[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Good Dinosaur confirmed the biggest Pixar flop ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 9

File: good-dinosaur-poster.jpg (1MB, 1523x2182px) Image search: [Google]
good-dinosaur-poster.jpg
1MB, 1523x2182px
>only grossed $ 58.4 million domestically after one week release
>even the other territories, the performance doesn't look good with only grossed $28.7 million
>>
It had shit marketing, what can you expect?
I also thought the landscape looked way too good for these cartoony dinosaurs walking around. Just felt jarring.
>>
>>77888245
Gollygosh, you're kidding!
Take something kids love for being badass and violent and make them into goofy-ass hanna-barbera rejects.. How could it go wrong? I mean kids love Barney, right? Certainly playgrounds around the countries for decades have not sung mocking songs about it
>>
>>77888245
>still gets two sequels
>one is still released in theaters
>>
I won't be seeing in theaters, but will eventually since I goddamn love dinosaurs.

I doubt it will be a complete failure when all the dust settles, since it will likely be in theaters for quite a while. Just the nature of animated movies.
>>
>>77888748
lemme axe you something anon
why do you like dinosaurs? what is it about them you like?
>>
>>77888481
Walking with Dinosaurs did just fine with hand puppets.
I think I'll just rewatch that instead of seeing Good Dinosaur.
>>
>>77888788
I like that they're basically lizards and birds but big
>>
>>77888788
How can you not love animals in general despite extinct or extant???
>>
>>77888806
even that dud "Dinosaur" did better. At least it managed to take a relatively unfamiliar dino (iguanodons) and give them quite unique faces, able to tell them apart, even with all those realistic details.
They were UGLY faces, but still
and that styracosaur that looked like a real fat droopy negro woman was neat too. just.. neat. why couldnt that kind of style have stayed in vogue? fuck i thought the lemurs were cute too. if that movie had had a decent plot..
>>
>>77888840
'zat thing up there look like a lizard or a bird to you?
>>77888856
i'm being socratic
>>
How come Disney has made Pixar worse, but not Marvel?
>>
>>77888806
Walking with Dinosaurs was GOAT... for its time, it looks like shit now. I do still love that part at the beginning where we travel back in time, that was my shit back then.
>>
>>77888921
>>77888806
The movie was shit. The series was great.
>>
>>77888654
Barneyfag pls
>>
>>77888892
It looks kinda like a lizard
>>
>>77888245
I'll be honest, it's kind of deserved. It's probably the most paint by the numbers Pixar movie to date, aside from the weirdly out of place bits that would do better in a Dreamworks film. This should be a lesson to Pixar about the dangers of corporate meddling.
>>
>>77888788
wtf
what dingbat doesn't like dinosaurs
>>
>>77888859
>this
>>
>>77888245
>You know what this means, Disney exec?
>What's that, fellow Disney exec?
>Less original movies, more sequels.
>>
>>77888921
Someone post all those scenes that had their meaning gutted by executive decisions
>>
I actually had no idea this was coming out until I came on here. It's like there was zero marketing for this and it's surprising since it's Pixar.
>>
I'm going to find a camrip to see how bad this is
>>
>>77888654
>kids
Kids don't buy tickets. Moms do.
>>
>>77894905

It's not like Inside Out made a lot of money. oh wait
>>
>>77889470
it clearly has a beak
>>
>>77888859
I loved Dinosaur as a kid. I got one of those theater cardboard standees of the main character for my birthday about a year after it had come out.
Of course, I bet if I watch it now, it'll be a steaming pile of shit, but it'll never be able to take away my childhood memories of loving it.
>>
>>77895406
So what you're saying is we need a sequel to Inside Out.
>>
>>77895247
I saw a commercial for toys of the characters before I saw a commercial for the actual movie.
>>
>>77895426
Of course. 80% of /co/ jerks off to Inside Out.
>>
>>77888481
>It had shit marketing, what can you expect?
This. Who the fuck even knew this shit was coming out? I didn't see a single commercial. It sucks that it flopped though, Pixar is probably just going to stick with boring shit and sequels
>>
File: We_need_someone_to_be_the_bait.jpg (155KB, 1456x1038px) Image search: [Google]
We_need_someone_to_be_the_bait.jpg
155KB, 1456x1038px
>>77888245
Land before Time did everything better and got me laid, all The Good Dinosaur ever did was take 12 of my dollars and my ass virginity.
>>
>>77895928
>the land before time got me laid
what.
>>
Speaking of Pixar, did anything ever happen with Newt? I know it got canned because Dreamworks was doing Rio, but I wonder if they ever did anything with the assets or whatever.
>>
>>77895426

