[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writers you wish got more love?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (764KB, 1621x1353px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
764KB, 1621x1353px
As much as he's lauded amongst some nerds, I still feel like Peter David doesn't get the respect he deserves. Like...has ever written a truly AWFUL book?
>>
kurt busiek
>>
>>77701394
Peter david is based like hell, its really a wonder why he is not more respected
>>
>>77701525
Sadly most his book sell liked shit.
>>
I rarely see J.M. DeMatteis being recognized as a top writer.
>>
>>77701394
What are his best books? I've only read young justice and I really liked it.
>>
>>77701600
Hulk, spiderman 2099, aquaman, Supergirl.
>>
>>77701600
Spider-Man 2099 is fantastic, best spider
>>
>>77701634
>>77701621
Which volume of 2099? Both?
>>
File: image.jpg (383KB, 1076x1650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
383KB, 1076x1650px
>>77701634
Agreed
>>
>>77701566
Even more rarely outside of his paring with Giffen

His Captain America, Spider-Man, Spectre and Defenders were all great

Haven't read Moonshadow, but I hear good things
>>
>>77701663
The first one.
>>
>>77701394
Greg Pak and Jeph Parker
>>
>>77701663
I like the current run but it definitely isn't as good as the original
>>
>>77701566
This

Especially when he's writing solo and not paired with Giffen
>>
File: image.jpg (244KB, 806x1061px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
244KB, 806x1061px
This gentlemen right here.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 300x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 300x361px
He may had treat people liked shit but he brought many innovations to superman franchise.
>>
>>77701394
>Like...has ever written a truly AWFUL book?
His whole Hulk run once the Pantheon shows up
>>
>>77701394
>ever written a truly AWFUL book?

Last volume of X-Factor. Current volume of Spider-Man 2099. And ESPECIALLY Secret Wars 2099.
>>
>>77701999
Awful not mediocre
>>
>>77701999
It's a shame X-Factor wasn't better. I really wanted David writing Quicksilver to go on longer
>>
>>77701394
I heard his run on Green Lantern was not a good fit.
>>
>>77701546
That wasn't always the case though.
>>
>>77701394
Secret Wars 2099
>>
>>77701600

Hulk, X-Factor, Spider-Man 2099, Supergirl

>>77701908
Mugga, what? Pantheon saga and the entire Professor Hulk era is great.
>>
>>77701883
That's Mort Weisinger, right?
>>
File: rick remender.jpg (48KB, 561x640px)
rick remender.jpg
48KB, 561x640px
seems everybody hates him nowadays
>>
>>77701685
There's also Greenburg the Vampire, which iirc got him his Marvel gig.
>>
>>77702986
Yup
>>
File: Yost.jpg (17KB, 587x112px) Image search: [Google]
Yost.jpg
17KB, 587x112px
>>77701546
Probably because he rarely makes use of A-lister characters, which I respect and is, honestly, a large part of the reason why I like his titles. I don't dislike A-listers, but I do love stories of the "little guys."

Part of the reason why I loved X-Factor and the Winter Soldier run from before the movie came out.

Also, I love Christopher Yost. Shame he seems to have kinda lost faith in the Big Two at the moment after New Warriors crashed. I want to see the adventures of Kaine and Aracely continue.

And yes, I know about Spider-Verse and the death-and-then-return of Kaine.
>>
>>77703379
Sad the yost animated universe got cancelled.
>>
File: HulkANN1997_20a.jpg (157KB, 371x831px) Image search: [Google]
HulkANN1997_20a.jpg
157KB, 371x831px
>>77702933
The Pantheon is awful desu

If they were ANY good, do you know what would happen? Do you know what subsequent writers would do? This is cape comics, they would fucking steal them. Nobody did that. Nobody found a use for PAD's legion of snarky demigods. Everyone says how great they are but who remembers shit they did? The only arcs they were in that were good were the X-Factor crossover because PAD was killing it on that book and the one where Banner goes back to Vegas and dresses in a snazzy suit. Aside from this, they're just a way for him to tell stories too sleazy for his Trek novels that just happen to have a big green gorilla spewing quips as the protagonist

