[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Publishing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: OOONIIIIII.jpg (73KB, 413x375px) Image search: [Google]
OOONIIIIII.jpg
73KB, 413x375px
How difficult would it be to start a comic publishing company from scratch currently?
>>
Pretty fucking difficult.
>>
>>78552084
Besides money what else is needed? with as many publishers that currently exist shouldn't it be easier by following what they've done and learning from their mistakes.
>>
>>78552136
Oh, well, if you already know what to do then you didn't need to start this thread.

Okay, goodbye, so long, farewell, good luck.
>>
>>78552052
tell me about five artists that are making or could make GOOD work and that don't already have a deal with a publisher which is better than your brand new company could offer them

the barriers to publishing something (ie distributing it in exchange for money) are lower than theyve ever been. starting a new publishing company depends on your ability to do something for your artists that they cant do for themselves
>>
>>78552373
Pay them more.
90s image style
>>
>>78552443
Image doesn't pay creators. That isn't their business model.

You have failed.
>>
>>78552525
Do they enslave them?
>>
>>78552567
Creators create their comics (plotting, scripting, drafting, penciling, inking, coloring, lettering, editing) independently of Image.

The creators then take their finished comic to Image, and Image only handles the business details (printing, stapling/gluing, shipping, soliciting and publicizing).

Seriously, get a clue.
>>
>>78552567
Image creators get paid a % based on how many copies they sell instead of getting paid by how many pages you produce like the Big 2.

since everyone who buys and reads image trade waits no one makes big time cash until their respective trade comes out.

>>78552052
producing 5 or 6 comics to start a line and have them come out even semi monthly is obviously the biggest hurdle but getting them printed and distributed to stores by Diamond isn't as daunting as you would think, it's costly but basically you take up an add in Previews their catalog, retailers order your comic and Diamond pays you to pay the printer and the rest of the bills.
>>
"Starting" one isn't the problem, keeping it alive long enough to put out worthwhile material and rake profits is.
>>
>>78552052
You'd have to give them more money than they could make self-publishing online, which means you'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel for contracts.

I don't know if it's the same for comics, but I know over in gaming startup publishers are just Bad News. They prowl around looking for new blood with good skills who will sign a deal before learning they get basically nothing out of it, seeing prestige and victory in being told "we'll publish you!" and not realizing it's basically a free service these days.
>>
>>78552052
Tried it once. Published a comic, put my money on the line, it sucked and nobody bought it, lost it all. You will fail too unless you sign on a big name who is guaranteed to sell.
>>
>>78552052
Harder than before, because not only are you competing for the decent creators with the already established publishing houses, you're competing with the rise of self publishing through crowdfunding.You'll either have to offer creators something they need and can't get on their own, which used to be funding to print the books and eyeballs to sell them to, both something anyone can get independently on the internet now, or catch the small fry creators in the making who haven't yet realized that they can do things on their own and keep all of the profit themselves.
>>
>>78552052
why would you want to start a comic publishing company in the first place?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.