[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>There will never ever be a third season of this thanks to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 14

File: SatAMtitle.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SatAMtitle.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>There will never ever be a third season of this thanks to Power Rangers

I-i guess SEGA/DiC dodged a bullet by scrapping it before Penders could fuck it up...
>>
Hurst was fucking it up enough already.
>>
They should do a comic sequel.
>>
Am I the only one who liked the Looney Tunes one? It's shortcomings are obvious, but I still found it rather charming. I think its sort of an example of naïve surrealism.
>>
File: SonicUniverse50Cover-noscale.jpg (218KB, 864x1326px) Image search: [Google]
SonicUniverse50Cover-noscale.jpg
218KB, 864x1326px
>>77483387
They'd probably be able to get away with doing that without having to risk getting sued.

Would Ian do justice with it like he'd probably do with pic related?
>>
It's not like the show was any good though.
The two main villains were the only good part.
>>
File: Subterranean Sonic 84.png (834KB, 919x703px) Image search: [Google]
Subterranean Sonic 84.png
834KB, 919x703px
>>77483551
>Am I the only...

No

No you're not.
>>
>>77483551
Yes. That shit was for 6-8 year olds. It was repetitive and mindless. It was like Sonic for retarded kids. Captain Planet was better than that drek.
>>
That show was just not that good, I mean, it was better than stuff like Sonic Underground, but considering all the praise this show receives one would expect something much better.
>>
Disney, actually. When they bought out ABC they cancelled every show that they didn't personally create.

So Sonic, Tales from the Cryptkeeper, Reboot... all dead, no questions asked.
>>
>>77483551
It and Boom are the only Sonic shows that I don't find completely insufferable.
>>
>Made a vow their mother would be found
>Never found her

Way to go Sonia and Manic.
>>
>>77483551
it certainly captured the essence of the sonic games much better than sat-am
>>
>>77483355
the only thing good about this show was the intro
>>
>>77485522

Amen to that. X came close, but they blew it with Chris.
>>
>>77483355
This show was awesome to me as a kid. Pretty cringey as an adult. Honestly, this show would be better if Sonic hadn't been a part of it. I think this could've been a decent cartoon if all the furries had been replaced with just regular people.

As a kid who grew up with Sonic everything, my rankings are as is:
>Sonic the Hedgehog OVA
>Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
>Sonic Boom TV series
>
>
>
>
>
>>Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM
>>
>>
>>
>>>Sonic Underground
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>>Sonic X
>>
>>77485557
God did Chris suck. Wheelchair girl was way more interesting when she and Sonic interacted.

At least the "I DONT CARE ABOUT THE WORLD D:" stuff in the first finale was better than how they did it in 06.
>>
>>77485592
>The OVA

STRANGE ISNT IT
>>
>>77483551
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was more in tune with the games. and has aged better than SatAM.
>>
>>77483551
Looking back, the show is is pretty funny. It's so dumb that it rounds back to hilarious.

One of my favorite scenes is when Sonic and Robotnic are having a dogfight in the sky, and Sonic pretends to shoot a rifle by making "ratatatata!" noise, and shoots down Robotnic's plane, and he says "How does he do that?"
>>77485592
The show is 90s as fuck, and going back to it is a bit harder than you think it is.

I still like it, but yeah.
>>
File: benhurst.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
benhurst.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>>77483355
Ben "Dragon Fucker" Hurst was shitting up the SatAM as much as Ken Penders raped Archie Sonic

Be glad it didn't last beyond a second season
>>
>>77485647
The dub is the only thing that makes the OVA. The original Japanese version is pretty plain and uninspired. The English dub actually breathes life into it. One of few English dubs I'll tolerate just because the original is too boring otherwise.
>>
>>77485592
>Adventures over Boom
>>
>>77485592
>I think this could've been a decent cartoon if all the furries had been replaced with just regular people.
that exists, its called Skeleton Warriors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

its alright
>>
>>77485708
Just for nostalgia purposes. I grew out of Sonic once Adventure rolled around, so I'm not keen on the redesign and Boom's a little too new for me to fully appreciate.
>>
>>77485717

I miss Tony Jay...
>>
>>77485677
the voice acting for robotnik definitely helps the show a lot, just reading the words "how does he do that" I was able to hear it in my head and I don't remember that episode at all
>>
>>77485768
Long John Baldry definitely carried that show. His voice for Robotnik was perfect for that incarnation.
>>
File: c640x360_32.jpg (20KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
c640x360_32.jpg
20KB, 640x360px
>>77485470
>>
>>77485619
I think the issue with Chris is that he isn't just The Tagalong Kid, but he's a kind whiny git, and his arc makes him kind of hard to sympathize with.

