but never really committing.

Steven Universe and Status Quoventure Time does the same thing desu
>>
>>78580328
>>ass-pull lionturtle/energybending
>this was already discussed so many times.. energybending doesn't change anything. It didn't help Aang at all.
It did help Aang to avoid harsh fact that sometimes you need to use lethal force to stop rampaging maniacs.
>>
>>78580385
Movies are not the same as cartoon episodes

Each episode has to have its own little story, conflict, and resolution self-contained, while simultaneously working within and advancing the larger one

That takes a lot more time than a movie does
>>
>>78580413
>Each episode has to have its own little story, conflict, and resolution self-contained
This wasn't true for Korra. And even if it was, most movies have progression of scenes each having definitive beginning and end too.

Only difference is that schedule is stricter, but good writers can work around it.
>>
>>78580328
>the water was stablished beforehand to be very powerful. And Aang didn't really die.
That doesn't make it not super hackneyed and lame.
>>
>>78580405
>It did help Aang to avoid harsh fact that sometimes you need to use lethal force to stop rampaging maniacs.
he defeated the firelord without lethal force BEFORE energybending.

>>78580511
it is stablished to be strong way before, so i don't know what the problem is. Should we complain about the avatar state too?
>>
Legend of Korra is honestly one of my favorite cartoons. I watched it late, after /co/ had already developed it's hateboner for Season 1 and I honestly couldn't find what caused so much strife. The finale was a little hokey, but overall it was good shit. Season 2 started off a little weak, but after the Wan episodes came out and Bryke finally had a clear idea of what the fuck they were doing it was going well.

I guess I'm just not enough of a spazz to freak out at insignificant details.
>>
>>78580532
>he defeated the firelord without lethal force BEFORE energybending.
But it also allowed him to contain him, something that writers deemed hard enough because otherwise this subplot would not actually even be a thing.

Also, yes, I was coming to Avatar State brought forth by chiropractic rock and any kind of mental discipline or commitment on Aang's part.
>>
>>78580328
>this was already discussed so many times
Yeah, because it's the most blatant asspull in the show. Just because you don't want to acknowledge ATLA's shortcomings doesn't mean they didn't happen.
>>
>>78580548
Or maybe you're just an idiot.
>>
>>78580548
At least 3 out of 4 finales were like this. Characterization was also paper-thin (Does anyone have this pasta on Korra, gang and authority figures?) and plot lacked proper development. Morality was also simplistic in a story where it shouldn't be.
>>
>>78580562
>But it also allowed him to contain him
he was contained before energybending. There was no way he could leave after that earthbending. I think the subplot makes more sense with smoke and shadow; since the firelord did not die, people want him back in power. Energybending is just there to show that possibility, i think, and not to get in the way of the story.
>>
>>78580570
>asspull
>literally doesn't help Aang in anything.
>>
>>78580598
Aang ran away because Fire Lord was too powerful to contain. He returned when he came up with means to contain.
>>
>>78580328
>>78580405
Or not, the issue isn't that Aang didn't choose to kill, it's that his choice either way didn't have any consequences in the end.
Which is only an issue because they spend the 3 damn previous episodes full-on Sophie's choice teasing that Aang will absolutely have to lose something dear to him, either his morals of non-killing, or his chance at accomplishing his duty and stopping a murderous tyrant.
And fuck you could even have had him find big blue's proverbial "another way", have his cake and eat it too, but no, he doesn't have to work or sacrifice anything to get "another way", it just falls on him in one of the most literal Deus Ex Machina in recent history.
>>
>>78578324
The truth hurts, but it is a pain we must bear.
>>
>>78580591
>Morality was also simplistic in a story where it shouldn't be
In what regard? Ever villain thought they were doing the right thing. How complicated does morality need to be?
>Does anyone have this pasta on Korra, gang and authority figures?
That's pretty weak Anon. If you're going to make an accusation, at least try to back it up yourself instead of letting your internet buddies do it for you.
>>
>>78580532
>he defeated the firelord without lethal force BEFORE energybending.
The problem was never defeating him, it was stopping him durably, which was heavily implied to be only possible by killing him.

>it is stablished to be strong way before, so i don't know what the problem is
As I just said it's hackneyed and lame. It's hackneyed because it's just a way to fake your MC's death and revive him with some plot item that's been put there just so you can fake his death. It's cheap drama. And it's lame because "magic healing water". I mean fucking really?

