[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one was worse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11

File: Star Warts.jpg (3MB, 3992x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Star Warts.jpg
3MB, 3992x3056px
Which one was worse?
>>
>>77597469
I don't really see the problem with either.
>>
That's a really shit frame for engaging with media.
>>
Caring about canon in Star Wars is a very silly thing to do.
>>
>>77597469
DUDE STOP
>>
Neither were at all bad especially considering how shit the old EU could get.
>>
>>77597469
Chewie has a blaster on his back.
>>
>>77597469
The first one. "I have killed many fathers, you have to be specific" is the worst line possible.
>>
File: Strict Discipline.png (191KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Strict Discipline.png
191KB, 300x300px
>>77597469
>very many
>>
>>77597469
Left
>>
>>77597614
The blasters were made inert by an EMP blast so it won't shoot.
>>
>Vader giving a shit about getting a burn in
>Vader using a contraction
>"very many"

Fuck right off
>>
>>77597469
Left is really shit writing, right is mindless fanbody wank.

Left is worse but not by much.
>>
>>77597469
Vader speech wasn't really "him", if that makes sense. Phrases he wouldn't use. A small scuffle that's cut short between Luke and Vader, before Vader really knows who Luke is, isn't really canon breaking and it really makes sense that they'd have one or two run-ins in the span between ANH and ESB being high level grunts on opposite sides of a war. Does it detract from the ESB confrontation? A little.

Handing everyone lightsabers to go to town on unarmed TIE pilots is kind of cheesy. But they try to make it semi-reasonable with everyone but Chewie remarking the difficulty to handle the lightsabers, and the TIE pilots even starting to approach the situation better and close in on Luke and Han.

So, left is worse.
>>
>>77598259
Maybe he didn't, maybe he was actually serious and had Luke said "Anikin Skywalker" he'da been like "oh shit dawg! You're not gonna believe this but I am your daddy, wanna go kill other people's daddy's?"
>>
>>77597469
Both were great.
>>
>>77598457

What did you like about them?
>>
>>77598442
>Anikin
Looks like we have a visitor from Earth 2 among our midst.
>>
>>77597469
what's so bad about the right one? It's star wars so obviously the main characters use lightsabres. it's the lightsabre-franchise.
>>
>>77598399
>Handing everyone lightsabers to go to town on unarmed TIE pilots
Now you make me think our heroes go full ISIS on captive Imperials.
>>
>>77598766
they aren't jedi and its super hard to use a lightsaber without the force for reasons
(though leia is force sensitive so she handles it better)
>>
>>77598399

it doesnt make sense. you seem to be relying only on an all too subjective intuition of what the character sounds like, and so, like all the other 45 year olds who seem to have some vague idea that the scene is bad but also cant seem to properly elaborate on it, im forced to discount what your saying
>>
>>77599407

thats the most bullshit, nothing arguement ive ever heard.
>>
>>77599504
You're the one who asked.
I'm just saying it
>>
>>77599481
Dude, just watch the original trilogy and you'll see that's not something that vader would say
Its just recognizing characterization
>>
>>77599566
Don't argue with anon. Anon with defend the OFFICIAL CANON to the death, regardless of quality.

Let anon be.
>>
>>77599566

well its not like you hear a whole lot of him talking to random jedi or would be jedi in the first movie. luke is just some asshole to him in this comic. remember that he hates jedi with a passion; taunting them is probably second nature to him, so why wouldn't this scene make sense. sometimes you have to stretch how you speak in order to get a sick burn in.
>>
they are only canon if you want to tho
>>
>>77597469
New Jedi Order was worse. Chewie got a moon dropped on him.
>EU fags will defend this
It also introduced the Vong
>>
>>77599677
Except he never goes and talks like that again, even when fighting cybernetically enhanced force-sensitives in his own comic. It's nothing more than bad writing.
>>
>>77601813

except that its not bad writing and you cant use anything other than emotional reasoning to prove it is. how bout you get back to me when you have a legitimate criticism that's not "baaaaw hes not talking the way i want him to". lets not overlook the fact that the burden of proof is on you here. also those aren't jedi, they're servants of the emperor, so its totally different dynamic.
>>
>>77601813

what the hell is "like that" supposed to mean? he's not usin ebonics here ya contrarian wierdo.
>>
>>77597469
The second one is kind of nonsensical because how the fuck could they possibly use lightsabers as weapons without the Force. But the first one actively fucks with the Empire duel. The whole reason Bespin worked was because Luke went in thinking he had learned enough to face Vader, when now he really should recognize how outmatched he is from the get go.
>>
>>77598259
>Apology accepted, Captain
>>
>>77597469
Neither, you just being a stupid fanboy.
>>
>>77602195
>The second one is kind of nonsensical because how the fuck could they possibly use lightsabers as weapons without the Force.

