[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

World of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

File: $_3.jpg (26KB, 486x500px) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
26KB, 486x500px
Are there any comic about the World of Darkness (or, at least, WoD-like)? I'm searching especially for something about the "minor" races of WoD (mages, henters, changelings). Thanks
>>
Seconding this! I never understood why D&D spawned countless novels and comics, while an RPG with a lore as interesting as WoD got none.
>>
Nah, WoD has zero comics based on their property.
>>
>>78244125
>World of Darkness
You mean the same universe as Bloodlines? There are no comics.
>>
>>78244125
Your ib luck OP, according to a recent press release they're working on a whole lot if new shit for the WOD ip including TV shows and games. Comics may follow
>>
>>78244464
I hope they don't blow it.
>>
>>78244238
I don't know about comics, but there's a whole bunch of WoD fiction books. Shadowrun as well.
>>
>>78244598
Really? I didn't know that! Any recommendation?
>>
>>78244603
Don't know, I haven't actually read any of the WoD novels. Here's a list, though: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Classic_World_of_Darkness_fiction
>>
>>78244598
Oh, and at least according to Wikipedia there are/were some comics as well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade#Tie-ins_and_adaptations
>>
Tremere best clan.
Brujah a shit.
>>
>>78244699
>http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Classic_World_of_Darkness_fiction

You're the most noble of anons and your taste is excellent. Long life to the Pyramid!
>>
Fucking vampire LARPers! Back to /tg/ with you! Don't make me pull out the soap bars and vegan food!

REEE, I SAY! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>78245906
World of Darkness is actually more popular for its video game Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Fantastic RPG, you should check it out.
>>
File: ScrapeandLick.png (54KB, 153x184px) Image search: [Google]
ScrapeandLick.png
54KB, 153x184px
>>78244603
Read the 13 Clan Novels if you want a lot more canon lore. They're really good and get pretty dark.

They also released a ton of campy stories based on one or two vamps each. I like some of them, but a lot of the writing is meh.
>>
File: Tzimisce_Szlachta.jpg (82KB, 521x556px) Image search: [Google]
Tzimisce_Szlachta.jpg
82KB, 521x556px
>>78244651
Yeah, someone posted them on /v/ a while back when they had Bloodlines threads nearly every day for months. They especially liked the Nosferatu one. I'm trying to find a download link for you, but its surprisingly tricky. In another link with comics, Guy Davis (from The Marquis and Hellboy / BPRD) did quite a lot of the art, back in the day.

OP, which bit of WoD-like do you want to focus on? Ancient conspiracies? Urban magic? Somewhat retarded and violent captain planet analogues? There's a couple of 2000AD ones I can think of off the top of my head that could be what you want, but narrowing it down would be helpful.

Although this might be a bit taboo to say, I personally prefer nWoD, especially Lost Changelings, Prometheans, Vigil Hunters, Descent Demons (even if I dislike the God Machine stuff in general)and Requiem Vampires
>>
No one ever talks about New World of Darkness, which must mean it sucks.
>>
File: Tzimisce,_Mekhet.jpg (150KB, 585x655px) Image search: [Google]
Tzimisce,_Mekhet.jpg
150KB, 585x655px
>>78247608
I'll talk about it if you want, anon. I really like most nWoD games Except Beast. Fuck Beast, and fuck everyone who likes Beast

nWoD never got quite the penetration into popular culture that oWoD did for a couple of reasons. First, oWoD was 90s as hell. "Alternative culture", goths, sandman fans, gaia theory, Fighting The Man as a core theme, men in black, millennial angst, all of that was big. Second, the tabletop game scene was very different. Vampire was one of the first to make it big that wasn't just a D&D type fighting and looting game - it was edgy, it had a contemporary setting, it emphasised angsty emotional stuff, and made deliberate attempts to appeal to women in ways that D&D and other games of the time did not. Tonally it was all over the place, but the core character types generally focussed on common cultures that, pre-internet, probably didn't realise how common they were -the "arty / theatre" types, the goths, the leather wearing biker wannabes, all that. It had a built in audience to pander to.