>Should we complain about the avatar state too?
No but we can complain how his losing it was used as a plot device that never paid off.
>>
>>78580591
The characterization being basically limited to parental/authority issues is inherited from the previous show.
>>
>>78580695
Every villain (Baring perhaps Zaheer) started twirling mustaches instead of discussing how what they did is wrong, ill-conceived, unsound or whatever. "Amon is a bender so no social issues are real" is really a nadir of moral complexity.
>>
>>78580625
No he didn't, he was hypnotized and taken away by the turtle.
>>
>>78580625
you mean the earthbending that contained the firelord?

>>78580629
>Deus Ex Machina
not really

the thing is, people that think Aang "had to kill" just sounds like a bunch of edgy kids. Aang is a 12 years old pacifist; he wasn't going to kill Ozai either way, with or without energybending. Not killing Ozai surely needs to have repercussion, but that's exactly what we see in Smoke and Shadows. His actions had consequences.
>>
I completely lost interest when they decided to explain the mechanics of how being the avatar worked and came to be.

Those Wan episodes were so Midichlorian tier fuckery
>>
>>78580610
>ATLAfags are this bad at understanding storytelling
Did you not understand what the stakes were for Aang? The stakes was he could lose his morals, not that he wouldn't be able to beat the shit out of Ozai.
And even if it didn't help him (which it did) it could still be an asspull.
>>
>>78580703
> it was stopping him durably
1. Ozai had his limbs buried deep
2. Toph was right there if he tried anything

there was NO WAY for him to escape. You may feel like the 'kill/not kill' plot was unnecessary, but it did have consequences on the comics.

>that's been put there just so you can fake his death
the avatar state has been put there just so he can defeat Ozai. Katara has been put on the south water tribe just so she could find the Avatar.

>it's lame because "magic healing water". I mean fucking really?
that's how conventional waterbending heals.
>>
>>78580598
Gee, then I wonder why every secondary character and their mom was making a point that the only way to stop Ozai durably was to kill him.
They fucked up one way or another, either way this whole moral struggle was rendered completely unnecessary.
>>
>>78580759
>which it did
how?
>>
>There are seriously people defending Lion turtle energy bending.

Guys, just stop.

It was BLATANT editorial mandate because some suits were horrified of the backlash they might suffer if they ended on the moral of "Sometimes you HAVE to put your own personal moral considerations below the safety of others and the responsibility of executing your duty"
>>
>>78580793
>1. Ozai had his limbs buried deep
>2. Toph was right there if he tried anything
>there was NO WAY for him to escape.
Are they going to just stand there until he dies of old age?

Speaking of which, it's hardly more humane then killing him. Korra gave a good idea of what bender containment would look like, and it's not humane at all to put someone in there for life.
>>
>>78580725
Alright, I'll agree with you. Amon was very poorly handled in general.

So anon, would you ever give Korra another chance?
>>
>>78580815
> I wonder why every secondary character and their mom was making a point that the only way to stop Ozai durably was to kill him
because they didn't think Aang could stop him without killing him. Turns out he could. Statements done by characters =/= facts. As i said, not killing Ozai had repercussions, but even if you think that struggle was rendered unnecessary, it's not due to energybending.
>>
>>78580741
The issue is not that Aang didn't want to kill, it's that his choice had no negative consequences despite the show spending 3 damn episodes telling us it would have dire consequences.

>Smoke and Shadows
That's outside of the show, irrelevant to whether the finale payed off on what it had promised, in this case a moral dylema.

And yes Deus Ex Machina, it's pretty literally a God that comes in the story to solve the problem (moral dylema in this case) the character had been facing.
>>
>>78580841
>Are they going to just stand there until he dies of old age?
you really think they can't move him with the earth? seriously, how do you think they deal with common bender crimminals? saying that there was no way to move ozai, or that there was no way to force him into submission with bending is ridiculous.

>Korra gave a good idea of what bender containment would look like, and it's not humane at all to put someone in there for life
that was only for the most dangerous crimminals on the planet. Katara and Toph were put in normal jail, for example. Even Azula went to a fairly common place.
>>
>>78580328
>And Aang didn't really die.
Escape From The Spirit World (a canon game) said that you did.
>>
>>78580894
>And yes Deus Ex Machina, it's pretty literally a God that comes in the story to solve the problem (moral dylema in this case) the character had been facing.
with energybending? as i explained, no.