The Grey Hulk parts are good. The rest is not. Do you, or anybody else who says 'PAD Hulk is the best, it's great, start from there', read the post-Pantheon issues? Heroes Reborn was not exactly ideal as anyone can admit, but they were fucking awful. Hulk hiding out in the south with Betty. More Gamma weirdos. Hulk pretending to go insane to have the world unite against him after they've lost their heroes and wrestling SSJ4 Thor in the artic. The XTREME 90's descendant of Rick Jones mulling about in the future. The nonsense dropped plotline with Hulk and the policewoman being lovers with the future alternate dimension Hulk kissing her. God, PAD tried to set up a definitive Hulk ending with Banner losing it after Betty dies and just wandering forever with an old Rick Jones reminiscing, because apparently PAD and many others have this notion that he is the grand poobah of Hulk stories, something that can be seen when he gets on the book again before House of M and makes basically everything after his last run not canon because they went in another wildly different direction the same way that he did
>>
>>77703379
Yost reccs for someone who's read and enjoyed Scarlet Spider/Red Robin?
>>
>>77703798

Nobody uses the Pantheon largely because PAD largely dismantled everything that made them cool in the big climax to the Pantheon Saga. You had plenty of good stories in that era beyond the X-Factor crossover and PAD giving the finger to Erik Larsen's Doc Ock. You had the Infinity Gauntlet tie-in, Rick's fake-mom being a serial killer subplot, Rick and Marlo's wedding issue and the epilogue with the suicidal Skrull, hunt for Agamemnon that leads them to Asgard.... I don't think I ever read the run past Heroes reborn, so perhaps you're right and that part of is shit, but that still leaves years of good stories that does not invalidate the entire run, at best it needs a footnote that says it takes a dip in quality at a certain point.

And Bruce Jones' Hulk run was fucking trash and deserved to be written out. It was just awful.
>>
>>77701394
>Peter David
Who?
>>
>>77704048
Only the Rick arcs of what you listed are good.
He acted like a baby with the Bruce Jones run, (which admittedly got weak during the end when all of the mysteries were revealed and they were all fucking stupid but the trip there was a return to basics and also a fresh direction) and even the Jenkins run where it says that the Professor is just another persona instead of the super Banner, like someone else was playing with his toys. Kind of weird when you consider that his Doc Samson is basically the Hebrew Hammer cool doctor compared to the flawed character everyone before, after and during portrayed him as.

There's so much awful crap in PAD's Hulk. It's not a decade of stinkers, there's a lot of good in his portrayals of Rick Jones and Abomination and fleshing out the mindscape that Mantlo started, but there are too many weak parts
>>
Peter David is based. Was introduced to him through his work on Halo. The research he does for new universes is superb.
>>
How are his Captain Marvel runs? Googled them and they look weird af. Better than Carol Danvers' stuff?
>>
>>77705043

Oh, so much better. Especially the second one where Genis goes batshit insane and does some glorious type of trolling around the universe. The last issue of that run is great because it's one of those Keith Giffen type "well we got cancelled, I won't even bother writing a real plot, instead we're getting entirely meta on this bitch"
>>
>>77703024

As someone who was once a total Hickfag, he just isn't a very good writer.

He's a fantastic plotter, and a brilliant ideas man, but his actual execution of said ideas leaves a lot to be desired.
>>
File: XFactor-Zone-011.jpg (504KB, 1280x1968px) Image search: [Google]
XFactor-Zone-011.jpg
504KB, 1280x1968px
>>77701999
I really liked a large portion of his X-factor run but just dropped it near the end when it got too stupid. I think they were fighting demons for Rahne's child or something. Didn't help that the art was ass. Just look at these cardboard cutouts.
>>
>>77705374
>>
>>77701394
Almost everything he's written is good, but almost none of it is exceptionally great.