People who played the games were still nerds though. Nerds get very attached to doing things the way they are used to. I'm not making a judgement, I'm like that with quite a lot of things, I'm just saying. A lot of oWoD fans never forgave White Wolf when they finally pushed the button on the apocalypse and came out with the reboot. I have a friend who is very into Changeling: The Dreaming who won't even acknowledge Changeling: the Lost exists, let alone look at the books for it. People like him then did their best to try and get people to not get into nWoD, which wasn't helped by some fairly radical lore changes and uneven quality of early books as the writers were still finding their feet. Essentially, a lot of comparison between 10+ years of hundreds of books (most pretty crap, honestly) and one or two new core books that deliberately aimed to be more open ended and less "metaplot-y".
>>
>>78248337
The RPG business had also changed in that time. For a variety of reasons, the bottom had fallen out of the market, people weren't buying so many books generally, and dedicated game shops were going out of business all the time. A lot of companies were hit really badly by it, not just White Wolf. This only got worse as printing and distribution costs went up, and then the financial crashes of the 00s had knock on effects that raised costs higher. At the time CCP bought them out, there was a fairly good chance they were going to have to fold.

It cannot be stressed enough how badly CCP fucked everything. At the time of the merger (November 2006) WW was in talks with Obsidian to develop a new RPG. Imagine what a mid-2000s Obsidian could have made with that IP. Most people today come to WoD stuff from Bloodlines, which while really good, is an unfinished, buggy mess. If there was a nWoD based version of Bloodlines I guarantee you more people would talk about it.

Instead, CCP brought in their own staff and decided to work on their own MMO. You can read about it here.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

>One manager couldn't answer questions on gameplay or focus. I remember him standing over the shoulder of a programmer putting his finger to his lips and saying 'No - make it more... psssshhhh’. He hissed on his fucking fingertips, like the air coming out of a bicycle tire, and then just walked away.”

>mfw
>>
File: Demon the Descent (3).png (887KB, 510x1353px) Image search: [Google]
Demon the Descent (3).png
887KB, 510x1353px
>>78248366
The MMO was either stillborn from the start, or died a horrible death in development, but either way White Wolf suffered from terrible mishandling. Then, as Eve Online related projects also died from chronic mismanagement, the RPG division was forced to keep making cut backs. By the end there was essentially one permanent staff member on the books, with the rest being freelancers hired on an as-and-when basis, and books were no longer printed but released only as PDFs and POD (which cut costs, but does make it a lot harder to attract casual interest). New material was funded by Kickstarters, with decidedly mixed quality control.

The IP got sold off to Paradox in the last month or so. They want to make new tv series and multimedia events with it, and the idea of a yearly changing metaplot has been floated. There’s increased focus on oWoD, and nWoD has become “Chronicles of Darkness”.

We’ll see how that goes. I doubt it’s going to go well.

Jesus, that was way more than I meant to type, sorry.
>>
>>78248438
hey guy if you're still there
Is nWoD Mage 2nd Ed any good?
Was playing a 2e VtR game, much better than 1e.
>>
>>78244125
There were in fact actual honest-to-god standalone comics for some of the product lines. I had several thick issues of Werewolf: The Apocalypse comics(thick in that they were glued with a flat spine, not stapled). It's obvious they exist, they're 8 pages in the beginning of most clan and source books. I can say they're extremely rare though, I only knew they existed because I ordered them direct from my wholesaler's catalog at the time, so production was likely very limited. I don't know to what extent they were made for all product lines like Hunter, but dig deeper. It might be worth asking on /tg/'s WoD general thread, it has several past and current game designers namefagging and asking questions daily.

I'm surprised at you /co/, I thought you'd know more than this.

>Moonstone Books is an American comic book, graphic novel, and prose fiction publisher based in Chicago focused on pulp fiction comic books and prose anthologies as well as horror and western tales.

>The company began publishing creator-owned comics in 1995, and since 2001 has also published material based on a number of licensed properties, including Zorro, Doc Savage, The Avenger, Buckaroo Banzai, Bulldog Drummond, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Mr. Moto, Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar, The Phantom, Honey West and several titles based in White Wolf's World of Darkness.
>>
File: 200px-CheironGroup_mark.jpg (25KB, 200x328px) Image search: [Google]
200px-CheironGroup_mark.jpg
25KB, 200x328px
>>78249739
Its looking like it is, but its been delayed again. It might be out at some point around Easter next year, but who knows at this point. I think the art is done now at least.

What do you like about 2e more than 1e?
>>
File: 1448891480226.jpg (269KB, 860x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1448891480226.jpg
269KB, 860x1152px
>>78244265
>>78244379
>>
>>78249946
Touchstones and the new humanity system
masks and dirges
reworked coils
reworked protean
>>
>>78249915
cursory glance at Moonstone's current website, looks like they still sell Vampire and Werewolf comics for $1.99 an issue, fair in this day and age of 3.99/4.99 horseshit. Nothing for the more obscure lines though.

