/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start reading X-Men?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

File: Uncanny.jpg (655KB, 2048x1061px) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny.jpg
655KB, 2048x1061px
Just finished Avengers vs X-Men and want to get into the X-books now. Should I jump in post A vs X with Bendis or start further back?
>>
You read AvX and it made you want to get into X-Men? When were you diagnosed?
>>
>>77509405
Bendis X-Men is among the worst garbage I've ever read. Do yourself a favor and don't ever touch it.
>>
>>77509405
AvX huh?

Skip all books and read Extraordinary X-Men. Only thing you need to know is that the O5 are back, Rogue left to join the Avengers and Kitty left to join the Guardians of the Galaxy.
>>
File: AX.jpg (299KB, 1116x863px) Image search: [Google]
AX.jpg
299KB, 1116x863px
What's wrong with Avengers Vs X-Men? I thought it was fun with all the fight scenes and the Phoenix Force was interesting.
>>
Start with Claremont and go from there.
>>
Legacy was good.
>>
What's wrong with Bendis X-Men? Was bringing back the original 5 and turning Cyclops into Magneto not such a good idea?
>>
>>77510344
Uncanny is bad because it undoes literally everything that was set up in AvX. It also has a story so long, only to erase itself at the end

All New can be resumed in two things:
-Iceman is gay
-Kitty loves alien dick
>>
>>77510344

Cyclops, Magbeto, and Magik fucking shit up and getting shit done would've been better. Bendis pretty much hit the breaks on AvX Aftermath.

Current stuff starts with Morrison.
>>
>>77511108

brakes.
>>
>>77509841

hijacks the x-men story built up from Messiah Complex in 2007 (4-5 years) makes the x-men into assholes and the avengers have the solution. If you count Post house of m it goes back to 2005-2006
>>
File: now let me explain.png (210KB, 397x800px) Image search: [Google]
now let me explain.png
210KB, 397x800px
Giant Size X-men or Grant Morrison's New X-men. Those are the only legitimate options. Everything else is either shit or too convoluted to be a starting point
>>
>>77511569
I would say Whedon's Astonishing is a good starting point. It's pretty by the numbers and uninspired compared to Claremont and Morrison, but it's a great introduction to the characters
>>
>>77511442
This omfg that fucker took the most ambitious arc in X-Men history, and ruined it.

>2005 House of M happens, leads into Decimation
>until 2007 we have the whole "Mutants are endangered again", then Hope appears and we get this epic four-way war for control of mutants' future
>Cable's series is 25 issues of directly setting up everything to come with Hope
>X-Force is 30+ issues of setting up everything to come in terms of Selene and the human villains
>Uncanny explores the new status quo, moving to Utopia, establishing a safe haven for the remaining mutants, cool as fuck, massive status quo change for the X-Men, who are now less of a team and more of a government
>2010 Second Coming happens, drawing a lot of the stories to a close and creating new threads with Hope and the Five Lights
>2011 fucking Schism fucks everything up, but whatever, still a lot of interesting books, Cyclops takes a radical new approach with the Extinction Team, everything is still more or less an organic extension of the continuing storyline, preparing for Hope's destiny
>2012 AvX - Oh wait, this thing that's been set up by literally hundreds of X-Men issues since 2006 is going to be sorted out by Avengers now, and the X-Men look like bad guys, and it's a mess and it doesn't make sense, but whatever, speed bump, let's see where Cyclops goes now that he's achieved his goal - at a terrible price

>2013
>BENDIS
>E
>N
>D
>I
>S

>Ayy lmao
>Shopping issue
>Emo Dazzler
>Gay Iceman
>Bore of the Atom
>Hank being a turbofaggot
>And Storm
>And Bobby
>Oh look the revolution never actually happened I was doing a thought experiment wait Emma where are you going actually fuck you I hate you

Fuck.
Bendis.
>>
>>77511734
>2011 fucking Schism fucks everything up
It should have been Storm, but Marvel knew Storm and the X-Men wouldn't sell as much as Wolverine and the X-Men

> out of nowhere the Scott/Jean/Logan romance triangle comes up just so they can hate each other more
What lazy fucking writing
>>
>>77511797
This, Storm was the natural counterpart to Scott, especially since she has led the X-Men before and is the generally his unofficial #2. Wolverine, canonically, never wanted to lead up until the last few years (there's even a story in X-Men Unlimited from 2003 or thereabouts about him never seeing himself as a leader), and suddenly he's the fucking headmaster.