His family is rich, his parents love him, he has servants that are that dote on him, his grandfather is some sort of super-scientist he friends, and is active at school, but his deal is that his parents aren't around as often because they're busy with work, so he needs somebody to latch on to, and Sonic's a cool dude, so why not him?

Maybe if he were a lonely kid without any real friends or something like that, but maybe they would have thought would be depressing. The issue is that they either disable their "Kid" character so his attachment to the primary character makes more sense, or give him an actual broken home, but nobody wants to watch that sad shit.
Or maybe they shouldn't have bothered with trying to write a story like that and just had him be a kid having awesome adventures and what not.

The only time he really gets around is in Season Three, but that's because hes an adult in a kid's body at that point, and not the focal point of the series. That ending actually made me sad, to be honest.
>>
>>77485757
we all do
>>
>>77485557
I remember when Sonic X was coming out, I actually downloaded the first episode, hoping it was going to be like the OVA.

I remember being so excited when Sonic launched himself off the highway into the sky....and then he landed in Chris's pool, and I lost interest and didn't look back for years.
>>
>>77485717
It's amazing how I grew up in the '90s and yet there are still cartoons that aired that I'm unaware of. I seemed to only have experienced the most basic cartoons from that period. I never knew about Biker Mice from Mars or Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills or Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa until I got involved with internet in 2003. I missed out on a lot of the cult TV from that era. I know more about obscure '80s cartoons than I do about obscure '90s cartoons. And I lived more years in the '90s than I did in the '80s.
>>
>>77485717
Jesus Christ
The FUCKING 90s. The shit people came up with.
>>
>>77485557
>X came close
Even taking Chris out of the picture, no. No they really didn't. X tried to pack a shitton of modern Anime bullshit into the mix when the series was never that animu to begin with. You'll have to point out where they took a squad of Power Rangers as a team of villains from. Or that stupid "Dark Sonic" shit.
>>
>>77485592
Good list. This seems fair.
>>
>>77485592
I remember seeing reviews on Sonic OVA.

Why people like to hail it as black hole of Sonic's franchise? It's the next best animated thing he ever had after Sonic CD's opening.
>>
>>77485851
>I think the issue with Chris is that he isn't just The Tagalong Kid, but he's a kind whiny git, and his arc makes him kind of hard to sympathize with.

Didn't Cream of all people call him out on his bullshit in an early episode? I know Eggman did later on, at least.
>>
>>77485930
yeah there are some good ones that never get talked about, its a shame

a few real obscure, but enjoyable ones I'd put on that list are
-conan the adventurer
-bots master (probably the only action cartoon with an underaged protagonist who is actually competent)
-the savage dragon
-exosquad (real awesome show)
-shadow raiders: war planets
>>
>>77486091

It sure ain't the black hole anymore.

Not after 06, Underground, the Bollers years of the comic, Boom...
>>
>>77486123
Sonic OVA isn't even on the same page as things you've listed.

Shut up Boco.
>>
>>77486091
I dunno. Probably just put off by the dub or the universe created for the OVA specifically... probably the characterization of Sera, the President of the Capital and Old Man Owl... I suspect just stupid shit they take far too seriously. Can't just sit back and enjoy something, y'know.

I enjoyed the OVA because it was short but not too short, and the dub seemed to be aware of what it was and didn't take it all too seriously. I also really liked Sonic's dub voice for some odd reason. For whatever reason, the occasional Southern twang in his voice seemed to suit him to me... especially taking into account the rebellious, independent nomadic attitude of his.
>>
>>77486146

I know. Thats the point.

Its a masterpiece compared to that stuff.
>>
>>77486198
Yeah, Sonic's dub was really weird, but once you get used to it it's kind of cool.

Tails is trash, though.
>>
>>77486115
I don't know about Cream, but I know Eggman gives it to him.

Fuck, who's going to voice Dr. Eggman now? (in Japanese)
>>
>>77483355
It's kinda sad really. It was a pretty good show. One of the best Sonic cartoons. But that's not really saying much now is it.
>>
>>77486293
Tails' voice always takes some getting used to even in repeat viewings. It sounds like the voice actor had to get into the groove through the OVA itself, and it shows. So the voice sounds kinda rough in the beginning but you warm up to it by the end.

