[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

>This wont ever get a sequel despite being the most faithful

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: images[1].jpg (73KB, 622x933px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
images[1].jpg
73KB, 622x933px
>This wont ever get a sequel despite being the most faithful comic book to movie adaptation
>>
>>77829705
>the most faithful
I dunno mang... I'd say Watchmen was the most faithful, even with the changed ending.
Dredd 3D was missing a lot of the sci-fi and satire found in the comics.
>>
>>77829705
it wasn't that faithful, but it was good
>>
>>77829902
>>77829745
It depends on the issue. It reminded me a lot of the America series which was darker.
>>
>>77829953
Anyway, whether it was faithful or not, it doesn't change the fact that I was positively surprised.
Dredd is really unique, because it goes a little against your expectations.

No major recognizable villain, or some capey story, just business as usual for the judges, a day in their life
>>
> most faithful
The Stallone movie was more faithful except that he takes the helmet off and hooks up with Hershey at the end.

Sin City is the most faithful comic movie I've ever seen
>>
For Anderson it was life-changing experience that will forever change her views on the world.

For Dredd it was Tuesday.
>>
>>77829705
>most faithful
It was Faithful to the tone to SOME of Dredd stories and to the overall character Dredd
That said, faithfulness isn't really that much of a plus. I mean Hellboy 1 and 2 aren't faithful at all but they're still pretty great.
>>
File: Lalli get out.png (154KB, 300x375px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Lalli get out.png
154KB, 300x375px
>sequels are the best thing ever and must always happen
>>
>>77830218
It's clear Dredd is written with sequels in mind.
>>
File: url10.jpg (1MB, 1848x987px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
url10.jpg
1MB, 1848x987px
>>77830218
> Not wanting to explore the Dark Judges
> Not want to gaze into the fist of dredd
> Not wanting to see Dredd cross the cursed Earth
5 years in the iso cubes creep
>>
>>77829705
I fucking adore this movie. It's such a shame we won't get a sequel.
>>
>>77829745
>Watchmen was the most faithful
kek

Watchmen was only faithful on a very surface level. That movie really missed the mark on the characterization.
>>
Why did plebs and casuals not like it?
Is this how /v/ feels all the time?
>>
>>77830503
Basically everyone I showed it liked it.
It was just a total lack of PR.
Inversely, you can sell the biggest shit with a huge advertisement budget.
>>
>>77829705
Dredd is an excellent example of it's type, I don't think that "faithfulness" was something they were particularly trying for.
It's a shame there won't be a sequel but I don't think it really needs one. I'm happy they told a self-contained story and left us wanting more.
>>
>>77830480
I didn't say it was perfect. Just more faithful than Dredd 3D
>>
>>77830503
A friend of mine who doesn't read comics watched it and loved it. He later asked me about comics stuff and infodump. Anyone who watched it, liked it. It's just that Dredd is not that known nowadays.
>>
>>77831175

It wasn't, though.
>>
>>77830503
>Why did plebs and casuals not like it?
Because it's a 3D sequel to a shitty 90s Stallone film.
>>
>>77830503

Dredd is only known to America because of the Stallone movie. 99.9% of America doesn't even know Dredd is a comic.

They all thought it was some retarded sequel to the 90s Dredd movie. Lots of shit movies get niche sequels that only three people like, especially in sci fi. A bad case of assumption on the audience's part.
>>
>>77831253
It was

>>77830480
>missed the mark on the characterization.
No.
>>
>>77831403

No, and yes.

Daniel attacking Ozi at the end was cringeworthy bad.

The whole movie was an attempt to recreate the movie 1:1 from the comic and all that shows is the fact that the director didn't really get the point of the story, plus all of the little changes stick out (eg punches mean bones are sticking out).

It's the storytelling equivalent of uncanny valley. Tries so hard and all anybody can see is the imperfections. It becomes repulsive.
>>
>>77831524
>No, and yes.
Again, no.

>Daniel attacking Ozi at the end was cringeworthy bad.
>Muh random extra-dimensional squid

>It's the storytelling equivalent of uncanny valley
You're gonna pull a muscle.

You're giving Moore too much credit.
>>
>>77830095
Been a while since I've seen an opinion as shit as yours.
>>
It's cool, but it isn't faithful at all.
>>
>>77831616

Wow, all you managed to say in this post was that the squid was stupid.

As though that has anything to do with characterization.

You're grasping.
>>
>>77829705

It's a shame but whatever. I heard that Karl Urban might end up playing Ocean Master. So atleast he'll still be doing cape stuff.
>>
>>77831677
You mentioned the ending first, you troglodyte, which was as a matter of fact, better in the movie.

