[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Comics You Read Once And Then Never Again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 819PvN66TFL.jpg (401KB, 958x1500px) Image search: [Google]
819PvN66TFL.jpg
401KB, 958x1500px
Shit you read once because people say that you have to, and then never pick it up again, for whatever reason.

I think reading CoIE is sort of like a rite of passage for comic fans more than anything else. It's dense as fuck and it gets kind of monotonous.
>>
>>78210905
art is fucking gorgeous tho
>>
>>78210905
I enjoyed it way more on a tablet. I just zoomed in an read it one panel at a time.
>>
I've only read it once but I plan on reading it again when I have a better understanding of pre-Crisis DC.

Most of my only only read once books are terrible ones like The Unfunnies or Batman: The Cult.

>>78210950
This, it's worth reading for the panelling alone.
>>
I can never get tired of reading Crisis, there's no other book in history that distills so much love for DC Comics into a single epic full of fucking amazing Perez art at his absolute prime.

And to think that there really was never anything like it before it came out.

If you read CoIE and don't come out in love with the DCU, you weren't paying attention.
>>
>>78210905
>Comics You Read Once And Then Never Again
Pretty much all of them. Reading comics is bad enough once, I don't feel like making my brain bleed by willingly going that crap a second time. The only comics I've ever been able to tolerate enough to read twice are Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman run, Wonder Woman: The Circle, and Sinestro Corps War.

I fucking hate comics, but I got nothing better to do with my time.
>>
>>78211031
>I fucking hate comics, but I got nothing better to do with my time.

/co/.
>>
Honestly I love COIE. I read it maybe once a year.

To answer your question, Kingdom Come for me. I just didn't find any part of it compelling or particularly enjoyable and I usually like Waid.
>>
>>78211109
>Kingdom Come
Yeah, me too. Waid's FF run as well. I kind of gave up on him after those two.
>>
>>78211047
>/tv/
ftfy
>>
File: tidusa.png (417KB, 638x481px) Image search: [Google]
tidusa.png
417KB, 638x481px
>>78211031
>I fucking hate comics, but I got nothing better to do with my time.
This describes /co/ too well
>>
>>78211031
Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't mistake being a shitposter for having friends?
>>
>>78211047
I feel like this should be a banner or something.

>>78210905
Wayward. I tried getting into it but it is way too weeb for me. Dropped.
>>
File: by the seven seas.png (129KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
by the seven seas.png
129KB, 626x626px
>>78211031
>>
>>78211047
>I fucking hate video games, but I got nothing better to do with my time.

/v/

It works on so many levels
>>
I read Lemire's Sweet Tooth once. not a bad comic, it's just a once read thing for me whereas I go back and read underwater welder and essex county more than I should

green hornet: year one. again, enjoyable comic but i haven't read it in ages
>>
I just finished COIE on the weekend. Pretty heavy reading but enthralling too.

Personally I won't the trial of Barry Allen again (Flash Vol 2 #340 - #350).
>>
>>78211300
It's the downside of this forum. It's one of the few places you can actually criticize things, but it makes people into these joyless hipsters insisting on hating everything to fit in.
>>
>>78210950
>>78211008
>art, panels
I've only read COIE once, but I flip through it multiple times a year just to remind myself what creators who don't have contempt for their audience can produce.
>>
>>78210950
I fucking hate Perez and old art as well, it looks gross, I realise I'm in the minority though
>>
>>78213567
What is "good, non-gross" art to you? Is it just the production aesthetic of bright flat colors that turns you off or what?
>>
>>78211491
I've only read the first 10 or so issues, and I can already kind of feel that. I've read some interviews with Lemire where he talks about the book being in constant "it might get cancelled so keep the plot in a perpetually resolvable state" and IT SHOWS. After the intro arc it just kind of....sits.
>>
>>78213750
Not that guy, but I'd say it's because of the shit coloring job that pre mid 90's comics have.
>>
>>78213750
I think it's mostly due to colouring, I don't like Perez because he draws a trillion things on a page, I think the first thing I read that he did was JLA Avengers, which really put me off. I prefer modern art colouring, I have a future imperfect trade that just had the cover re coloured and it looks good. But old books put me off, I liked Kravens last hunt, but reading it was painful because of the art.
>>
>>78213567
You're entitled to your opinion, but I hope you acknowledge that you have unspeakably awful taste.
>>
File: Crisis on Infinite Earths.jpg (4MB, 3976x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Crisis on Infinite Earths.jpg
4MB, 3976x3056px
>>78213893
>>78213916
>coloring
>million panels and characters
>ya'll hate it for the reasons I love it
In that case, cheers. Different strokes.

>>78214091
cool your jets turbo
>>
>>78213916
probably don't like stokoe or graham either pleb
>>
File: thronem.jpg (408KB, 1000x793px) Image search: [Google]
thronem.jpg
408KB, 1000x793px
>>78213893
I wish you would die
>>
>>78214189
You know I didn't mean tip top tier stuff. You can't tell me that shit like Death of Superman has good coloring.
>>
>>78214091
I haven't been into comics for very long, so most of the books I started with were modern, it's hard to appreciate the old art when you're used to modern sensibilities
>>
>>78214229
>You can't tell me that shit like Death of Superman has good coloring

The coloring in that isn't god-awful, it's merely ok. Though i think they should've gone with the darker colors to reflect the mood like For The Man Who Has Everything did.
>>
>>78211047
>>78211192
This should be embossed in gold at putting entrance,
>>
>>78214264
>it's hard to appreciate the old art when you're used to modern sensibilities

Not really. I started with modern comics and I like older art better most of the time.

It's completely a preference thing.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.