[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why DC’s Dolphin Needs a Comeback

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: Dolphin_001.jpg (228KB, 567x1346px) Image search: [Google]
Dolphin_001.jpg
228KB, 567x1346px
>DC has been slow to follow Marvel when it comes to female characters; they’ve had success with Batgirl and recently Bombshells, but they have yet to reinvent their history and characters as Marvel is currently doing.

>Why not start with Dolphin, a female character that rivals the powers of Aquaman and has limitless potential?

>Dolphin’s main problem was she was written by people who didn’t know how to utilize her or be more creative.

>Think of what Dolphin could be in the hands of writers and artists such as Gail Simone, Kelly Sue Deconnick, G. Willow Wilson, Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Marguerite Bennett, Amy Reeder, Fiona Staples, Katie Leth, Mairghread Scott or Babs Tar?
https://archive.is/K67DM

Thoughts?
>>
I'd be all for it if she kept her outfit which she probably wouldn't.
>>
>>77741683
>Why DC’s Dolphin Needs a Comeback
She's hot
>>
>>77741732
Well duh its basically calling to reinvent/rewrite the characters ala Spider-woman/Batgirl
But how do you make yoga pants and a leather jacket work underwater?
>>
>>77741683
>https://archive.is/K67DM
I read the bio and I still don't know what the appeal for Dolphin was.
>>
File: Sona-aquaman12-17.jpg (620KB, 1838x1021px) Image search: [Google]
Sona-aquaman12-17.jpg
620KB, 1838x1021px
S'ona > Dolphin
>>
>>77741683
I like Dolphin, so why not.
Also, implying that DC needs to follow Marvel's example and "reinvent their history and characters" in the same way.
>>
>>77741796
Yeah that needs to change
>>
>>77741683
>tldr DC needs more barefoot girls
>>
>>77741683
>DC has been slow to follow Marvel when it comes to female characters

can you fuck off with this talk

Black Canary, WW, Harley, Poison Ivy, Star Fire, Catwoman all have ongoings. Just say you have a fetish for dolphin, don't put it under some equality pretext. Even then Mera would be more likely to get an ongoing.
>>
>I hate everything anyone's ever done with this character but she should be revived
>also only a woman should write her regardless of talent
>>
>>77741956
Casuals mental gymnastics to claim Marvel is setting new comic book standards are always laughable.
>>
>>77741683
>they have yet to reinvent their history and characters as Marvel is currently doing.
So wait, do they want to bring an obscure DC character out of obscurity simply because she's obscure?

If that's the case, where the fuck is the love for Lady Cop?
>>
>>77742640
No, they picked a female character that isn't currently being used to push their message of "DC needs to progress like Marvel does!"

Ignoring the fact that DC currently publishes a higher percentage of books starring women and PoC than Marvel, and hires more of 'em too.
>>
Also, looking through the actual article, it's obvious that the first part that goes over Dolphin's history is straight outta Wikipedia.

Also,
>It’s now 2015

Also also,
>Ezekiel McAdams is a freelance writer, and just finished his first novel, a YA fantasy fiction.
>YA

>>77742685
That's the subtextual reason for this guy's plea. I'm honestly suspecting that he wrote this article for the hipster cred. Like, "Hey there, Mary Sue! Here's an article that not only criticizes DC Comics, but it also calls to attention an obscure female character! That totally puts me one over your current significant other, if any. Right? If not, do I at least get paid for this article?"
>>
>>77742792
Oh, and he spelled Babs Tarr's name wrong.
You'd think with the amount of research into his list of female creators that he's implicitly naming off the top of his head (read: He just looked through his Twitter feed), he'd make sure to double-check his spelling.
>>
They should call out DC for not having a super girl ongoing. Really want to know wants going on with that.
>>
>>77742685
>Ignoring the fact that DC currently publishes a higher percentage of books starring women and PoC than Marvel

is this really the case? ANAD has a whole lot of female titles.
>>
>>77742926
Let's see
Marvel
>x23
>Wanda
>hellcat
>squirrel downs
>bw
>mockingtits
>spider woman
>ms marvel
>outrage-gwen
DC
>wonder woman
>batgirl
>blackcanary
>Harley
>Catwoman
>Starfire
>....other Wonder Woman
And that's omitting teams and minis.
>>
>>77744266
to be fair this is coming off a massive line wide relaunch and some of those marvel titles will be cancelled.