You claimed characterization was bad without giving an example, (inb4 but nite owl II isn't fat) you have zero grasp of storytelling, narrative and characterization.
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 480x342px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 480x342px
>>77830503
I remember I was trying really fucking hard to get my friends into theatres. They just did not want to watch, just didn't.

Then they were asking if I've seen it and telling me I should watch it, it's awesome.
>>
>>77831775
>You mentioned the ending first, you troglodyte
lol retard doesn't even know who he's talking to

>You claimed characterization was bad without giving an example
No actually I did provide an example.

Here's a tip for your tiny brain:

Daniel attacking Ozi is stupid.

For characterization reasons.
>>
>>77831893
Oh, my bad.

Daniel attacking Ozi is stupid, yeah, it's not like first they were trying to stop him killing millions of people and it's not like he was angry by the death of his friend.

Yeah it doesn't make any sense.

Neither of you 2 understand tiddly twat about characterization, you should stick to ANAD Marvel.
>>
>>77830503
It just wasn't marketed. Everyone I know who has seen the movie loved it. Hence, ridiculously high Blu-Ray sales compared to ticket sales
>>
>>77830112
Simply why it was great
>>
>>77832002

>Yeah it doesn't make any sense.

Glad you can see that. It's pretty stupid that a guy that hides his feelings in a shell while acting out only in specially defined, planned acts would suddenly start throwing willy nilly punches for no reason than to feel better. It goes against everything he's built for. The comic's reaction is much better, he does what that type of person actually does when faced with such a ridiculously huge event.

Not only does it not make any sense, it's not a good adaptation. It's something that only someone who didn't get the story would put in their movie so the audience would feel better in that Ozi got punched.
>>
>>77830503
It suffered because it was filmed before the Raid yet the Raid came out before this while there was legally fuckery going on with Dredd's post-production

Their similarities prompted most critics to yell "RIPOFF" and the population out there that refuses to make their own decisions followed in suit.

Plus selling an R-Rated film is tough, there is a real lack of merchandising once can do.
>>
>>77832462

They really should just ignore the whiny soccermoms and start selling toys from R-rated movies again. Kids would love it.
>>
>>77831345
>99.9% of America doesn't even know Dredd is a comic
Totally anecdotal, but I know a guy who's as "normie" as you can get, yet when the subject of comics came up he admitted to having read Dredd back in the 80s. So maybe it's more like 99.8%
>>
>>77832324
>for no reason
>that type of person
>yet that type of person punches people as hobby
Like I said, stick to ANAD, you can't into characterization.

>It's not a good adaptation
It is, in fact, in some ways it's improved upon Moore's original, you just deluded yourself into thinking it isn't to feel like a special snowflake.
>>
>>77832975
>Like I said, stick to ANAD, you can't into characterization.

You just said his reason for punching someone is that he has punched other people.

That is literally the depth of characterization that you got to.

Ahaha.
>>
>>77830326
>Dark Judges
Let me stop you right there. There is no way a modern audience would accept them. Otherwise, they would deviate very far from the originals.
>>
>>77833092
No, are you illiterate? You said it was "out of character" for someone who punches people as a hobby to punch someone.

This is how retarded you are.

So yea, you're wrong, aha.
>>
>>77833208
>No, are you illiterate?

No. Duh.

>So yea, you're wrong, aha.

That's still just you.

There really should be some kind of intelligence test before you can post here. Almost every superhero punches people. Very few of them do it for the same reasons.

You keep screaming about characterization yet so far in about a dozen posts all you got out of it was that punching people is Owlman's overriding character trait. You're the dumbest motherfucker I've seen on 4chan in a long time, we're done.
>>
>>77833166
That was the plan anyway. 2nd movie Chopper and the Cursed Earth, 3rd was going to be Dark Judges.
>>
>>77833320
>No. Duh.
Kinda looks like it.

>That's still just you.
Wrong again.

>Almost every superhero punches people
Yet you complain this superhero is punching someone.

>You're the dumbest motherfucker I've seen on 4chan in a long time, we're done.
2/10 almost saved face.

So again, kid, you clearly don't know what a logical reaction, and you don't know how characterization works, you should read Moore's work, you insult him by misinterpreting them.
>>
>>77829705
I went to see the movie in 2d, since 3d just seemed like a stupid gimmick to me (the name of the movie is dredd 3d ffs), but during certain scenes I really wished I was watching the 3d version.
Dredd is the only movie that made me feel that way.
>>
>>77830095
"Opinion as shit as yours"

Sin City literally used the comic as storyboards.
>>
>>77833462
The 3D was used well - didn't feel very gimmicky at all. Certainly gave the drug-induced-state scenes a bit more (deserved) edginess.
>>
/co/ where do I start with more modern dredd? I tried the complete case files from where you said to start (book 4 maybe? been a while), but no matter how hard I try I just can't into silver age.
>>
File: 06549583489659.jpg (23KB, 310x288px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
06549583489659.jpg
23KB, 310x288px
>>77834284
I used to have the recommendation pic. Is Judge Anon still kicking about? Let me try to summon him real quick.

