[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they turn Grevious into such a jobber, who loses constantly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: 12.webm (3MB, 848x360px) Image search: [Google]
12.webm
3MB, 848x360px
Why did they turn Grevious into such a jobber, who loses constantly?
>>
>>77570604
I don't know, but I guess they just don't like awesome stuff.
>>
>>77570604
He has some cool moments. It's always made little sense that a souped-up lizard can kill multiple Jedi masters.
>>
I don't understand how anyone can like Genndy's awful style. This looks like fucking shit.
>>
>>77570677
so does your mom
>>
>>77570677
> This looks like fucking shit.

It looks fantastic. The designs are clean and distinct, the animation is smooth, and there's a great sense of motion.

Genddy spun straw into gold.
>>
>>77570604
They didn't turn him into a jobber. He was always a jobber. He jobbed to Obi-Wan in his first appearance and he jobbed constantly in Clone Wars except for that one episode where he beat a bunch of jobbers. Not sure about that other cartoon, since there's a gif that showed him being badass there. But otherwise, he was never not a jobber.
>>
>>77570780
Grevious was supposed to be an intimidating character that used sheer weapon mastery to compensate his lack of Force.
They probably realized that if they do what the cartoon did with Grevious they'd have to seriously up the fighting skills of everyone else to beat Grevious which would mean more effort into fight scenes. So they took the easy way out and made him job rather than bring everyone on or above Grevious' level
>>
>>77570852
Honestly, Grievous was never an intimidating character outside of Genndy's Clone Wars. Even in Episode 3 he ran like a coward and lost his one outright fight with Obi-Wan.
>>
>>77570677
Those aren't even his designs, those are by Rudish
>>
>>77570604
After his shit got crushed in Clone Wars, fucking up his ability to breathe normally, causing his speed to be hindered due to low blood oxygenation.
>>
>>77570677
Looks fine in 2d animation, but fucking HIDEOUS in CGI.
>>
>>77571120
Except in TCW we see him depicted the exact same way as in Epidode 3: a weak coward with those exact same breathing problems.

It's clear that Grievous' character was changed at some point and the version that Genndy used was different than the finalized version of the character we see in Episode 3 and all subsequent media.
>>
>>77570604
He was already a jobber that lost constantly
>>
>>77570941
Who cares about the dumb blockbusters?
>>
>>77571179
In Genndy's Clone Wars Mace Windu uses force crush on Grievous and that's implied to be why he was so fucked up in Episode 3 compared to his earlier appearances.
>>
>>77571286
And Genndy's Clone Wars is contradicted by later official stuff, notably TWC in which we see Grievous with his breathing already fucked up and displaying general cowardice and incompetence long before his encounter with Windu.

Genndy's Clone Wars isn't canon.
>>
>>77571464
Shame
>>
>>77571464
But it should be. Genndy's Clone Wars was far better than we got in the prequel trilogy. It also bugs me that Thrawn will never be adapted.
>>
>>77571464
Obviously it's not canon now and even before the EU was thrown out it had been contradicted by TCW which had higher canon clearance.

But when Episode 3 first came out that was the justification for why he was so much weaker in comparison to his original appearances.
>>
Watch his Gendy first appearance. He uses fear and stealth constantly keep the Jedi off guard so he can pick them one on one. If he tried a straight fight like he seems to do in CW he'd get his Shit stomped by Ki Adi Mundi and Shak Ti alone. Even lair of Grievous has him constantly use misdirection and guile to whittle down that whole strike force to ONLY Kit Fisto. He might seem cowardly but hrs a lot more willing to use everything at his disposal to cheat and throw the odds in favor of at least his survival.
>>
>>77570852
You're placing way too much importance on a throwaway character that basically only exists to get Obi away from Anakin during episode 3.
>>
>>77571515
I remember that being a common explanation but it wasn't necessarily THE explanation, because I also remember The Art of ROTS saying that the cough was just supposed to be pottery with Vader's breathing. It's not like Grievous displays any sign of recent damage in ROTS.
>>
Because Lucas is a hack
>>
>>77570604
Because the show was about characters people cared about, so Grievous couldn't just kill them all mercilessly as a super-robot-ninja. He had to lose, and he had to have some sort of personality.
>>
>>77570626
Well, in the RotS novel, he's portrayed as being able to move so fast that a human can barely perceive his movements. I think that in the book, at the height of his duel with Obi-Wan, Greivous was getting off 20 different attacks every second. If he had retained that trait in his other appearances, it would explain quite a bit.

Four arms, each with a lightsaber. Unlimited endurance. Robotic body allows for a range of unnatural maneuvers. Combine that with sheer speed and training from one of the Order's greatest duelists, and it's not hard to see how he could've pulled it off. Jedi are fast and have short term precognition. That doesn't mean they're omniscient or invincible.
>>
>>77571830
After all, he is a military commander first and foremost. What others call cowardice could easily be called good tactics and pragmatism with the same degree of accuracy.
>>
>>77570604
It's the other way around. Why did the cartoon make him a badass when he was already a jobber in the film. The movie was well into way of production when they even decided to make the cartoon.
>>
>>77570677
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Thankfully the guy has a good eye for directing
>>
>>
>>77570626
>It's always made little sense that a souped-up lizard can kill multiple Jedi masters.
It made perfect sense.