>>78580920
"canon game" you mean. Also, it does not state that you die. You're "dreaming" and have to reconnect with the past lives.
>>
>>78580793
Then why the fuck did we have to spend 3 damn episodes on how killing him was the only way?
And why did they need to fucking put energybending in there since it obviously wasn't necessary according to you?
Why couldn't they have Aang coming up with the idea of restraining him durably as a means to stop him, and telling others he had a plan?

>the comics
Who cares, the show itself is self-contained, that moral struggle they teased didn't pay off for shit. The comics most likely weren't even planned when the show finished writing.

>the avatar state has been put there just so he can defeat Ozai. Katara has been put on the south water tribe just so she could find the Avatar.
Reducto ad absurdum is not a good argument in itself. Both Katara and the Avatar state are actually used at other moments and for other purposes in the show.

>that's how conventional waterbending heals.
It obviously isn't since it's clearly said that this water was the only one that could cure Zuko's scars.

>>78580818
Was explained to you several times in this thread that it saved him from a moral dylema.

I'll never understand people like you, how did you miss the point so hard in what is apparently one of your favorite shows?
>>
>>78580870
In no way are we made to believe that Aang could do it before the fact. Previous avatars don't think he can do it, Aang himself doesn't think he can do it, and obviously neither did the writers since they gave him the Avatar state back midfight to allow him to overpower Ozai.

>it's not due to energybending.
It entirely is. At no moment does the show suggest that restraining him forever was a possible solution as a third way, the only third way it uses is energybending.
>>
>>78580906
>saying that there was no way to move ozai, or that there was no way to force him into submission with bending is ridiculous.
So why does the goddamn show make the point that this is not a solution, as before the fight they imply he has to kill him and after the fight he energybends him. At no point has anyone in the show suggested that Ozai could be durably held that way, otherwise why wasn't that fucking plan A?
>>
>>78580935
>with energybending? as i explained, no.
As I explained, yes. It's obvious too, I don't understand why you think all that moral struggle was about otherwise.
>>
>>78581021
>Then why the fuck did we have to spend 3 damn episodes on how killing him was the only way?
to test his beliefs. To see if he would get the easy way out and kill Ozai. The main argument about killing him was that he was too weak to keep Ozai alive, and not that there was something wrong with keeping him alive.

>And why did they need to fucking put energybending in there since it obviously wasn't necessary according to you?
expand the avatar universe and concepts, and to close the energybending arc that has been going since S01.

>Reducto ad absurdum is not a good argument in itself
saying it's absurd is not an argument either. It's the same thing, a situation that happened for the sake of an outcome. The water has been used by the spirit fish living there as well, and the only time the avatar state was truly used is to defeat Ozai. The entire situation where Katara finds the avatar is just as absurd as using the water.

>it saved him from a moral dylema.
he defeated Ozai before the energybending, as i explained many times. Do you think after the earthbending Ozai still could fight?
>>
>>78578324
its mediocre but its fucking over the legacy of the greatest cartoon ever
>>
>>78581197
What's it like being a mindless fanboy?
>>
>>78581084
>In no way are we made to believe that Aang could do it before the fact
like when he took down an entire army of earth nation soldiers? the only reason we think Aang couldn't do it is because he couldn't activate the avatar state from the get go at that point.

>Previous avatars don't think he can do it
they just said "if it is necessary, you should kill him", not that he is not able to solve it peacefully.

>At no moment does the show suggest that restraining him forever was a possible solution
like when Aang did with the earthbending? do you think Ozai could leave there?

>>78581110
the past lives only say to Aang that "if necessary, he has to kill". I think you're missing the point of that conflict; IF Aang needed to kill him, would he? that's what the past lives made Aang think about. It was never about not having the power to finish it without killing him, something Aang only thought he couldn't because he didn't have the avatar state.
>>
>>78581128
Did you miss the part when Aang earthbends Ozai into submission? he didn't need energybend for that, and Ozai was already defeated at that point.
>>
>>78581110
Not him, but im pretty sure the show doesn't actually say that killing Ozai is the only solution. In fact it's only other characters who imply killing ozai is the solution. The show itself always says "defeat" which could mean kill, but could also mean imprison.

