[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Golden Age of Animation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: ohlawdy.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ohlawdy.webm
3MB, 480x360px
Let's discuss the "Golden Age of Animation" (Silly Symphonies, Color Rhapsodies, Merrie Melodies, Color Classics, Happy Harmonies, Rainbow Parade, ComiColor Cartoons, Cartune Classics, etc).

What are your favorite shorts?
>>
sauce?
>>
>>78248986
i like how he's mexican.
>>
old cartoons are too racist for /co/
>>
>>78250198
some merry melodies cartoon circa 1930
>>
>>78250300
Nah, it's from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6mNF68bD3o
>>
>>78250323
I forgot about those guys. What happened to them?
>>
Scrap-Happy Daffy and Plane Daffy really strike a chord with me, and the Superman shorts have absolutely beautiful animation.
>>
SNAKE EYES!
>>
>>78250477
Fuck off.
>>
>>78250509
THE SHITPOSTER! AH!
>>
>>78248986

Redheaded slaves (mostly Irish) were cheaper than black negro slaves, and more expendable. They did the worst low survival rate work and black slaves looked down on them. There were many of them.

>African slaves were very expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling). Irish slaves came cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African. The English masters quickly began breeding the Irish women for both their own personal pleasure and for greater profit. Children of slaves were themselves slaves, which increased the size of the master’s free workforce. Even if an Irish woman somehow obtained her freedom, her kids would remain slaves of her master. Thus, Irish moms, even with this new found emancipation, would seldom abandon their kids and would remain in servitude.
>>
>>78250323
>>78248986
why are black people always drawn so weirdly in old school cartoons?
they don't look like people, more like weird cartoon animals, like Goofy or Mickey Mouse

>>78250223
it's either that or he's supposed to be mulatto/
>>
>>78250606
Yeah. I remember thinking they were chipmunks or something when I was a kid.
>>
>>78250561
So you're telling me that at one point in history I could buy my own redheaded qt?
>>
>>78250606

It's a more realistic portrayal than how they draw them now to be honest.

Also to answer OP's question, this is my favorite short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-qilruZCE
>>
>>78250606
Yeah. I understand the big lips thing, but when it's done like in the OP, it's kinda weird.
>>
>>78250642

The Irish slave trade began when James II sold 30,000 Irish prisoners as slaves to the New World. His Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies. By the mid 1600s, the Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat. At that time, 70% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.

Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actually white.

From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland’s population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain’s solution was to auction them off as well.

During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers. In most cases from the 17th and 18th centuries, Irish slaves were nothing more than human cattle.

As an example, the African slave trade was just beginning during this same period. It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts.
>>
>>78250606
Because in cartooning you exaggerate certain characteristics of a person.
>>
>>78250561
>>78250670
Bullshit, the Irish were practically never chattel slaves but indentured servants/convict labourers. They did of course face terrible conditions and often died before they could see the end of their contract/sentence, but they were still exponentially more likely to see their freedom and had (albeit limited) legal rights that slaves didn't. This is why planters universally began to favour Africans as well as the fact that they were cheaper and they were black (Catholicism may have been worse than Judaism but it wasn’t worse than the mark of Cain).

Fuck off with your whitewashing bullshit.
>>
>>78250648
>It's a more realistic portrayal than how they draw them now to be honest.

It's actually not. They look like bears and shit the way they drew them in the past. Now they look like whites with darker skin and thicker lips. Which is fair.
>>
>>78248986
Sorry about your thread getting massively derailed, OP.

Mine would probably be Bimbo's Initiation.

https://youtu.be/F7T7fOXxMEk
>>
>>78250711
What's with the mickey mouse noses then?
>>
>>78250648
>It's a more realistic portrayal than how they draw them now to be honest.

It's really not, though.
>>
>>78251821
>whitewashing

Fuck off back to tumblr.
>>
>>78255149
They went overkill.
>>
>>78255622

Fuck off with your pavlovian responses, I used the term correctly.
>>
File: treasure_planet_29.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
treasure_planet_29.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>78248986
Momma? Poppa?.
>>
>>78250606
Sambo artstyle was the go to for black people in drawn media.

comics had it too
>>
>>78250670
You are a massive faggot even for a tripcunt
>>
File: TP sleep.webm (201KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TP sleep.webm
201KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>78256415
Peace on Earth is p. comfy. Need to rewatch this one at Christmas.
>>
>>78250223
How do you even come to that conclusion?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.