DC is missing Supergirl from their line, Birds of Prey is also noticeably missing.

Anyways it's not about list wars, it's absurd to say DC is lacking in female titles or creatives. That hasn't been true for a long ass time.
>>
>Read COIE
>Dolphin's in it
>Dolphin is a cute
>Doesn't appear in anything else

Aside from assuming that the character 's reintroduction would be a comeback (she was always a B-tier superhero, I thought, not exactly popular), these calls always inevitably erase whatever core concept was at the original's heart. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the character, I really only knew her from COIE which made a point to mention nearly every character who existed at that time, but I'm going to ask exactly what about Dolphin offers 'limitless potential'? The dude just drops some names and saunters off.

Granted, I'd be hyped for my background waifu to get an ongoing, but I'd like something a bit firmer than "this could be awesome guys, just imagine the thing with the thing!" Not to beat a dead horse, but that's why Bendis Guardians got such a huge backlash on this site (although apparently not with the rest of the audience, as frustrating as that is).
>>
>>77741683
>>Think of what Dolphin could be in the hands of writers and artists such as Gail Simone, Kelly Sue Deconnick, G. Willow Wilson, Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Marguerite Bennett, Amy Reeder, Fiona Staples, Katie Leth, Mairghread Scott or Babs Tar?

Welp, shoulda expected that list of suggestions.
>>
>>77744409
But it FEELS true.
>>
>>77741683
Is this some kind of troll article? Fucking Dolphin? She was never anything more than a Z-list character. Why Dolphin? Why not just push for the Aquagirl introduced during the Sub Diego arc who actually somewhat did stuff, was on the Titans, etc.?

I just don't understand this.
>>
>>77744830
Because she swam around with no pants on in PAD's Aquaman so she's great.
>>
>>77744928
But "reinventing" her would just simply remove that aspect.
>>
File: brightestday10.jpg (171KB, 600x643px) Image search: [Google]
brightestday10.jpg
171KB, 600x643px
I will bring her back as Blaqualad's girlfriend just so OP can bitch about it.
>>
>>77745036
OP seems like the kind of guy who'd think that's still a powerful statement.
>>
>>77741683
Shit like this is why they won't use Amethyst from Futures End verison and instead, we get half assed adventures of Tim Drake being Batman Beyond.

DC doesn't need quirky "fun" books - those failed by being hollow or have a rabid fanbase established already such as Batgirl.
>>
Why not just give Mera a book
>>
Problem with Dolphin being brought back is

1. She's Aquaman and Aqualad/Tempest's fuck buddy they pass around between the two and DC is doing their damnest to push Mera as an A-Lister instead, which means no fucking way would they want to bring back Aquaman's whore. Especially since....

2. They not only let Geoff kill Dolphin off (for no good reason even!) in Infinite Crisis, they also killed off Garth so they could replace him with a nigger, who they realized sucked so badly they BANNED writers from using him in the New 52.

Geoff hates Dolphin and more so, hates Garth. We only now got Garth back if only because of Titans Hunt and I doubt since he's coming back to the Aquaman comic, Geoff will acknowledge Titan Hunt and Garth's existence, if not bring him back so he can re-kill him.

And since Dolphin's sole character arc is Aquaman dumping her when Mera came back to him and passing her off to Garth, when he became Tempest, no one is going to shit on Mera to redo that entire arc, since Dolphin basically is DC's version of Crystal in terms of being the go to whore for the super-hero set.
>>
>>77741802
It's not leather from a cow but from a sea creature.
>>
>>77741683

>themarysue

for a bunch of men hating feminist they sure love shoving Marvel's cocktail up their mouths as far as they can.
>>
File: shivasaurus.jpg (139KB, 667x686px) Image search: [Google]
shivasaurus.jpg
139KB, 667x686px
>___ needs to come back

Im not saying you're wrong for wanting characters back. I certainly have my faves Id love to see again or more of.

But I think you should stop and think that if you ask for these characters back, there's a good chance you might get them
>>
>>77741683

>DC has been slow to follow Marvel when it comes to female characters;

Stopped reading right there
>>
>Only women should write female characters
>We have to have a black director for black Panther

I live in a world where liberals unironically want segregation . What the fuck happened?
>>
>>77748555
And they don't even name any good female writers
>>
>>77748645
Several of them aren't even writers.