The same way you use a sword?

You have a higher likelihood of hurting yourself with it, but for anyone who isn't a jedi it's just like swinging a bat.
>>
>>77602364
It's different because a lightsaber blade doesn't have weight and won't meet with resistance when striking
>>
>>77602398
That's why I said this

>You have a higher likelihood of hurting yourself with it,

There's no reason someone without the force couldn't use one, they just couldn't use it as effectively, but that's true for literally everything a jedi can get their hands on.
>>
>>77602471
It's not
>just like using a bat
And using it the same way you would a sword would get you killed
>>
>>77602514
Okay, you are being incredibly nitpicky right now. I've mentioned twice how it's easy to hurt yourself with one, are you going to explain why you need the force to use one at all or are you going to back off?
>>
>>77602514
Someone without the force would just swing it wide, like a bat, to avoid keeping the blade close to their body. Kinda just like how you see han using it in that comic.
>>
>>77602786
Not that anon but you're being super salty right now. The whole point is that the comic's kind of fucking weird when it goes against how the entire universe has regarded lightsabers up until this point. See also: Vader Down, the new Star Wars crossover comic in which Vader uses the force to pwn hundreds of rebels, on the ground or in the sky, which introduces the question of why the fuck he didn't just throw the X-Wings into the sides of the trench on the Death Star and be done with it.
>>
>>77602195
>how the fuck could they possibly use lightsabers as weapons without the Force.

You... don't need the Force to use a lightsaber at all. I mean, it helps you to not chop yourself up, but it isn't a prerequisite.

There's an entire subset of droids that exclusively use lightsabers, after all.
>>
>>77602854
>The whole point is that the comic's kind of fucking weird when it goes against how the entire universe has regarded lightsabers up until this point.

No, the anon literally claimed that people couldn't use lightsabers at all without the force.
>>
File: 1890387164_5c8bd73a-2.jpg (94KB, 469x356px) Image search: [Google]
1890387164_5c8bd73a-2.jpg
94KB, 469x356px
>>77597469
>>
>>77602855
>use a lightsaber at all
"Use" is the operative word here, anon. I said "use as a weapon," and that's a very important distinction given what Han did on Hoth. You can use the saber as a basic tool if you're a humanoid, but weaponizing it is going to be beyond you without the Force (at least after the five second mark).

As for the droids, that's explicitly what they're programmed to do in those cases. Built with greater spacial awareness and superior reflexes. Recall that regular humans don't even have the reflexes needed for podracing.
>>
>>77597469
Splinter of the minds eye.

Darth Vader tripping over his own severed arm and falling down a hole during his first confrontation with Luke used to be canon. Just let that sink in for a moment.
>>
>>77602958
No, he didn't. And I know because the anon he originally replied to was me. See >>77603199 because I don't want to have to keep writing this shit out.
>>
File: 1296376178830.jpg (12KB, 241x230px) Image search: [Google]
1296376178830.jpg
12KB, 241x230px
>>77603206
>the big NOOOOOOOOO was a thing even before Ep 3.
>>
>>77598259

>Vader giving a shit about getting a burn in

vader loves it when jedi lose their cool you idiot.

>Vader using a contraction

vader literally said "he's all yours" to boba fett in the movie you total fucking idiot

>"very many"

im guessing your not a very good actor, are you? whatever, i dont need to go into this one seeing as ive already destroyed the fuck out of your dumbass post
>>
>>77603257
>No, he didn't.
>>how the fuck could they possibly use lightsabers as weapons without the Force.
>>
>>77603199
It's a highly effective cutting tool. Anyone can weaponize that if they can point it or wave it across something.
>>
Just wait until everyone realizes that the Sequel Trilogy is just the EU compressed into 6 Films.
>>
>>77603544
>as weapons
>as WEAPONS

Please for the love of God acquire some reading skills

>>77603585
You can kill someone with an arc welder too, but saying that's "weaponizing" it is laughable because of how impractical the idea is.
>>
>>77603717
>>as WEAPONS

You can use a rock as a weapon, anon. You seem to have some twisted definition of what a weapon actually is.