It should have been Storm, it makes sense for it to be Storm, and it ended up being Storm anyway!
>>
>>77511842
Storm was honestly a better leader. Scott's thing was always tactical and coordination, but when it came to the emotional and social well being of his team he was lacking

Maybe because he grew up in an orphanage run by a super villain and spent most of his life as a superhero with no normal life at all. Also his love life is just fucked

Nightcrawler was also briefly leader and he was the opposite, he had zero talent for leadership, but he was great for morale. Storm was the perfect balance of the two

These days Storm is just around
>>
worst part is that he still activates an x-force. Going the root they went, it should've been wolverine trying to protect the kids and x-force cyclops. Let them actually switch places and maybe appreciate what each brings to the table.
>>
>>77511569
This is the only right answer.
>>77511685
this is acceptable, but honestly read NXM or 70's/80's X-Men first
>>
File: Pikachu Nova Corps.png (3MB, 974x1239px) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu Nova Corps.png
3MB, 974x1239px
I'd personally start somewhere around the Claremont era. Is there a hero or team that you relate with most? Might be easier to help with more info.
>>
>>77512000
route

wtf, why do keep mixing up words
>>
>>77511685
It's kinda shit introduction to Wolverine, Colossus and Kitty.
>>
Magneto was op when he returned with powers.

>giant bullet traveling through space, fuck that shit
>wake up from coma, fuck up some nimrods, proceed to tell the young mutants about their rightful place in the world
>>
The best modern X-Men stories are separate from the main X-book for the most part.

Peter David's X-Factor
Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy
Remender's X-Force

however those are all done and the X-books are literally in the worst place they've ever been, maybe even worse then 90's Onslaught shit.
>>
>>77510344
Him deciding to retcon Xavier and Mystique into having a past romance and her having his illegitimate kid was a dumb idea too. That spawned some really shitty stories. lus him never delivering on Cyclops' revolution was annoying too.

Bendis' X-Men run is arguably one of the worst X-Men runs of all time. Though if someone enjoyed AvX then they might enjoy it.
>>
>>77511685
I dunno, man, he made Xavier a slave holder who let Cyclops kick him out of his house because Whedon fucking hates father figures.

That and Brubaker's insane decision in Deadly Genesis led to the hole Professor X is in now, where its easier for writers to just kill Charlie.
>>
File: 1446832744693[1].gif (1MB, 419x237px) Image search: [Google]
1446832744693[1].gif
1MB, 419x237px
>>77509514
>>77511734
>>77512385
Typical anti-Bendis memers. You guys are the worst of the worst. Always crying because Marvels best writer is reinvigorating comics with his top selling stories. I bet you guys are the same idiots crying about the X-men too. Well too bad, his X-men run is highly praised everywhere else like reddit, and will go down as one of the best. Issue 600 took old and boring characters and reinvigorated them into a new progressive age. Glad Extraordinary X-men will continue his plan.

And there is nothing you can do to stop the Bendis train, lol.
>>
>>77512582
this looks like pasta
>>
If you want to get started with more of the events that led to the recent stuff then begin with Morrison's New X-men or if you wanna skip that then go straight to Whedon's Astonishing.
>>
I always read x-men.Never cared for avengers. dropped spider-man, didnt like f4 because if Reed.
>>
Holy shit, almost nobody actually answered op. This board definetely has seen better days.

OP, if you're still there, read Claremont's X-men. He is the guy who wrote the phoenix stuff. Read all his run starting with Giant-Size X-Men or just read his most important stories that you can find anywhere.

While you can and should read post AvX stuff, I would recommend reading a little further actually, because Bendis run focuses on a lot on what came before actually. Which is mainly Schism which led to Kieron Gillen's run on Uncanny X-men and Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men. You should read those. Aaron has some good stories with Wolverine solo too which are actually some of the best there is out there and Kieron gillen's run was nice, INCLUDING the AvX tie-ins which you should definetely read.

Grant Morrison's X-men from the 2000s is also great in my opinion and a good followup to Claremont, which is giantic and almost everything that came after Claremont until Morrison came up and shoke the X-mythos was bad.

After all that you can read Bendis run, but I personally dropped it after 20 issues because of... Well, Kitty and guardians of the galaxy shit. Didn't helped that they cross over all the time.
>>
>>77510344
>Was bringing back the original 5

That was never a good idea. Literally, never.

>Cyclops into Magneto not such a good idea?

That shit started much earlier than Bendis, dipshit bandwagon faggot.
>>
>>77513022

Btw, Whedon's Astonishing X-men is a sequel of sorts do Morrison's New x-men and also good. Seconded.

After that pretty much all x-books got caught in crossover over starting with Messiah Complex, but some good books came out of this era.