>>77748476
>we never got a crazy, 70s, Hong Kong/exploitation style story about OG Shiva hunting down the imposter who left her for dead and stole her name
>>
>>77748673
True. They should stop pretending they want women writers in it and just want their clique to write more shit
>>
>>77748684
Can't really fault them for wanting their clique to have more work and you never know when a writer will surprise you on a title. Dolphin's such a minor character who hasn't appeared in a very long time that you'd pretty much be getting an OC anyways unless you drop a complete canon autist on the book.
>>
>DC has been slow to follow Marvel when it comes to female characters
Dropped. When will this "Marvel is so much more progressive than sexist/racist/homophobic DC" meme end?
>>
>>77741683
>Think of what Dolphin could be in the hands of writers and artists such as Gail Simone, Kelly Sue Deconnick, G. Willow Wilson, Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Marguerite Bennett, Amy Reeder, Fiona Staples, Katie Leth, Mairghread Scott or Babs Tar?

Yeah, I don't exactly see that being anything particularly amazing with these names.
>>
>>77748400
Sea cow.
>>
>>77748741

>Women At Marvel Comics Watch – January 2015 Solicits: 20 Women On 14 Books
>Women At DC Comics Watch – January 2016 Solicits, 31 Women On 20 Books

Why does Marvel hate women so much?
>>
>>77748380
>Geoff hates Dolphin and more so, hates Garth.
Why?
>>
>>77748762
It's probably just the DC Bendis guy.
>>
>>77741683
Why not just use Mera? Fucking casuals.
>>
>>77748758
At this point I'm convinced Marvel/Disney is paying all these shitty websites to write articles like this.
>>
>>77748380
>2. They not only let Geoff kill Dolphin off (for no good reason even!) in Infinite Crisis
>for no good reason even!

Events need Z-listers to die, buddy.
>>
>>77748783
Tbh, Aquaman is most of time Arthur/Mera book.
>>
>>77748787
Backdoor shilling or scratch-my-back type of deal, you have to disclose sponsored content.
>>
>>77748806
Well, now it is. Mera's only been a great character for several years. Point still stands though.
>>
>>77742925

Supergirl's practically headlining Justice League 3001, which is itself turning into an all female team in few months time. Superman just died, Batman's going to be replaced by his great^10 grand daughter who's a brown teenaged girl using a Bat-mecha armor and Green Lantern's Guy Gardner turned into a woman.
>>
>>77741956

This so much. DC has had that on lock for decades while Marvel once had no female ongoings and no female writers or artists and even now DC beats them in all three.
>>
>>77741683
>>DC has been slow to follow Marvel when it comes to female characters
Fuck off! When the New 52 launched DD had on goings for Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Birds of Prey, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Voodoo, and probably something else that Ic an;t rememeber and Marvel had what? X-23 and Ghost Rider both of which were cancelled before the end of the year. Marvel has only ion the past year caught up to Dc with female representation.

I am so fucking mad right now.
>>
well thats a character no one has ever heard of.
>>
>>77749461
>give Z-lister solo ongoing!
What could possibly go wrong.
>>
>>77749470
Marvel do it all the time.

DC's problem is that the internet has decided that they smell like poo and that means no matter when they do they'll always bein the wrong.
>>
>>77748811
These websites don't have any sort of journalistic ethics.
>>
Times like these makes me wish /co/ had its own publication where you could rip these bullshit articles a hole the size of Saturn.
>>
why not start a series with darkseid's furies and their adventure to other alien planets killing their heroes and shit and starting chaos for darkseid to conquer it?
>>
>>77742640
If nobody remembers the character then it can be re-introduced as a classic and "established" character that then acts as nothing but a canvas they can project their agendas on.
>>
File: Ladycop.jpg (54KB, 526x526px) Image search: [Google]
Ladycop.jpg
54KB, 526x526px
>>77742640
>If that's the case, where the fuck is the love for Lady Cop?

I know, right? You'd think her popularity would have exploded after she was on Arrow!
>>
>>77744830
>lorena will never come back
>>
>>77748741
It'll end when the Batgirl cosplayer who started this whole mess an heros, with a note on her saying "DC did nothing wrong".
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.