[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /co, fa/tv/irgin here. what did you guys think of the lion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

sup /co, fa/tv/irgin here. what did you guys think of the lion guard premiere?

the animation and some of the music are obviously amazing, but i was really bothered by the massive retconning and kiddification of the pride lands mythology, also the whole thing doesn't seem to fit canon-wise with Lion King 2
>>
File: Mufasa.jpg (11KB, 350x354px) Image search: [Google]
Mufasa.jpg
11KB, 350x354px
>the animation is amazing
>>
>>77749287
>>77749359

Okay OP, so the animation is a cut above your average cartoon aimed at very young children, but lets not get carried away.

more lion king is great, but this is never going to be what anyone wants it to be. in the end i highly doubt its going to be worth a watch.

Heres what i thought was good

>The backstory about scar leading a team of badasses, and murdering them with his roar of death

>Animation isnt garbage

>Its MORE LION KING

As for the bad

>Mufasa just popped up without any real build-up, looks like talking to the ghost of your ancestor isnt a special event anymore, just call him up on your cloud phone.

>Fucking african word memes left and right, i can handle a few, but they just spew them every chance they get, stick to zuka zama, and only shout it maybe once per episode.

>The "symbol of the lion guard" feels too magical for rafiki and lion king in general, actually the entire roar thing kind of comes out of left field, we never had this kind of blatant magic in the movies, it was always subtle.

>Voice acting is shoddy, the writing, not the casting

They had far too much plot in the premiere for kids to follow, but it was broken up with very safe, shallow, childish conflicts, which in the end were dull to see played out.

At a glance, it looks like an interesting story, good voices in the cast, good music, good art, but im certain none of these will actually be used all that effectively.

TLDR
Good TLK plot, but the roar magic is out of place, and it seems it will be kiddish to actually bear watching.
>>
>>77749556
Twende kiboko!
>>
Not gonna watch it until a handful of episodes are out. Most cartoons shit the bed on the first two to three eps before they get into the swing of things.

Not looking forward to it tho.
>>
>discussing the lore of a show for little kids
>>
>>77749863
First day on /co/ m8?
>>
>>77749287
>kiddification of the pride lands mythology
And now you'll be telling me TLK is a deep, adult movie.

But it's not.
>>
>>77750924
no, it's not deep or adult, its themes are age old archetypes

what i mean is that the whole "guided by ancestors" thing was kept really vague, and there wasn't a real theme of "magic", except for the one moment when mufasa appeared, and that was an awesome otherworldly moment. now summoning the dead kings is a superpower that you can train, and mufasa just casually pops up in the sky to spout expository dialogue. it cheapens the whole thing.

also in LK 1 and 2 it was always made very clear that both Simba and Kiara were always totally out of their depth when they tried to do something brave or heroic - getting them almost killed and in fact getting Mufasa killed in the process.

Now it's literally Saturday morning cartoon levels of danger (i.e. none) where four little kids are gonna be the patrol that defends the land (but, just as one hint to the problem of continuity, are nowhere to be found or mentioned for some reason when the banished lions attack in LK2)
>>
Kinda reminds me of that one show with the magical cartoon horses who learn that friendship is magic.

What's it called again? Horseland or something?
>>
>>77751013
The Diminutive Equine Sorcerous Comradery Half-Hour.
>>
>>77751013
Steven Universe
>>
>>77751013
your big foal i think
>>
Birb is best character.

Protagonist and his friends are cute, but this is going to generate a lot of deviantart OCs and fanchildren and fetish art.
>>
>>77750995
When humans first used the fire they thought it was a gift from the gods. They had no idea that in future they would master its creation and use to melt rocks and master lightning.

Progress arrives at the Pride Lands too. In some centuries any cub in the pride lands will have ancestors search engine, instant wind messenger and focused roar will be the ethical way of hunting killing the prey instantly and painlessly.
>>
>>77751102
>Progress arrives at the Pride Lands too

openly gay/trans lion WHEN
>>
>>77751135
When bluebutt clan master paint surgery.
>>
>>77751135

You know, lions in real life have a pretty big tendency to be gay.

http://listverse.com/2013/04/20/10-animals-that-practice-homosexuality/
>>
>>77750995
Okay, here you are correct.
>>
>>77749287
You're mad about kiddification of a tv show made for kids? Were you this upset about "mythology retconning" in the Timon and Pumbaa show back in the days?
>>
>>77754745
>You're mad about kiddification of a tv show made for kids?

yes. the movies were made for kids too, that doesn't mean it has to be retarded

>Were you this upset about "mythology retconning" in the Timon and Pumbaa show back in the days?