I think Jaleel White was the perfect voice for his '90s American personality. His '90s American personality and '90s Japanese personality were actually different. His American personality was more exemplified by the '90s "extreme" aesthetic in cartoons and comics at the time. While his Japanese personality was more of a Japanese view on the American aesthetic as a whole. In America, Sonic was rebellious and crude in a sophomoric way. While in Japan, Sonic's rebellious and cantankerous nature are a characterization of American culture in general from a foreign view.

There's a subtle personal touch to Sonic and Tails being representations of America and Japan respectively. Sonic sports red, white, and blue colors. Tails' shoes sport red and white colors like the Japanese flag and his character is a kitsune, a Japanese mythical fox figure. Sonic treats Tails as a child and Tails idolizes Sonic but eventually wants to grow independent from him, mirroring U.S.-Japanese relations post-WWII and latent nationalistic intentions within Japan in a post-WWII era.
>>
>>77486530

>Sonic treats Tails as a child and Tails idolizes Sonic but eventually wants to grow independent from him, mirroring U.S.-Japanese relations post-WWII and latent nationalistic intentions within Japan in a post-WWII era.

Deepest lore.
>>
>>77486582
It's just my own personal view on the Japanese Sonic canon of the 1990s.
>>
>>77486293
Tails sounds like he has a cold the whole time.
>>
>>77483355
>thanks to Power Rangers
God bless Power Rangers.
>>
As a kid I very nearly bought a VHS copy of Sonic "The Movie" OVA, but instead I changed my mind and got Muppets From Space and Batman Beyond "The Movie" (really just the first two episodes).

Did I really miss out?
>>
>>77486530
>and latent nationalistic intentions within Japan in a post-WWII era
and yet...
>>
>>77486530
I think you are taking things too deep considering we're talking about Sonic. The Hedgehog.
>>
>>77487332
Sonic was based on Michael Jackson and Bill Clinton.
>>
>>77487612
Oh, and Santa Claus.
>>
>>77486698
indeed, though its a real shame it didn't start a year later so it could be based on Dairanger instead of Zyuranger

watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmKw2msvGeo
>>
File: EggmanSoni&KCollection.png (241KB, 744x760px) Image search: [Google]
EggmanSoni&KCollection.png
241KB, 744x760px
>>77487612
>>77487690
And Eggman(at least his classic design, anyway) was based on Teddy Roosevelt, John Lennon and a walrus.
>>
File: doesnotcompute.jpg (16KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
doesnotcompute.jpg
16KB, 325x325px
>>77487612
>>77487690
I knew about the Michael Jackson inspiration, but how the fuck did they draw from Santa Clause and Slick Willy?
>>
File: ACKCHYUALLY.png (69KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ACKCHYUALLY.png
69KB, 500x500px
>>77485470
>>77483355
Actually, Penders was one of the reasons a third season didn't get made.
http://www.saturdaymorningsonic.com/features/ben_hurst/
>>
>>77489230
When Sega tried to make a new mascot to serve as a competitor to Nintendo’s Mario, they had everyone in the company draw their own characters. They ultimately decided on a hedgehog that can roll into a ball. They made him blue to resemble the SEGA logo. He’s wearing Michael Jackson’s boots from “Bad”, only they turned them red to be like Santa Claus. His personality is based off of Bill Clinton.
>>
>>77485988
Let's not forget Season 3 with Cosmo and that whole weird ass Metarec Arc
>>
>>77489700
Well then, will we see Sonic on the sax?
>>
>>77485647

That's actually a really cool scene. The music is hype af tbpfh family.
>>
>>77483551
I enjoyed it to. It was on before i went to school instead of OPs pic which was on saturdays and on 11:00am way past me watching toon and going to do something else.

