[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the appeal of this show?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

What was the appeal of this show?
>>
It was funny.
>>
>>78451287
Honestly, as a kid it was pretty fun to me. Plus I enjoyed the art style. It... it actually made me take up drawing as a kid.

John K may get a lot of flak here and it's kinda true, he is an asshole but damn man, I spent tons of time with my dad watching this show and we both enjoyed it. They were good memories.

Now a days ? Not so much. Dad is dead.. has been for a long time.

Thanks op, I'm gonna re watch a few episodes and remember the good times.
>>
It was like Looney Tunes updated for the 90s at a time when most cartoons were complete bland and inoffensive drivel or licensed trash.

Watching it these days, I can't stand how much of it is just standing around and talking.
>>
>>78451386
hey, hope everything turn out well for you anon.

but yeah as other said it simply fun to watch, and for it's time it was kinda weird and different from other shows
>>
>>78451287
Grossout humor. It was a big thing in the 90s. Goosebumps even had a spinoff series focused on being 'gross' that read like an episode of Fear Factor.

And because we didn't have much better at the time. Look what it had to compete with :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WYh8uz3pQ
>>
>>78451287
I don't know, but I only watched just a couple of John-era episodes as a kid and once, but somehow I always remembered vividly. They stood out for wathever reasons.
Even if they made me feel nauseous I couldn't help but try to find them.
>>
>>78451287
It was pretty unique for its time.
>>
Weird pre-teens liked it because it was a little edgy and very silly and the animation was a lot more madcap and interesting to look at than a lot of the other crap on Nickelodeon.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2H_qYV-GkM
Post your favorite low-quality rips from youtube
>>
File: renwashingtits.gif (479KB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
renwashingtits.gif
479KB, 480x362px
>>78451287
>>
>>78451287
It was weird and subversive
>>
You have to look at how different it was from everything at the time. This was back when stuff like G.I. Joe and TMNT was the norm. It and other shows around that time were what changed the animation industry trends enough to make almost all the fondly remembered cartoons that followed in the 90s and 2000s possible.
>>
File: fuck australia.webm (556KB, 478x360px) Image search: [Google]
fuck australia.webm
556KB, 478x360px
Watch this episode and find out
Stimpy's Fan Club
http://freecartoon.org/watch/the-ren-and-stimpy-show-s2-e10-stimpys-fan-club/
>>
It was funny and wacky but also intense and unsettling. Kids like to be fucked up a little.

It's also interesting as a pastiche of the golden era of animation, but kids wouldn't know that.
>>
File: Ren Stimpy.gif (493KB, 495x370px) Image search: [Google]
Ren Stimpy.gif
493KB, 495x370px
>there are people on /co/ who don't like John K-era R&S
>>
>>78451386

God damn, /co/, I didn't ask for these feels today.
>>
It's gross.

Edgy people like gross stuff.
>>
>>78456399
Kek why I don't I see this used more against aussie shitposters
>>
Some of it was funny.
The hysteria of Ren is everything
>>
>>78451287
It was different, cutting edge, hilarious, all that stuff

As a result of John being fired, his creation fell far from grace but good things happened too. Everyone who ever worked under John took what he had taught them and ended up surpassing him. He really did have a huge influence on this industry even if he did in a very haphazard way. Cartoons are great now not just because of him but a lot of people.
>>
Ren and Stimpy was spongebob before spongebob
>>
>>78457932
As a huge fan of R&S I'd like to point out that Rocko is a million times funnier. Spongebob takes after it more with the whole young guy moving out into the world thing.
>>
John K is the 3rd or so greatest cartoonist to ever live. You probably saw the Nickelodeon-made episodes.
>>
>>78456399

...reference to Gundam?
>>
>>78451287
I still wonder how this classified as a kid's show.
>>
>>78462893
At the time, cartoons were only ever made for kids. Simpsons being an exception.
>>
>>78462893
It wasn't, it was a big facade and was made for the crew and other people who share those interests

kids who were watching Nick at the time were very lucky such a thing even got greenlight
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.