The most interesting thing I ever saw for Changeling was the Arcadia trading card game that was out in the late 90's, you built maps and landscapes and went on quests with folding character cards that became awesome little statuettes. The gameplay was clearly focused in the dream fantasy setting and no cross-over into the gritty real world, but it's worth a look for filling out half of a campaign's design and theme.
>>
>>78244699
thats not how you write gangrel buddy
i agree in brujah being shit
>>
anyone here knows of werewolf ?
i cant remember the name if the clan that really hate humans
>>
>>78250324
Red Talons. Only breed with other wolves, so their human genes are ancient/never updated & their human forms look like neanderthals/cavemen, and kill humans without a second thought
>>
>>78250055
Fair enough. I've not been able to play a 2e game or had time to do more than skim the book, and some of the fluff and mechanical changes bothered me a bit.

>>78250324
Probably the Red Talons in Apocalypse and The Pure in general in Forsaken.
>>
>>78250381
>>
why, for some godforsaken reason, are there so many melissidae mentions/supplements

nobody likes your fucking bee people
>>
>>78250377
>>78250381
neat, thanks
i remember a pal who said some clans reach 10f tall
werewolves were this big in the books ?
>>
File: Nosferatu 14.png (1MB, 1304x819px) Image search: [Google]
Nosferatu 14.png
1MB, 1304x819px
>>78250415
From my limited experience, developer favouritism and/or fetishistic reasons explain quite a lot of otherwise baffling decisions.
>>
>>78250461
I think 10ft was the average height in full furrytankform, some clans and breeds have hunches and were bulkier, the Silent Striders were probably the tallest on average for having the egyptian jackal god look. Size could go slightly higher with Gifts activated in games, I don't remember it from the novels. There was one notable Red Talon in the novels, and got dragged onto a plane ride and through a city on some ridiculous plot, and she was clearly uncomfortable with her looks and language skills in human society, but the murderous edge was not there.
>>
do werewolves have clans with magic ? like tremere to vampires
if so how havent they defeated or killed all the vamps ?
i remember from gangrel story the they hate each other a lot
>>
>>78250581
well fuck
10f of muscles and rage
>>
>>78244699
Fuck off Gangrel a best.
>>
>>78250609
Werewolves are magic as fuck, and powerful with it to boot. They are actually charged with killing vampires off, but vampires as a whole have generally learned to blend in with humanity or set up entire networks that if you kill one vampire, there's a good chance that whoever caused torpor or Final Death would have enough shit flung at them that they would no longer be able to blend with the mundane world as well as they currently do, if not risk their status as a werewolf revealed outright.
>>
>>78250609
Werewolf magic is tribalistic/shamanic and tied to spirits. Uktena were the broadest "casters" and were themed to be warlocky and focused on binding and imprisoning things that were too big to deal with or abstract dangers, like cursed entities and things. Werewolves don't like open engagement around people, their own version of the Masquerade and maintaining secrecy to human society, and they're typically different environments. Vampires operating outside major cities were butchered on site by most werewolves, but werewolves were usually killed in cities due to vampires being prepared on their own turf, and barring some past settings like Dark Age Europe or Wild West, there was very little open aggression in large numbers that wouldn't expose both sides to human observation, and humans would then hunt both down and exterminate them with military and spec ops as well as Hunters keeping them both out of positions of power anything close to the Underworld movies. Glasswalkers and Gangrels were hated but typically had the skills to survive with little bits of territory(good gangrels wouldn't get caught in the wild and stay away from known werewolf areas, and Glasswalkers build successful companies and connections, but vampires still rule the business world in most cities)

So, two different territories, with cautious overlap.
>>
>>78250277
>>78250761
Get off my board you wild animal wannabes.
>>
>being anything but Nossie
>>
>>78250859
>>78250863
oh nice
thats awesome
thanks for explaining
>>
File: the book of nod.jpg (259KB, 586x950px) Image search: [Google]
the book of nod.jpg
259KB, 586x950px
>>78244125
How has this not been mentioned yet? I own it and it's pretty good, the prose more than the art, but the art has some really good high stylized pages too
>>
>>78244623
>>78244651
Does any-one have DLs of these?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.