Inside Out has a premise that lends itself well to sequels.

I can easily see it being continued in the way Toy Story was, a story like Toy Story 3 a couple years down the road about Riley becoming an adult could be about as good as that.
>>
>>77895942
I think it turned into Rio, same plot basically.
>>
>>77888245

that's a pity. it had flaws but man it didn't deserve to bomb that hard.
>>
>>77895928
Did you do a duckey voice until they promised anything to get you to quit or something?
>>
>>77896075
If I did that then they would have just blown their loads in my face.
>>
File: image_47.jpg (150KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image_47.jpg
150KB, 900x900px
b-but I was promised it was _____good_____
>>
>>77888245
because its blatant Oscar bait
>>
So does this mean Anomolisa gets the best animated feature Oscar?
>>
anyone got a good camrip?
>>
It was pretty terribly paced. Decent movie though.
>>
>>77895942
Rio was not DreamWorks, it was Blue Sky, but since both DreamWorks and Blue Sky are now 20th Century Fox, I'll give you an excuse.

Don Bluth is still their best asset, their [20th Century Fox's] best movie is still Anastasia. The Secret of NIMH is by MGM but still Don Bluth and I haven't watched it yet.
>>
>>77896326
Yes, a CAMRip just came out, find it in major torrent sites. But you didn't hear it from me.
I just need an English CAMRip of The Peanuts Movie.
>>
File: 25517l.jpg (95KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
25517l.jpg
95KB, 355x500px
>>77888245
I barely even seen anything about this movie. Surprised it came out almost right after Inside Out, but that just means this was Pixars B team so no big loss that it flopped.

Also Japan already did this concept but 10 times better and with kung fu.
>>
I walked in expecting E.T. with Dinosaurs.

Instead I get Cowboy Dinosaurs and Velocirustlers.

Still mad we didn't get to see Stegos Bill
>>
>>77896014
>Inside Out has a premise that lends itself well to sequels.
It might if it was any good.
>>
>>77896996
fucking loved that movie
trex-fu was the best shit
>>
>>77897063
I fucking love Sam Elliot.
>>
>>77888788
They're the closest we got to the world having dragons.
>>
>>77888245
Honestly it was like they didn't even care about this movie to begin with

Who even really knows it's out? Even I thought it was months off with their lack of marketing and honestly I don't have much of a desire to watch it
>>
The dinosaur just looked bad. Not only was it jarringly cartoony compared to some of the other visuals, it just looked bland. Just this green smooth thing that looked like something you'd buy for your kids at the liquor store to shut them up, and after they'd teethed on it for half an hour, they'd lose it in the backyard and it'd get covered in dog shit.
>>
>>77888245

Wait. This is out already?
>>
>>77896014
>Inside Out sequel
>Riley is a teenager and her hormones cause the emotions to be flung into chaos
Would you watch it /co/?
Hard mode: Would you watch for any other reason than to just jerk off to teenage Riley?
>>
>>77896996
More people need to see this movie.
>>
>Remake Ice Age with dinosaurs
>Make it ugly as shit despite being renowned for beautiful animation
>Don't market it at all
Deserved to fail to be honest
>>
>>77898385
>implying /co/ hasn't already jerked off to loli riley
>>
>>77898800