If you don't think someone couldn't use something like a lightsaber is a weapon you are absolutely crazy.
>>
>>77603652
I don't remember anything from the trailers in the EU
>>
>>77603717
So, are you saying that it's impossible for someone who isn't force sensitive to kill someone else intentionally using a lightsaber?
>>
>>77603752
>You can use a rock as a weapon, anon

A pretty shitty weapon compared to almost anything else. And friendly reminder that a rock won't randomly explode in your hand if you use it wrong.
>>
>>77603774
Did you even read the post?
>>
>>77603774
Different anon, but you're far more likely to kill or seriously injure yourself before you get close enough to kill that other asshole who hopefully isn't also trying to kill you
>>
>>77603790
>And friendly reminder that a rock won't randomly explode in your hand if you use it wrong.

Since when do all lightsabers randomly explode and under what specific conditions?
>>
>>77603806
I did, now answer the question. If you want to keep saying they can't be used as weapons, then are you saying that someone who isn't force sensitive can't intentionally use a lightsaber to kill someone?
>>
>>77603762
>Friendly reminder that Kylo is Han's son making him fucking Jacen Solo with Darth Revan's mask
>>
>>77603818
They cut off you're limbs because you don't have the reflexes or spacial awareness to take advantage of everything that makes the lightsaber worthwhile. I was giving an illustration of how much of a liability that is and how bad of a weapon it would make. Kind of the same reason that makes using ghetto guns so retarded.

>>77603835
Please stop putting words into my mouth.
>You can kill someone with an arc welder too, but saying that's "weaponizing" it is laughable because of how impractical the idea is.

And learn how to read.
>>
File: 547.jpg (123KB, 558x743px) Image search: [Google]
547.jpg
123KB, 558x743px
>>77603378
>dont need to go into this one seeing as ive already destroyed the fuck out of your dumbass post
>>
>>77603119
>"And I shall destroy your Death Star with my photon torpedoes; unless you give me-"
>Pause for dramatic effect
>"One Billions Credits!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdvUR67nZs0
>>
File: max.png (65KB, 321x321px) Image search: [Google]
max.png
65KB, 321x321px
>>77604018
>>
>>77603980
>Please stop putting words into my mouth.

>>>how the fuck could they possibly use lightsabers as weapons without the Force.

?
>>
>>77599504
>thats the most bullshit, nothing arguement ive ever heard.

It isn't if you think about it. A lightsaber has no blunt edge, has no weight, has no wind resistance, handling one is the same as when you held any tube-like object as a kid and pretended it was a lightsaber.

Except that a lightsaber completely burns away anything it touches with zero resistance or feedback (unless you are trying to cut a hole in a atomic blast door like Qui-gon did, and even then the resistance is probably just the time needed for it to melt the metal).

So if you tried using a lightsaber as a sword weapon, like how Jedi do, you'd end up cutting chunks out of yourself in two swings. Or you would have tried resting it on your shoulder like a normal sword, and you'd cut off your own arm. They are INCREDIBLY dangerous to the user, and there are no ways to actually train in the ways of using them, since any less dangerous replacement object would not have the same physical characteristics (weight, etc).

Jedi can do advanced swordfight with them because they use the force to move at the correct way by instinct. It prevents them from accidentally decapitating themselves in a fight.
>>
>>77603980
>I was giving an illustration of how much of a liability that is and how bad of a weapon it would make.

By alluding that they randomly explode? It just makes you look like you are reaching really really hard.
>>
>>77604285
You're either an idiot or a troll and I'm not sure which.
>>
File: 1420523743846.jpg (69KB, 331x424px) Image search: [Google]
1420523743846.jpg
69KB, 331x424px
>>77604343
>>
File: Will You Be My Neighbour.jpg (497KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Will You Be My Neighbour.jpg
497KB, 1280x1280px
>>77604285
>>77604361
Hey guys, I think the misunderstanding here comes from the fact that you two seem to have different definitions of the word "weapon".

Now clearly, one of you considers a Lightsaber a weapon in anyone's hands, as it was designed to be used as a weapon, and can be used to kill people with little to no training.