Never got the chili dog thing though. I thought sonic ate the rings as a kid.
>>
>>77483551
Adventures had it's moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wz5AxRnjY0
>>
>>77489700
Adding to the Santa thing, his birthplace is also listed as Christmas Island.
>>
>>77485592
What was so bad with Sonic X?
I've only seen the 90's Sonic cartoons and I thought X looked okay, granted I saw like 2 episodes, lol.
>>
File: Robotnik ova.jpg (56KB, 615x475px) Image search: [Google]
Robotnik ova.jpg
56KB, 615x475px
>>77486091
The OVA's fucking perfect. It captures the spirit and atmosphere of the old games spot on, and has exactly the tone Sonic should have. The writing and animation were great, humor and action were both excellent.
>>
>>77485592
>adventures higher than boom
>underground higher than x
X was bad, but let's not get crazy here. X at least had the stray good episode, it did get progressively better as it went along, and it did have a phenomonal Eggman. Underground is just universally bad. Litearlly it's only redeeming quality is it's opening. It even had a boring Robotnik. How the fuck do you do that? Robotnik/Eggman is consistently great even in the worst Sonic shit. He steals the show in every other show, in the OVA, in every game he's in, but Underground's Robotnik was forgettable as fuck.
>>
File: 1430785027073.jpg (6KB, 196x267px) Image search: [Google]
1430785027073.jpg
6KB, 196x267px
>>77491576
>Tails is an orphan
>Sonic abandons him at first sight
>Tails saves his life is an ungrateful jackass
And the Dickbag of the Year Award goes to Sonic the Hedgehog.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NqPAEWVKU

Sonic CD cutscenes were the best animation we'll ever see out of Sega. Ever.
>>
>>77492811
C'mon, we always knew that.
>>
>>77486783
If you like Sonic, you missed out.
>>
>>77485592
Sonic X would have been good except for Chris
>>
>>77487040
Those sort of protests wouldn't be necessary if Japan wasn't going through a blatant nationalistic militaristic phase.
>>
>>77483551
It was the only one that I was able to watch because it was the only channel to come in clear. If I wanted to change the channel, I had to go outside, and twist the pole the antennae was attached to and hope it was the right one.

Also, the only thing I like about it nowadays is Robotnik. Mostly because the YTP, but even alone he's kinda funny just with how over the top he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QeYpjbsGfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIp0UknXmvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGPRSRvfzA
>>
>>77495870
Someone actually took time to compile this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjuhnuwFBQw
>>
File: 1423500150645.png (42KB, 356x297px) Image search: [Google]
1423500150645.png
42KB, 356x297px
>>77495122
Removing Chris would have certainly made the show more watchable, but let's face it: Sonic X had a lot of fundamental issues too.

Like why did the majority of the series have to take place on Earth? If their goal was the adapt SA1 and 2 then they really should have skipped to just that instead of meandering around for 40 or so filler episodes before doing so. Speaking of which, pretty much all of these episodes consist of the gang getting into some kind of trouble and Sonic being a lazy 2cool4skool fuck until the last second where he saves the day by being either A) OP as fuck or B) cheap plot device. Rinse and repeat. Then, when you get to the actual adaptations they're watered down versions of the games' plots (Which is really saying something.) with fucking Chris getting shoved into every scene that could have had any sort of emotional value and sucking said emotion out of there faster than a two dollar whore. (Why did Chris have a homolust relationship with Shadow? I mean seriously?) But I digress from Chris related bullshit.

The show is just all over the fucking place. You'll find a somewhat decent episode here or there, but that's mostly in the adaptations where it would seem they actually gave a fuck by accident. Then the rest is just filler garbage. And don't even get me started on the last season. (Cosmo a shit. A SHIT.) While it was nice to get away from Earth, it didn't really help much because the plot was contrived and full of hack fraud POTTERY towards the end. It was a little better overall than the previous seasons (not counting adaptations) but it was far too little too late. And I don't even need to point out the redundancy of Chris being there in that last season. If he was pointless before, then he sure as fuck was then. Remove him, and the story remains virtually the same.

Oh, and the English dub is mind numbingly bad. Which, for me, only compounded the problems the show had.

I am, of course, excluding based Mike Pollock.
>>
>>77489557

Actually no, what happened was:
>realizing that making a full-blown season 3 is next to impossible, Ben decided to make a pitch for a SatAM movie to serve as replacement for S3
>he mentions the pitch to Sega's representative, they tell him the idea sounds passable, so he goes on with the plan
>Penders somehow catches wind of this, badgers Ben to let him participate, Ben allows him
>in attempt to hog all the glory for himself, Ken makes his own rushed pitch which had NOTHING to do with Ben's idea (Ken is infamous for refusing to cooperate with other artists/writers; it always has to be his way) and sends it to Sega
>Ben gets in contact with representative, unaware of what Ken did, the representative is pissed and tells him never to contact them again
>when Ben confronts Ken, the latter says "it would never pick up off the ground anyway, I know how movies are made in Hollywood."
>>
>>77496275
God I love him
>>
>>77485444
>It was like Sonic for retarded kids

So just Sonic then?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.