Why do some many of you say it had terrible marketing? Because you didn't see any commercials for it? I saw a shit ton of commercials for it, do you guys even watch television?
>>
File: 1444212398532.jpg (10KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
1444212398532.jpg
10KB, 230x219px
I feel like the only one who liked that movie
>>
It looks incredibly generic. That's why I won't see it in theaters.
>>
File: 1447523548385.png (273KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1447523548385.png
273KB, 1000x1200px
I saw it, and it was alright. But, you could really feel all the meddling that went into the production. As well, a lot of segments didn't flow well together, like I was totally pulled out of it when it became a Dinosaur Western seemingly out of nowhere. The plot was bare bones as well, and it really didn't add up to anything, honestly. The Dino Kid just learned to control his fear and that it's not Spot's fault that that his Dad died.

In all honesty, I thought that when Arlo had his fantasy when he was knocked out, that he actually died and that the lesson was that death was inevitable which is why it shouldn't be feared, and why most fear is trivial anyway. Though, it would have sucked for everyone else had Arlo kicked the bucket right then.

I could totally see the whole concept being remolded into something great with the right hands, but now it's just an average Pixar movie. Better than Cars but nowhere near Ratatouille or Wall-E.
>>
It came out?

Didn't even know.
>>
Did this go through a lot of development hell? Or rewrites? It seems like the setting and world were entirely unused, could have done the story in pretty much any setting.
>>
>>77896996
>that just means this was Pixars B team so no big loss that it flopped.

From what I've heard, the original plan was to release TGD first and then Inside Out afterwards.

But Pixar decided that after 3 mediocre-to-descent movies, they really needed to get rebuild their reputation. So they post-poned TGD and finished Inside Out first instead.

That's right.

Even Pixar knew this movie would be subpar.
>>
>>77899323
It went through a lot of development hell. It started out as dinosaurs in the modern day (really for real modern day) where humans are viewed as pests like mice.
>>
>>77899213
This.

When I didn't know much about the movie I was intrigued by the action figures. Then I read about it and the production problems... long story short I decided to wait this one out.
>>
>>77899338
From what I've read online, the previous director pretty much said Pixar should re-lease it on schedule, but Lasseter and other Pixar execs thought it was too risky and needed to be buffed out; though, they actually chiseled it into an entirely different movie.
>>
I personally found the idea of T-Rex's being cattlemen and galloping across the planes like stallions to be the best idea I've seen in animation in years.
>>
File: 1445906886021.gif (389KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1445906886021.gif
389KB, 400x225px
>>77899746
>Lets Ride
WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN? YOU AREN'T RIDING ANYTHING! YOU'RE JUST RUNNING LIKE A HORSE THAT DOESN'T EXIST. YOU ARE A T-REX, WHAT COULD YOU EVEN RIDE?

Dinosaur Western was cool but unexpected though.
>>
>>77888481
Yep, hardly anyone I know knew it was coming out. Most people love Pixar movies just automatically at this point so if people had known it probably would have done better.
>>
>>77898834
Okay.
Compare its advertising campaign to, say, the Minions movie.
>>
>>77888245
Never really understood the plot beyond "rock missed the earth." Older storyboards and such made it seem like Dinosaurs just continued to live into the modern era.
>>
>>77899746
that should have been the core. Dino Cowboys and the young Tenderfoot.
>>
From a pure aesthetic design concept it failed horribly. It couldn't make its mind if it wanted to be surreal or a realistic imagery film.

Add in the horrible marketing and boring trailers and you had a flop set up and ready to go.
>>
>>77899845
From what I've heard "dinosaur farmers" was the whole point of the movie, to the extent the previous director focused "too much" on it.
>>
>>77888856
Gril detected
>>
>>77888856
Post tits.
>>
It was True Grit with dinosaurs. Loved it.
>>
>>77900026
>>77900300
what
>>
>>77902319
You heard me!
>>
>>77899084
dumb dinoposter
>>
>>77895534
I dunno, they probably weren't expecting much from it. The lack of advertising and troubled production gives off a 'if we break even on this, it'll be fine' feel.