it is also worth noting that i don't actually think Aangs problem was ever a moral dillemma, but was about standing his ground and making the "right" decision. Even the other avatars never actually tell him to kill Ozai, but rather that he should make a decision and stick with it, which he does before gaining energy bending.
>>
>>78581197
No, it's not mediocre, it's fucking terrible.
>>
>Korra is bad
>b-but ATLA was bad too

EVERY
FUCKING
TIME
>>
>>78581224
Fanboy? Yeah probably, i love the show. But mindless not so much. I rewatch ATLA every now and then and it gets better every time (even tho i dislike some eps in B1). When i rewatched Korra it only got worse for me. ITs just another spin on the world and the characters didnt get as much buildup and development as the ones in ATLA. I liked some of the jokes and stuff but the story and characters were going nowhere. Especially in later seasons it felt like they were scrambling SOMETHING together to get a season out of it.
>>
>>78581163
>to test his beliefs. To see if he would get the easy way out and kill Ozai.
That's not at all how it's portrayed in the show. It's portrayed as not having an easy way out, which is precisely what makes it a dylema worth 3 damn episodes.

>The main argument about killing him was that he was too weak to keep Ozai alive, and not that there was something wrong with keeping him alive.
But that's not really true either. They don't think there's a way to stop him durably without killing him. At no point do they say "but if you were stronger, you could just earthbend him into the ground and that would be done with" or anything like that.

>expand the avatar universe and concepts, and to close the energybending arc that has been going since S01.
Aint that some bullshit.

>saying it's absurd is not an argument either.
Yeah it is.

> It's the same thing
No it isn't.

> The entire situation where Katara finds the avatar is just as absurd as using the water.
Yes, but Katara has a role in the show besides finding the damn iceberg, and really saying something else is as badly written wouldn't mean this isn't. You could have had any damn schmo find the iceberg, Katara would still have a role in the show.

The moral dylema was never about defeating Ozai, as I also explained before, otherwise there wouldn't be "killing him" as an option. Your whole argument makes energybending seem completely unnecessary, which it obviously wasn't otherwise they woldn't have fucking put it in the show and would have had Aang come up with another plan to show that the "hard way out" was actually hard and not just bestowed upon you by the writers.

I don't understand how you can be so obtuse. I'm just going to assume you're the same person that always goes "nuh-huh" in those threads and stop arguing with you. I just hope you're not actually Brian Konietzko.
>>
>>78581254
True, if Aang wanted to kill Ozai he could just redirect the lightning to him when the firelord tried to use it. Aang redirects the lightning elsewhere. He already made his decision at that point.
>>
>>78581343
Wake up fanboys and smell the ashes. ATLA was bad and was not ruined by anything because it was already smoldering ruin. Just like Star Wars Original Trilogy was.
>>
>>78581234
>the only reason we think Aang couldn't do it is because he couldn't activate the avatar state from the get go at that point.
How is that not a good reason? I mean that and literally every character in the show thinking he couldn't?

>they just said "if it is necessary, you should kill him", not that he is not able to solve it peacefully.
Now you're just constradicting yourself
>>78580870
>they didn't think Aang could stop him without killing him

>like when Aang did with the earthbending?
Obviously prior to that you dingus. Like when the moral dylema was actually happening, before the lion turtle and the chiropractor rock that made it moot.

>I think you're missing the point of that conflict; IF Aang needed to kill him, would he?
And we'll never fucking know because of how the finale happened. Wow, what an interesting unresolved conflict

>It was never about not having the power to finish it without killing him
You're contradicting yourself again. And I never claimed it was, to the contrary it was precisely implied that he couldn't, making the conflict entirely was about what he should do.

>>78581252
I can't believbe how autistic you are about that "defeated" thing. Go back to /a/ or something.
>>
To be honest, the original show kinda goofed the whole "power level" stuff. It was sorta implied during the first season that the Fire Lord would be too powerful during the comet for even an avatar to handle(implying the Comet would only power up the Firebenders).

Then at some point during the story, they decide that's since the Avatar is technically a firebender too, and the most powerful one at that, that he also gets comet-buffed, meaning now instead of the established "Too powerful for an Avatar", you now have someone the avatar could overpower without even bothering with Earth, Air or Waterbending at all as long as he was anywhere near as skilled.