JUDGE HERSHEY IS THE BEST GIRL ANDERSON IS JUST OK.

and a pic of Miss Army Knife should do it.
>>
File: Recommended Dredd.jpg (203KB, 800x681px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Recommended Dredd.jpg
203KB, 800x681px
>>77834284
>>77834551
I'm not Judge Anon, though I do share the same hemisphere with him. Here is the reco pic.
>>
>>77830326
pic makes a dope ass wallpaper
>>
>>77833166
Yeah who would pay money to see a movie featuring analogues to the four horsemen of the apocalypse. How crazy.
>>
>>77833166
>There is no way a modern audience would accept them
What about the Dark Judges would be so difficult for a modern audience to accept? You realize we're getting an Infinity Gauntlet movie and have already had a record breaking GotG movie.
>>
>>77834284
If you'd like some modern Dredd, try "The Pit." If that doesn't work, read "Origins", and from there move through Tour of Duty, then Day of Chaos, then Trifecta, and then you're all caught up.
Also, even if you can't into Silver Age, read Block Mania and Apocalypse War. You owe it to yourself.
>>
>>77830065
+1
The city as a setting plays as much of a part as Dredd
>>
>>77830237
>>77830218
I'd settle for a TV show. But the closest thing we had to a Dredd TV show got cancelled too.
>>
Fuck right off with your "most faithful" you fucking idiot. Its a good movie but it wasn't faithful to anything
>>
>>77836227
>Block Mania and Apocalypse War
I have read The Dredd Case Files up as far as 14. Block Mania and Apocalypse War are just two of the multi part mega stories that are highly recommended.
>>
>>77829705
Faith is meaningless without works, brother.

And unfortunately, the movie didn't work on an audience pull level
>>
>>77830065
>No major villains
Still, though, imagine a Rico sequel.
>>
I'd rather see a animated version.
>>
File: Judge Dredd 172.jpg (132KB, 707x960px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Judge Dredd 172.jpg
132KB, 707x960px
>>77836839
Yep, in volume 5. I tend to recommend them because they're one of the biggest peaks in Classic Dredd, and rightfully so, being a masterclass in pacing and characterization and escalation and big huge art and so on. Plus, I just really love the damn thing.
>tfw a friend sent you this print from Vice Press but you still haven't got enough money to get it framed
Feels poorfag.
>>
>>77829705
It was faithful to a lot of the tone but not necessarily to the details which isn't a problem at all

If you were to say it was the best comic to movie adaption, I'd agree
>>
>>77830503
It's not that they disliked it; all the casuals I've shown it to who like action films loved it.

It's that the marketing was fucking dreadful and they didn't do much to distinguish it from the other film.
>>
>>77833002
>yet that type of person punches people as hobby
Okay so you didn't read Watchmen, why didn't you say so
>>
>>77837293
> It was faithful to a lot of the tone but not necessarily to the details
Comic book Dredd has not evolved much since his first inception in 1977, he is a very one dimensional character. The stories and the environment of Mega City 1, however, has changed. Most of the earlier one-off weeklys in 2000AD were far-out and are in a big contrast to todays strips.
>>
>>77829705
>most faithful comic book to movie adaptation
that's not Sin City
>>
>>77833462
Where I am there were no 2D showings at all. If you wanted to see Dredd in theaters you had to pay extra and wear the stupid glasses. Yet another thing that hurt Dredd's box office.
>>
>>77830503
Cost overruns and delays caused by problems with the 3D meant there was very little money left for marketing.
>>
File: 153pam9.jpg (36KB, 600x398px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
153pam9.jpg
36KB, 600x398px
>most faithful comic book to movie adaptation

Actually, if we want to get technical, the award probably goes to something like Road to Perdition, since they used the graphic novel for the filming storyboards.
>>
>>77840833
C'mon, Sin City obvs.
>>
>>77829745
Watchmen is only faithful in the utmost superficial sense of the word.
>>
>>77833166
>There is no way a modern audience would accept them

Modern audience couldn't accept Dredd's morea realistic and gritty tone either, what's your point?
>>
>>77830503
My friends watched it recently and loved it and they'd never heard of the comics or even the Stallone movie
>>
>>77831644
except he isnt wrong.

Stallone film got the world and the scenery right

Urban got the mood and characterisation right
>>
>>77840434
>sin city
>a faithful comic
any adaption was doomed to fail
>>
>>77841960

The first movie is great. Captures the mood well and stays very true to the aesthetics of the comic. The second one suffers from poor pacing, poor effects at places and the different segments don't flow nor compliment each other as well as they did in the first movie.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.