However, the other one seems to consider a weapon, something that is actively used for the purpose of war/violence, in the fashion it was designed. You know, going back to those old Japanese ideals that "The Swords is not a weapon. The Samurai is.".

It seems to me you both actually agree on the main debate point, but you just argue around a misunderstanding.
Then again, that's just what I'm taking away from all of this. Happy discussion neighbours!
>>
>>77597469
Here's a better question: What are best and worst moments of the new canon?
>>
test
>>
What's wrong with normal people wielding lightsabers? They're just light swords. As long as you're careful you won't cut your own arm when you try twirling it around.Mandalorians would sometimes use Lightsabers.
>>
>>77597469
Kylo Ren
>>
>>77604620
I guess you're probably talking about the blacksaber or whatever it's called from Clone Wars. It's well known in the fandom that the thing was originally supposed to be a vibroblade (which actually have mass and heft like a normal sword) but Lucas hated the idea and forced his underlings to change it to an old-timey lightsaber. So using that as evidence is pretty iffy at best.

Basically, the blade is weightless plasma and there may or may not be an internal component that causes gyroscopic forces, depending on what reference you're using. So think of it like trying to fight with a particularly lethal flashlight without accidentally injuring yourself, at best, and one that's actively trying to tear itself out of your grasp and redirect itself constantly at worst.
>>
>>77604720
I was thinking of video games and comics, actually. Some Mandalorians took the Lightsabers of Force Users they killed.
>>
>>77597469
>Which one was worse?

The one where this shitty meme won't die.
>>
>>77604799
>I was thinking of video games and comics
You mean all those non-canon ones? Even then, the only Mando I know of to actually use a lightsaber well was Boba Fett, and that's because he's motherfucking Boba Fett.
>>
>>77602958
Which is kind of technically true. The most potent powers of a light saber- blaster blocking and as a conduit for some force skills- are completely meaningless in mortal hands.
>>
>>77604620
>What's wrong with normal people wielding lightsabers?

see

>>77604340

It's like swordfighting with a flash light, where your body will get instantly disintegrated on any part where the light shines on it.
>>
>>77605132
Any idiot can swing a stick, anon. The problem is that a lightsaber does so much more, a pleb can't tap half of a saber's potential.
>>
>>77605223
>Any idiot can swing a stick, anon.

This isn't a stick, this is a plasma blade that evaporates anything it touches.

You make a SINGLE WRONG MOVE and you cut yourself apart.

So yeah you can swing it as a stick, but you can't actually *fight* with it properly.
>>
>>77604990
Even then, Vader kicked his ass
>>
>>77603206
He didn't fly so good
>>
All this time fighting over a slight distinction...I don't think anyone is saying that Han, Chewie, or Leia would instantly turn into Jedi Masters by picking up a lightsaber. They're just saying that, in a life or death situation with nothing else at hand, they can at least make an attempt to use weapons they aren't trained in. Obviously, as with any other weapon or tool, someone who is adept with it will be more likely to be able to use it properly without harming themselves, but this isn't like an RPG where if your character doesn't have the required proficiency, they can't use the weapon at all
>>
>>77598226
It was only slightly odd that the EMP only fried blasters and didn't harm either the sabers (can those be hurt by EMP?) or droids (which most certainly can be).
>>
>>77597469
Don't worry, they all kept their sabers from this issue and will join Luke to fight against Vader in a massive duel at the climax of Vader Down.
>>
>>77597469
Boba Fett surviving a lightsaber battle with Vader was worse
>>
>>77597469
Wait, Are those imperial pilots? Why would they do any ground infantry shit?
>>
>>77597469
I miss when we just had hack sci fi writers and Aaron Allston and John Ostrander

Now we've got hack sci fi writers AND hack cape comic writers, but no Aaron Allston and no John Ostrander
>>
>>77597469
The answer is, and will always be, the Yuuzhan Vong followed distantly by Jar Jar then the Christmas Special.
>>
>>77603206
Comic book tie-ins tend to be shit because no one really oversees them to ensure consistent quality. Aside from Son of Dathomir, try avoiding Star Wars comics like the plague.
>>
>>77603206
>You were too tricky for your own good, Vader!
>>
>>77597469
The first one is only awkward if you were unaware it was already canon decades ago that they met before ESB

And the second is silly and only questionable in the sense "Where do those lightsabers go afterwards"
>>
>>77603206
I don't see how he tripped on it, he just got through using his foot to anchor his limb so he could wrest the lightsaber free.