It went from Aang fighting the most powerful Firebender in the world who could rival an avatar using all 4 elements, to the most powerful firebender fighting the second most powerful with 3 extra elements to beat his weaker but far more skilled opponent.
>>
>>78581438
It's always the shit-eaters that insist that everything is shit
>>
>>78581254
>Not him, but im pretty sure the show doesn't actually say that killing Ozai is the only solution. In fact it's only other characters who imply killing ozai is the solution
The show doesn't have a narrator anon, the only way it tells us something is by way of its characters, and no character implies there's another way.

>about standing his ground and making the "right" decision
That's what a moral dylema is: determining what's the right thing to do.

>which he does before gaining energy bending.
That's true, but the energy bending certainly validates him in that, before that his motto was basically "I'll try anyway"-
>>
>>78581563
Neither show is shit, but claiming that LoK ruined a masterpiece is stupid.
>>
>>78581382
>It's portrayed as not having an easy way out
you mean not having 'another way out'. The only thing they talk is that "you kill Ozai if you have to", really. It turns out he could finally activate the avatar state and defeat him without killing. I think the "no way out" part was meant for him without the avatar state. He did redirect Ozai's lightning without avatar state and could have killed him if he wanted to. He just made his decision not to.

>They don't think there's a way to stop him durably without killing him
that's not stated. What the past lives say is that "if you have to, you do it". The only one i remember saying that Aang had to kill is Sokka, and i think Zuko once, but they were probably considering Aang couldn't use the avatar state at the time. Basically: avatar state = insta-win withotu killing. They just didn't consider he could use it.

>Aint that some bullshit.
they talk about energybending since S01 on the swamp episode. That had to go somewhere.

>Yeah it is.
that's absurd

>and really saying something else is as badly written wouldn't mean this isn't
my point is that with your logic, ANYTHING could be a plot device. Something that we know exists beforehand and that we know it's powerful is hardly something that came from nothing.

>Your whole argument makes energybending seem completely unnecessary, which it obviously wasn't otherwise they woldn't have fucking put it in the show
"it's not unnecessary, because he used it". That's not a good argument since we can actually see that Ozai is defeated before he used it. You can't ignore that Ozai was completely immobilized. Anyway, let me put your logic in a LoK situation: Korra fights Kuvira and opens a portal in the middle of RC. Does that mean this was necessary to defeat Kuvira at all? no. Kuvira was already defeated since her giant mecha was destroyed.

The way i see it you're mad at Avatar state, not with energybending.
>>
File: Will Costanza.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Will Costanza.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
>>78581343
>given factual evidence that ATLA shit the bed
>N-NUH UH
>>
>>78581608
>no character implies there's another way.
Aang did, you could even argue that Iroh did. The point is that only characters who had been fighting the fire nation said he had to kill Ozai, no one else did.

>That's what a moral dylema is: determining what's the right thing to do.
Yes, but the show implied that he should make the "right" decision for him. And that he should figure it out for himself. And since he spent all those episodes not wanting to kill Ozai, a non-lethal choice would be the right one for Aang.

>but the energy bending certainly validates him in that
I guess it does, but he had allready decided not to kill Ozai when he got energy bending. He might not have known how to do it, but would figure it out somehow anyway.
In a way the universe rewarded him for his persistence through the lion turtle. And it still wasn't a risk-free choice since he could literally have no doubts about the decision or the energy-bending would backfire and defeat Aang instead.
>>
>>78581540
>How is that not a good reason?
my point is: Aang had the power all along to defeat Ozai. We know that, because we know the avatar state. If you're mad Aang used the avatar state in that fight, the argument is not about energybending.

>before the lion turtle and the chiropractor rock that made it moot.
the rock, maybe. The energybending, that we are actually discussing, not.

>And we'll never fucking know
Aang literally avoids killing Ozai on that fight before using Avatar state by redirecting his lightning elsewhere. He wouldn't kill Ozai, that's your answer.

>You're contradicting yourself again
where is the contradiction

>I never claimed it was
i believe your comment was "i wonder why every secondary character and their mom was making a point that the only way to stop Ozai durably was to kill him".
>>
>>78581840
I think this discussion is going off the rail.

Nowhere power level was ever linked to energybending. The moral conflict was that Ozai was too powerful to live, but Aang would not want to kill him over which he was angsting.

Lionturtle gave him previously unheard of method of making Ozai unpowerful enough to live. Thus being an easy solution to a problem as originally presented.