no. i never saw much of that show and what i did see never seemed to clash with what i knew. of course there weren't any sequels then.
>>
Rob Lowe as Simba threw me off. What's Matthew Broderick doing that's so important.
>>
I would think they'd go out of their way for Simba not to be super racist (speciest?) after the whole fiasco with the hyenas = black people in the first movie. But Simba kinda racist. Also Lion saving his sister is lame, Kovu seems to not exist.
>>
>>77756003
>Kovu seems to not exist

you could argue that this is set shortly before the events of LK2. that still doesn't explain why the shadowlands are still inhabited by hyenas when it is stated in LK2 that they had all bailed (by implication: after scar was overthrown) and why nobody ever mentions kion or the oh so legendary and crucial lion guard when there's a fucking war with the banished lions

also kiara is totally out of character
>>
Zuka Zama is horseshit. They're trying to make a new Hakuna matata but it just fell flat.
>>
>>77756003
*Kion
What a stupid name
>>
>>77756078
plot twist: zuka zama means horseshit in kisuaheli
>>
>>77755021
>yes. the movies were made for kids too, that doesn't mean it has to be retarded
I'm sad to tell you this dear anon, but I'm afraid it is you who is...retarded. It is terminal.
>>
>Lion Guard
>Only one Lion in it

Fucking Disney Jews and their multicult propaganda.
>>
Fucking magical lion tattoos
>>
>>77756289
Ragtag teams are a common-as-fuck trope. Makes it super-easy to add visual recognizability to character designs without having to worry about six different lions looking more or less the same in a simplified style.
>>
>>77751013
Our Small Equines?
>>
File: tumblr_nya85avjyU1qbxxf8o3_1280.png (587KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nya85avjyU1qbxxf8o3_1280.png
587KB, 1280x720px
>>77756063
>MFW your brother gets bitchin powers and sweet sweet Cheetah/Leopard tang while all you get is a pair of lesbian groupies.
>>
>>77756164
It pretty much means yolo in swahilli.
>>
>>77749287

lion king 2 was shit.
>>
Those walk cycles. Ouch. They try to avoid having the lions walk as much as possible but they still move like wind-up toys.
>>
File: tumblr_nyazq2BciA1u1jgioo1_1280.png (335KB, 864x936px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyazq2BciA1u1jgioo1_1280.png
335KB, 864x936px
Best part of the show right here.
>>
>>77749556
>looks like talking to the ghost of your ancestor isnt a special event anymore

Wait, even as a toddler seeing the movie for the first time in the cinema I thought Simba wasn't really talking to Mufasa's ghost, just giving a form to his doubts and resolving his internal conflict by recalling and coming to terms with his memory. You are telling me it was meant to be real spirit channeling?
>>
>>77758372
yes. afterwards, rafiki makes a joke about the strange weather, and in TLK3, timon and pumbaa witness the storm turning into a lion's shape from afar. it clearly happened literally, although as a storytelling device, of course it stands for everything you just said nonetheless
>>
>>77758245
When will you people learn that lions are not sexy
>>
File: tumblr_nyakgkdBjl1r35vjio1_500.png (73KB, 417x359px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyakgkdBjl1r35vjio1_500.png
73KB, 417x359px
>>77758806
Lesbian lions are cute.
>>
>>77758985
>>77758245
Wonder what happened to the drawfag who was going to do lewds of them
>>
>>77758245
>>77758985
god these retarded faces where you don't know if they're horny or awkward or if they're about to throw up

i wanna punch whoever made these
>>
File: dfsageq.png (937KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
dfsageq.png
937KB, 1366x768px
>Not posting best girl.
>>
>>77761869
You mean ugliest designed girl.
>>
>>77749556
>The "symbol of the lion guard" feels too magical for rafiki and lion king in general, actually the entire roar thing kind of comes out of left field, we never had this kind of blatant magic in the movies, it was always subtle.
Simba could do something similar in Kingdom Hearts. Maybe Lion Guard is a sequel to the Kingdom Hearts version of the Lion King?
>>
File: birthmark.png (110KB, 310x190px) Image search: [Google]
birthmark.png
110KB, 310x190px
>MLP:FIM invented birthmarks
>every show that has a character with a birthmark "wants the brony audience"
>>
>>77757471
Its a pre schooler show anon.
>>
>>77763231
I would rather watch Jelly Jamm
>>
I'm five minutes in and I'm already incredibly bored. Also Rob Lowe is a horrible Simba
>>
>UNBUNGABELIEVABLE
This is the worst catch phrase
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.