I'd say he's still the most consistent writer in the industry.
>>
>>77701394
Peter David is a really reliable writer with consistently good ideas and execution. His female characters are a bit too bitchy for my taste, but that's all.
>>
Mike Baron
Chuck Dixon
Steven Grant
>>
>>77702842
It wasn't a good fit at all but it was so short and was entirely ignored afterwards so it's hard to really hold it against him
>>
>>77705043
Oh they're fucking GREAT. Best Captain Marvel run, laugh-out-loud funny, yet not without it's epic & feelsy moments.
>>
>>77708713
I found Linda pretty decent
>>
>>77701394
I met his wife a few years before his stroke at an old school scifi con in New York.

She was pretty damn cool too. Talked a bit about his work at the discount costuming workshop. Wound up making a terrible super hero costume out of scraps and entered it in the masquerade in the cheap ass workshop division and won a nice award.
>>
>>77701724
Man, I want to read Agents of Atlas so bad yet they're all out of print
>>
>>77702319
Even worse it sucks that after all the work he put into Quicksilver and Polaris' sibling relationship after it had gone mostly ignored through the years, Marvel retcons away Wanda and Pietro's relation to Magneto and while the book is still going
>>
>>77703379

hes also busy writing the Thor 3 script.
>>
>>77701724
They get too much love.
>>
>>77703844

X-23
New X-Men (starting with issue 20?)
X-Force
Killer of Demons (Image book)
>>
>>77712136
This
>>
>>77712136
>Killer of Demons (Image book)
Never knew about that one. Thanks, I'll read it right now.
>>
>>77703024
Well, have you read Tokyo Ghost?
I can't blame anyone really after reading that garbage
>>
>>77701566
That's because he's shit.
>>
>>77708757
>Chuck Dixon
This guy is good. His John Severin-ilustrated stories in the 80s Savage Tales magazine are GOAT. Want to pick up his 80s Airboy run.
>>
>>77717116
How so
>>
>>77715744
No problem
>>
File: mike-judge-07.jpg (153KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
mike-judge-07.jpg
153KB, 540x720px
this guy, and not just for his /co/ stuff.

its kinda baffling when you think about how long he's been going.
>>
>>77701600
Captain Marvel vol 4 and 5.
>>
>>77705374
I love the twist near the end that Genis was never really insane, he was pretending to be insane because he was afraid of the responsibility that cosmic awareness gave him and didn't want to be a liability to his father's title.
>>
>>77712098
Poor guy.

Although, granted, that pays better than a comic book.
>>
>>77705914
what the fuck
>>
>>77705914
It was even worse during that period where everyone was almost literally just smudges. I can't remember the artist at the time, but I think it was during the Detroit arc, when Dawin joined the team.

The art was so bad, that if I hadn't been marathoning the series, I probably would've given up on it.
>>
>>77719295
Larry Stroman. God that was shit.
>>
>>77701394
>has ever written a truly AWFUL book?
I know he needs good artists, or the book sucks tons of balls; e.g. his Aquaman had the worst art ever.
>>
>>77708757
>Chuck Dixon
>Steven Grant
Mah nigga.
>>
>>77719295
>>77719569
Thanks dickhead, I had managed to completely forget about that incredibly fucking awful art, and now I had to look it up. That hurts my eyes.
>>
>>77705914
>at first manages to make you believe his characters are well developed... until you find out that all of them are PAD himself, that he does with them whatever he wants, and that all of them are totally retarded
>when he doesn’t know what to tell, fills the comics with his opinions about politics, movies, TV, and books. Thus you read a comic and a blog at the same time. And if there’s still space left in the book, he tells a good joke, no matter if off-topic
>seems to be building up an AWESOME story but then, after 50 issues you find that his plots are going nowhere at all
>has been doing nothing for 20 years while laughing at readers
Tell me again what's so special about Peter David, /co/.
>>
>>77719739
It was '90s as fuck but I don't remember it being that bad
>>
>>77722398
>>
File: its shit.png (1012KB, 536x798px) Image search: [Google]
its shit.png
1012KB, 536x798px
>>77701394

The Dreamwave TMNT comic was some pretty terrible shit.

David said he only wrote it because his kids liked the cartoon. His utter lack of enthusiasm for the material is pretty evident in the book. It's really bad.
>>
Bunp
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.