They had been battling for possibly days without rest in that scene and to the point at which they had lost quite literally their entire army. They were exhausted and overtaxed on the Force, and he only engaged them when they were so. Akin to his teachings from Dooku.

I'm all for Jedi being amazing fighters that shouldn't be depicted as being taken out by ordinary people with blasters, but Grievous was not ordinary and even Jedi become tired and can be prone to dying to a 9 year old with a blaster they can barely hold given appropriate circumstances.
>>
>>77572810
Also, it doesn't matter whether you can see a few seconds into the future if your body can't react fast enough anyway.
>>
>>77572942
Nah, Genndy had limited info on what Grievous was like.

Lucas probably told him he was competent slayer of Jedi but left out that his competence was something "off-screen and never to actually be witnessed to preserve his joke-status when on-screen"
>>
My biggest issue is how he was taken out like such a bitch.

Even TCW gives him some great fights
>>
>>77573179
>>77573091
I only take the facts and not the execution of ROTS. I adhere to Genndy Clone Wars and the Grievous' origin story as what to follow since they're simply a better story.

Grievous' people being victims at the hands of a superior enemy that he manages to save through his cunning tactics and skill in battle when the Jedi abandon his world because they are not part of the Republic are all great. And the Huk (IIRC) pleading with the Republic and offering them things that Grievous' world cannot turns the battle back around with them being allowed into the Republic and Jedi come to help out their newly aligned world and ultimately damn his own. It all made for a legitimately good reason for Grievous to hate the Jedi and learn to battle them.
>>
>>77570677
The art is chunky and caricature-esque, but it's very streamlined and consistent. The amazing fight choreography makes up for it easily.
>>
>>77570677
>If it's not realistic or anime it's bad

C'mon, get some taste.
>>
>>77570604
If you mean Clone Wars the CGI series, they didn't.

They just remembered that the jedi could fucking push him with telekenisis instead of flailing uselessly at the blades spinning around in his middle. Seriously, what the fuck are they doing there? Take two steps back and forcepush the motherfucker. What's he going to do, glare?
>>
I sort of liked that Lucas pumped up the vampire thing on Grievous and had cyborg space Orlock and Dracula hanging out together. It doesn't make the movie any better, and nothing interesting comes of it, but its cute.
>>
File: I want to protect that smile.png (228KB, 597x568px) Image search: [Google]
I want to protect that smile.png
228KB, 597x568px
>>77573355
>I only take the facts
>Except when I don't like them, then I ignore them and stick to headcanon

Sasuga, reddit
>>
>>77572848
Look at his duel with that Zabrak Jedi. He KNOWS there's a squad of troopers there too waiting to light him up. He makes an opening and swarms them with commandos. Then with the Jedi isolated he brings in the melee focused Magnaguatds to encircle and contain him. THEN the smart fucker forces him into repeated saber locks so his Magnaguards can prod and subdue the Jedi risk free. A beautiful flawless capture if q highly dangerous target in a fortified position yo.
>>
Why do the Sepratists even use regular Battledroids? Who even programmed regular Battledroids? Is it totally impossible just to give them better programming?

I think that's what bothers me the most about TCW. I get you need fodder, but default battle droids can be fodder without also being idiots.
>>
>>77575954
Battle Droids are idiots. It's a bit of a plot point in TPM that they failed every step of the way. They made some upgrades like removing the reliance on the control ship but ultimately their MO was to be cheap to produce and overwhelm with sheer numbers.

And remember it was a fake war anyway. The real goal wasn't for the CIS to ever win, though they might have been tricked into thinking so. The goal was for mass-produced clones and mass-produced droids to devastate the galaxy and allow Palpatine to make his final move.
>>
>>77575954
Soviet ideology of "yeah they kind of suck but at least there's ten of them for every competent soldier the other guys have."

Except it's less terrible because they're just robots.
>>
>>77576245
It also doesn't make sense because they're robots. Like they could have been more effective with simpler programming.
>>
It's kind of cool that you could make a CIS army with a zero rush strat in the miniatures game. The idea is that each player moves two figures at a time alternating till your whole force has moved. The CIS had a special character you could take that let you move ONE at a time for your opponents two...
>>
File: dastardly.gif (991KB, 271x138px) Image search: [Google]
dastardly.gif
991KB, 271x138px
Moustache-twirling Grievous is best Grievous
>>
I've heard that the reason for it is because Genndy wasn't given many details about Greivous outside of some very vague production notes. He had to kind of guess what they were going for with the character.
>>
>>77570604
>why do the badguys always lose

Welcome to genre fiction.
>>
File: 1444874791542.jpg (32KB, 380x313px) Image search: [Google]
1444874791542.jpg
32KB, 380x313px
>>77571842
>using this argument when the Fetts are a thing
>>
>>77573085
...I have no idea what.
What?
>>
File: 1447545797312.png (3MB, 1048x1448px) Image search: [Google]
1447545797312.png
3MB, 1048x1448px
>>77570852
>Grevious was supposed to be an intimidating character
No he wasn't. Genndy's version was wrong from the start. Jorge planned him to be a jobber who relied on cheap tricks, gimmicks, and dirty fighting to kill scrub Jedi knights. Genndy never got the memo, and the idea was born that he's some kind of invincible villain sue because he has a menacing design.

>>77571247
Now you're just being stupid.
>>
>>77571503
>There aren't anymore unbeatable mary sues for me to jack off to.
Force choke yourself.
>>
Kaleesh are fucking insane
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.