Mainly stuff like X-Statix, X-Factor, Uncanny X-Force later, etc. X-men Legacy to an extent, maybe. But yeah, Claremont's X-men and uncanny x-men are good. The 80s stuff. Excalibur and Captain Britain also come to mind.
>>
Read Claremonts first run
Read New Mutants up until Cable is introduced
Read X-factor until inferno
Read whedons astonishing x-men run
Read Uncanny X-force
Read morrisons x-men run

By this point you should know what else you want to read if anything.
>>
Not for nothing but I think Kirby and Lee's X-Men wasn't bad, even if they were halfassing it. You had a lot of nice art, at least.
>>
>>77513197

Yeah, but then it turns to shit real fast until Claremont comes around.

I like the origin story, Children of the Atom though. I don't even remember who wrote it but it was nice.
>>
>>77511842
It had HUGE potential for Marvel to revitalize Storm.
Storm as an ideological counterpoint to Cyclops who doesn't reek of hypocrisy. Storm who'd spent the previous 5 years as Queen of Wakanda, a well loved public figure and mutant rights advocate/figurehead.
Storm, who could have turned around and backed Cyclops' play in AvX despite her misgivings. Wolverine would still have his role as the Avenger's house mutant (Beast could work too). Then when Namor floods Wakanda, Storm would have all the more reason to dislike Scott, and all the more reason to blame herself what happened to her marriage.

They could have spent the last four years giving Storm a reason to exist again, beyond being Wolverine's sometimes fuck-buddy.
>>
>>77516370
>beyond being Wolverine's sometimes fuck-buddy.

Don't forget Aaron writing a scene where she and Wolverine just start making out while Black Panther watches
>>
>>77512640
It is
>>
>>77516370
>It had HUGE potential for Marvel to revitalize Storm.
Not an Avenger. And she's hypocritical as fuck because she didn't bat an eye at Logan's X-Force.
>>
>>77509405
Grant Morrison's New X-Men
>>
>>77518697
>And she's hypocritical as fuck because she didn't bat an eye at Logan's X-Force.

Which is just bad writing in general.
>>
>>77509405
>Just finished Avengers vs X-Men

You belong in the garbage.
>>
>>77518712
Bad writing is canon. Just like Phoenix Five never tried to fix X-Gene. I have to read interviews to see did that happen or not.
>>
>>77509405
Right after House of M would be a good start
>>
>>77509738
That sounds like a horrible fanfic like wolverine left to join spongebob and fight tommy pickles all growed up
The xmen need to be in their own universe
>>
Ultimate.
Read it all.
Especially Wood.
Then stop.
Forever.
>>
>>77521418
>recommending the worst Ultimate line
>>
>>77521639
Dude, that was when shit got really fun.

Kitty had her awesome Shroud costume, mutants found out they were the results of science experiments, which allowed for Johnny Storm to make philosophical arguments concerning the difference between him and Bobby being basically nonexistent. They were living in the Morlock tunnels, so many 616 counterparts were dead, allowing for a focus shift.

The only thing that sucked about that era was the dropped Apocalypse story line.
>>
>>77509405

The Bendis X-Men run is either the worst X-Men run ever, or the second worst after Chuck Austens.

Read Gillens X-Men, it was the last time X-Men were good, around 2012, and it is very tied to Avengers vs X-Men.

Then read the Morrison run.

And if you want classic X-Men with Storm, Nightcrawler and all those characters, you have the gigantic Claremont run that went from the second half of the 70s to 1991.
Claremont invented the X-Men pretty much.
>>
>>77523060
>The Bendis X-Men run is either the worst X-Men run ever, or the second worst after Chuck Austens.
Austen didn't write flagship so Bendis' is worse.
>>
>>77512582
Waiter, this pasta is cold and stale.
>>
File: Back to Brok- 013.jpg (5KB, 220x99px) Image search: [Google]
Back to Brok- 013.jpg
5KB, 220x99px
>>77523060
>Read Gillens X-Men, it was the last time X-Men were good
>>
>>77512582
Bendis please go.
>>
>>77512681
Skipping Morrison and for whedon? Don't listen to this nonsense.
>>
>>77513022
>After all that you can read Bendis run, but I personally dropped it after 20 issues because of...
You can read like the first 10 issues and then just read #600. If it seems like literally nothing happened but fucking up the characters, then you practically read the whole story.

Although cyclops uniting the mutants in peace was a nice touch (fuck I gave bendis some credit), bendis still squandered potentially best set up X-men ever had.
>>
>>77524400
>bendis still squandered potentially best set up X-men ever had.
Totally. Instead of literal freedom fighters, team who beats the fuck out of cops and rescues mutants, send them to JGS and searches for Sinister, we got "Scott Summers? Scott. Summers. Scott Summers!"
>>
File: image.jpg (779KB, 640x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
779KB, 640x1920px
Pic related is also a pretty decent list.
>>
>>77524477
At least we got faggot iceman... Oh... Well what about the kekoos having distinct personalities... Wait that was shit too... Well everyone like teenage acting magik, right? No?
>>
>>77524558
Add stellar couples X-23/Angel and already killed Jean/Beast.
>>
>>77524504
>new mutants up to #54

Why not read at least until Inferno?
>>
File: 133458965932.jpg (157KB, 1279x945px) Image search: [Google]
133458965932.jpg
157KB, 1279x945px
>>77524504
>Pic related is also a pretty decent list.
It starts off well, but around the 2000s, it just starts throwing random quality comics at the reader instead of actually trying to keep a consistent reading order, which wouldn't be all that impossible.
But then I can't fault the creator too much for putting self-contained stuff like X-Statix and X-Factor 2005 on there instead of trying to follow the narrative of the line.