I think what's actually happening is the weight he put on the hand while it's on the edge makes it give way and the artist fumbled it.
>>
>>77612950
Aw, he's just being plain old silly!
>>
>>77604620
Aside from the other replies about hurting yourself, there's no way to make it an effective weapon vs. blasters and other weapons without the force. It would be like having an extremely expensive car that gets outraced by a minivan.
>>
>>77597599
>there was bad stuff in the EU
>therefore Marvel can fuck it up too
Don't you have some coffee to fetch for Axel, intern?
>>
>>77597469
They are both Star Wars in 2015 so they tie for most terrible. In a year and some change, we'll be coming to the 20 year anniversary of Star Wars being lame. Get over it.
>>
>>77604340
>(unless you are trying to cut a hole in a atomic blast door like Qui-gon did, and even then the resistance is probably just the time needed for it to melt the metal).
When he stuck the blade in, there was pretty much no resistance at all.

When they closed the extra blast door, he just pushed it further in, and it went through it like a hot knife through butter.

Yes, there do seem to be some materials that can resist it, but 99% of the time this isn't going to happen.
>>
>>77606649
If they're technology, why wouldn't they be? Unless it's because you have to turn on the lightsaber, maybe, and blasters are always on or something.
>>
>>77603843
>implying hes not Lukes son and twin brother to everyones new star wars waifu
>>
Star Warts is pretty much synonymous with shit atm because no one attached to creating anything with the IP can get their head out of the original trilogy's ass. What's that, you want some story that's not attached to Luke or Darth Vader? You want some unrelated rebels on an unrelated planet fighting for their own unrelated freedom?

Fuck that, we're bringing in Darth Vader, Palpatine, or Grievous so you already know they never defeat the villain. We're allying your rebel group with Lando or Han Solo or some shit to completely detract from your group's storyline. Let's get an Artoo-Deetoo cameo in for an episode as well, because no one cares about comic relief coming from anyone else.

If Star Wars was a painting, it would've been vandalized into garbage by how much the original cast has had their face rubbed into every goddamn corner of the portrait by now, and the trailers for the sequel do not bolster confidence. Star Wars is larger than a couple of handfuls of actors who starred in the movies.
>>
>>77613345
But Marvel didn't fuck it up.
>>
>>77610944
This wasn't so much a comic tie-in as it was an adaption. Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first piece of the original EU ever.
>>
>>77597809
This is New Hope-era Vader. Dude makes a lot of Saturday morning villain pronouncements. Kieron Gillen is doing an excellent job showing Vader getting smarter, tougher and more taciturn in the wake of the Death Star's destruction over in the Vader book. Jason Aaron's Star Wars isn't really to my taste, but there's enough other good stuff getting published over there that you can basically ignore it and still get a solid Star Wars comics fix.
>>
>>77598259
He uses contractions sometimes in the OT and the PT. Besides, neither of these instances even comes close to stuff like Vader being the one who made 3PO or Boba Fett's Dad being the template for the whole Republic Clone Army.
>>
>>77597469
From where I see it, only bad thing there is that the left strip trivializes the importance of Vader's revelation in the movies. As for the rest of the comic, well, iirc art on the left traced from the movies.

Though we could argue building up the Luke-Vader rivalry a little more is a good thing.
>>
>>77614696
It helps that Luke essentially gets bitch-slapped and the fight gets broken up in only a few seconds. Luke just happened across Vader and decided to avenge his father and Obi Wan, but then realizes that he's not even close to challenging Vader yet. Personally I thought because of that, that it didn't retcon or supplant his later encounter.
>>
>>77614696
It really doesn't trivialize anything. Them meeting and having a brief fight before Empire doesn't make that fight any less climactic. It's still their first time seriously fighting where Luke has done any real Jedi training in the Force. It's still their first battle where Vader knows Luke is his son, and the battle where he reveals that in an attempt to bring him to the Dark Side.
>>
This whole thread is like I've entered Bizarro universe.

I'm scared.
>>
File: 1419906902890.png (206KB, 324x336px) Image search: [Google]
1419906902890.png
206KB, 324x336px
>>77597469

>Implying Vader wouldn't recognize his own son
>>
>>77613776
You mean like how Marvel revealed that Vader was Luke's father before Empire came out?
>>
>>77615340
He didn't recognize his own daughter either. C'mon senpai.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.