If Ozai was not considering too powerful to live to begin with, the plot would not ever be.
>>
>>78581923
>The moral conflict was that Ozai was too powerful to live
>only powerful for half of a day
he wasn't generally powerful, he was just powerful because of the comet. It's not stated to be that way as well, that he was "too powerful to live", and i don't know where did you find this. Again, Ozai was trapped and all they had to do is wait for the comet to pass if they think Ozai is still a problem (which is not, really). Aang without the avatar state is not only also buffed by the comet, he was able to fight on par with Ozai. What do you think Ozai trapped in stone can do against Aang with avatar state + toph?

>If Ozai was not considering too powerful to live to begin with, the plot would not ever be.
the point is how Aang couldn't use the avatar state, and without it indeed they are evenly matched. Getting the avatar state is what "saved him", not the energybending. And even the avatar state we can argue that's an element that was in the show for a long time.
>>
File: u.gif (499KB, 500x246px) Image search: [Google]
u.gif
499KB, 500x246px
>>78579284
>Hated each other for 2 seasons
>Instant friends in season 3
>Want to scissor each other at the end of season 4
>>
>>78582323
So you didn't watch the show, then? They never really hated each other. Asami was pissed at Mako more than anything else.
>>
>>78582365
>So you didn't watch the show, then?
I did, senpai

>They never really hated each other.
Oh, both were fuming after they lusted over Mako's hard rod, if you catch my drift

>Asami was pissed at Mako more than anything else.
Because he cheated on her for Korra. Did the definition of love triangle flew over your head?
C'mon anon, Bryke's writing isn't hard to understand.
>>
>>78582519
I'm not doing this point by point bullshit man. It's a waste of everyone's time.
>>
>>78582644
You tried your best, anon.
>>
>>78582519
Its easier to ignore why asami and korra should hate each other and pretend girls fall in love like the vapid idiots who ship them
>>
>>78582365
>>78582519
>They never really hated each other
because stealing a boyfriend is what makes people like you.

Also, it was Korra that forced a kiss on Mako. Actually, Mako even says that it was a mistake and Korra shouldn't have done it. Asami is pissed at Mako, but she is mad at Korra as well since she noticed that Korra wanted to steal him.
>>
>>78578324
Please /co/ quit bragging about your never ending hate boner for Korra and just go fuck Aang since you love him so much
>>
I haven't watched a single episode but the porn is good.
>>
>>78586430
>but the porn is good
One of the only reasons anyone likes the show.
>>
>>78578324

for you.
>>
This thread got all the way to page 7 with no replies last night.
I go to sleep and come back and you morons let a thread of nothing but shitposting get to 115 replies.
Everyone in this thread who doesn't have sage in their options field every time should be banned immediately and permanently.
>>
>>78587051
You could also just ignore it which would solve your problem entirely.
>>
>>78580405
>sometimes you need to use lethal force to stop rampaging maniacs.
He could have just, you know, cut all his limbs off and tongue out. Ozai's still alive an no longer a threat.

>>78581557
It was more like after the Comet the Fire Nation would win the war, so fighting him afterwards was pointless.
>>
>>78581557
>It went from Aang fighting the most powerful Firebender in the world who could rival an avatar using all 4 elements, to the most powerful firebender fighting the second most powerful with 3 extra elements to beat his weaker but far more skilled opponent.
Did you even watch the Ozai fight? That was not a Firebender fight. Aang could barely keep up even with all his elements, until the Avatar State made it no-contest smackdown.
>>
>>78580385
Well said
>>
It wasn't *BAD* it just wasn't as good as the original.
>>
Didn't this series end like two years ago?
>>
>>78580248
>But they had to wrap it up in 13 episodes, they thought. Then it turns out they had to make a whole new story. Then another one.

Yeah, I suppose this is my biggest issue with LOK. Each season felt like its own self-contained story; there was significantly less...connection? Continuity? between the books than with ATLA.

It wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to the quality of the original.
>>
>>78578570
Not enough filler, and Korra was never challenged with a situation in which violence wasn't the answer and she had to think about what to do apart from the only good season, Book 3
>>
>>78582323
>Hated each other for 2 seasons

confirmed for never watching the show.
>>
>>78588864
It ended one year ago yet people on /co/ still keep bitching about it.
>>
>>78590080
blame people who defend it
they are the ones who make threads
>>
>>78590140
Your stupid
>>
>>78580591
You could say the same thing about A:tLA
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.