You know, I was considering doing a reading guide for Morrison to AvX as a lot of good stuff is all lined up there.
But then I remembered the fact that from Schism onward there's no way to dodge the crappy event books anymore and since AvX is also a really crappy pay-off to everything, I'm not sure if it's ultimately worth it. At the same time, stopping at Messiah Complex would leave out too much stuff still.
Then there's still the problem of "everything good" versus "one consistent narrative"
>>
>>77525114
>At the same time, stopping at Messiah Complex would leave out too much stuff still.
*Second Coming.
>>
>>77510344
Bendis is a good writer for SoL stories with little plot advancement.He mostly focuses on character thoughts and interactions(characters just sitting and chatting).

This by itself isn't bad, especially since that aspect is often ignored by other comic writers so Bendis can be a nice change of pace.
o, the worst thing is that he doesn't give a shit about continuity and previous characterization, and all his characters end up sounding the same.
If you've never read those characters before you won't care and maybe enjoy it. If you liked the characters before you'll hate how they've been butchered.
>>
>>77524504
pretty good list. it's still tip of the iceberg
>>
>>77516416
wuuuuuuuuuuuut

You know what? W.e. That BPxStorm shit was BS to begin with
>>
>>77521722
>Kitty had her awesome Shroud costume, mutants found out they were the results of science experiments, which allowed for Johnny Storm to make philosophical arguments concerning the difference between him and Bobby being basically nonexistent. They were living in the Morlock tunnels, so many 616 counterparts were dead, allowing for a focus shift.

So, basically, you're telling him to read Ultimate X-Men... AFTER ULTIMATE X-MEN ENDED IN ULTIMATUM? Great job
>>
>>77518697
Didn't she almost stop talking to him period?
>>
>>77524400

I think I will do that. Talking about x-men is making me want to read them again.

And yes, fuck /co/ but Bendis' take on Cyclops was the highlight of his run. He is just terrible with teams in general and terrible pacing (nothing fucking happens)
>>
>>77521722
Literally everything you listed is why that run sucked ass. Just wow
>>
>>77524300
Whedon had the best Cyclops of the two though
>>
>>77525114

Do it.

I've always wanted to read more stuff asides from Supernovas.

But you SHOULD include stuff like X-Factor, X-Statix and X-Force. Maybe X-Men legacy too. People need to know they are good and worth it.
>>
>>77525516

Everything he listed is when the run was over and it's Post-Ultimatum plots.

>>77525544

Still, it's a sequel to New X-Men. Whedon's characterization was totally based on Morrison's.
>>
>>77525490
Yeah, stopped talking. Only fucked him and went to mope in her solo "what would Logan do?".
>>
>>77518697
>And she's hypocritical as fuck because she didn't bat an eye at Logan's X-Force.

Why would she? Didn't she lead her own X-Force team of females right after Logan's team was disbanded?
>>
>>77525591
Glad I avoided that solo
>>
>>77525618
Covers were good, but inside. Sheesh. Best piece was those Africans telling Storm they just pretended to believe she's Goddess. Free rain is free rain.
>>77525609
That's all propaganda by that evil Cyclops.
>>
>>77525589
Yes, but back when I was first getting into comics, whedon's cyclops was one of the reasons I was able to give X-Men a chance. I had started reading Morrison's X-men for a bit before then, but when the leader is boring as shit, theres not much to hold onto. Thats just me though
>>
>>77525654

New X-Men just takes a little while to get going.

And you clearly didn't read the Weapon X story. Wolverine and Cyclops were golden in that.
>>
File: XMEN00120TH_COV_col4.jpg (1MB, 1280x520px) Image search: [Google]
XMEN00120TH_COV_col4.jpg
1MB, 1280x520px
Starting from Claremont uat least you get a consistent writer/artist team with a genuine comic feel.
Also, there are no posers and no tracers...or porn tracers, Liefield does happen though.....
>>
>>77525798
And look where we are now. Xavier and Jean dead, Beast batshit, Wolverine dead, Magneto hero, Storm and Colossus do God knows what, Rogue is Avenger and Gambit is heavy limbo.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.