Besides, even before this flopped Pixar has nothing but sequels on the docket anyway, except for their Book of Life movie.
>>
Don't forget the stupid premise is "a dinosaur keeps a boy as a pet" instead of the other way around. Would it kill somebody to make My Pet Tyrannosaurus?
>>
>>77888245
To those who saw it, flopping aside, where does it fit in Pixar's tier list?
>>
Mammals > Dinosaurs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6cuf29ztM
>>
>>77900875

thats a first
>>
>>77888245

Obviously it would flop, people are used to One Pixar film a year, and Inside Out came out like 5 months ago. Everyone probably though it came out next year, like it's suppose to.

I still want to see it.
>>
>>77902548
It's... honestly the weakest Pixar movie. Don't get me wrong, it's still better than a lot of the shit non-Disney studios are pumping out, but it's definitely the weakest. It doesn't develop a theme at all until about two thirds of the way through, and never to a satisfactory degree.

It's frustrating, because you can tell that with one more go around with the script it would've been great, but it had to be shoved out the door. Moving to two movies a year for Pixar was a mistake.
>>
>>77899812

Minions already had two highly sucessful movies before it, and are basically Mascot status.

Also Minions budget was significantly less than Good Dinosaur so they obviously could put more in it's ad campaign.
>>
>>77888245
this movie bothered me when I watched it, because I couldnt help but realize the original script must have been about a boy and a wolf cub surviving the wilderness together.

that would have made a far better movie being set in the wild west, not this dinosaur shit.
>>
The scene where Arlo & Spot trip out after eating bad fruit is hilarious as is the look on Spot's face ..right.. before the psychedelic effects start and he realizes what's about to happen. That was awesome Pixar.
>>
File: you are umasou.gif (3MB, 331x200px) Image search: [Google]
you are umasou.gif
3MB, 331x200px
>>77896996
Pretty good movie desu.
>>
>>77899746
It is a really good idea but hearing that other great ideas and plot points were shoved to the side so that some exec could force more western cliches for the sake of his cowboy nostalgia is a disappointment.
>>
The movie's earned 87 million dollars so far on a 200 million budget. It also hasn't been released in Japan or China. It'll get its money back and then some but it won't be highly profitable.

To be expected from an incredibly mediocre movie.
>>
>>77903145
That's not at all what the original script was like. The plan was always to make a dinosaur movie.
>>
They definitely didn't advertise it nearly as much as Inside Out.

You can tell they knew it was the lesser film.
>>
>>77888908
Disney makes things good
Marvel went from bad to good only talking about the movies
Pixar went from Great to good
>>
/co/ will hate on it because it has no waifus.

It was alright. The pterodactyls eating the fox was a little fucked up.
>>
>>77905403
The storm will provide
>>
>>77902319
Let me break it down for you:

You type like a Tumblr-tard, which /co/ associates with girls.

You also were talking about loving all animals, a very female thing.

So you were demanded to post tits, because you're probably a girl. If you aren't a girl, you're just an unfortunate human being.
>>
>>77905458
nigger, I'm not even the anon they were talking to or the one you assume I am
>>
Inb4
>I miss the golden days back when pixar produced modern masterpieces like Inside Out
>>
>>77895426
please god no
those faggots are the worst part of /co/
>>
I saw plenty ads, it just didn't interest me. The aesthetic style they went for is awful.
>>
>>77895348
And who asks them to take them idiot.
>>
>>77905852
Can we still see your erect penis?
>>
>>77906290
wait till after I'm done fapping
>>
>>77888654
I'm still mad about the raptors designs
>>
>>77888245
If it was disney, it would be a hit.
>>
>>77906227
The parents usually ask the kids. Only time Kids really ask parents is to see PG-13 and R shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 268x263px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 268x263px
>>77888788
I spectated your repeating digital numbers
>>
>>77905458
>Tumblr-tard
Funny. Since I have never been to that site.
>>
>>77896104
Or into your back while you slept
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.