[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Archer so much better than Moonbeam City?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: cheryl.gif (345KB, 244x199px) Image search: [Google]
cheryl.gif
345KB, 244x199px
Why is Archer so much better than Moonbeam City?
>>
>>77482578
Doesn't crutch as much on its setting. Feels a lot more true to itself.
>>
>>77482578
fuck is moon beam?
>>
Have you ever noticed that every joke in Archer is either
-a sex joke
-a play on words
>>
>>77482786
phrasing!
>>
>>77482786
Also sexism, racism, and gleeful neglect of other social norms.
>>
>>77483153
tumblr pls
>>
>>77482578
archer might be better overall, but moon beam has better women
>>
>>77483257
What does that even mean?
>>
>>77483284
As in they look better?
>>
>>77482578
Moonbeam just started give it time
>>
>>77483446
Yeah, I can agree with that.
>>
Despite his many many character flaws, Archer actually is good at his job.
Dazzle on the other hand, really isn't. In fact no one seems to be except Chrysalis, and that whole hyper competent sidekick that never gets credit thing can get old fast.
>>
Moonbeam City? Never even heard of it.
>>
Moonbeam City has awful stiff animation that I cant believe was approved to air. Archer has a disgusting art style but the animation is watchable
>>
>>77483305
holy fucking newfag!
>>
>>77483388
Pizzaz ️️
>>
>>77483153
Kek yeah those things are all great
>>
After a quick search it seems that it is based on an 80's artstyle and they hired names instead of voice actors to play the parts. The animation is shoddy, and the performances are wooden and it is written by Scott Gairdner, who is not at all funny.
>>
I like both equally, but M.C. needs to utilize Chrysalis more than they are. Oh, well. Only five episodes have aired so far. I should be patient.
>>
>>77482578
I wanna fuck Sheryl's asshole inside out.
>>
Moonbeam's style is better, but its got terrible animation and jokes are almost completely lack luster/ terrible. Great soundtrack.

Archer's animation is bad, but at least it has animation. Its writing and jokes usually hit home, and the characters are less one dimensional (compared to Moonbeam)

so one is style over substance
>>
File: moooooonbeamCITY.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
moooooonbeamCITY.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>77482578
Competent main character, entire setting isn't just one big parody but has some plot

Moonbeam got some sweet style tho
>>
>>77483153
people who think Archer is racist are usually morons with no appreciation for irony.
>>
>>77485092
Yeah.

Archer has a ton of racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc. but the people making them are all basically horrible sociopaths. It's how you do that kind of humor without it coming off as malicious.

Helps also that the character who's usually the most sensible, competent, and generally good-natured be a black woman.
>>
>>77485864
It's pretty funny because Archer actually has a lot of diversity. The main cast includes a black woman, a gay man, and Pam who is fat but is still treated (often) as being attractive. And the most racist character on the show, Mallory, is shown to be one of the biggest assholes on the show.

And then the show still goes for being offensive as possible. It's a fun balance.
>>
Moonbeam city is great. I also love the aesthetics. I think it is a hidden gem. It is the funniest thing on tv right now. You guys should give it a shot. The weakest episode so far is the one where dazzle has a conflict with her sisters. A pretty good one is the one with the rivalry with the firefighters.
>>
>>77486070
If I had to be bffs forever with any one cartoon character, it'd be Pam.
>>
>>77486070
Mallory is favorite character on the show. I like them all really.

I tried sitting through one episode of MoonBeam City, but the MC is too stupid.
>>
>>77486743
Well of course. She's the best.
>>
>>77486220
relly? I loved that episode. the whole notion of mining crude lasers is hilarious, as was almost every scene of the sisters interacting
>>
>>77484161
>Dazzle on the other hand, really isn't.

Archer has actually failed more often during his first season than Dazzle has.

Plus, Dazzle managed to do the whole drug lord thing a lot better in a single episode than Sterling did during the entirety of VICE.
>>
A word of advice is don't watch moonbeam with the mindset of comparing its humor to archer. They're different kinds of comedy.

Moonbeam has a lighter, sillier sense of humor while Archer has a more serious, wittier sense of humor with action and adventure.

Just look at two main characters. Archer is in his 40s and his an established secret agent. Dazzle is happy-go-lucky cop in his 20s.

Don't put the shows in competition with each other just because they similar settings. Instead, enjoy each one separately for their different senses of humor, characters, and aesthetics.
>>
Moonbeam City has hotter R34.
>>
>>77486804
Mallory is funny as hell, but mostly because of how awful she is.

"Ah, the Irishman's dillema. Do you eat the potato now or wait for it to ferment and drink it?"

>>77486960
Archer is a pretty shitty cartel runner. Just like he made a shitty pirate. Not really cutthroat enough.
>>
It's weird that despite arguably being more deranged (he is sober during most of his psychopathic antics after all), Dazzle is a lot less vile than Archer is. Most of his peers also actually like him.
>>
>>77486934
maybe I didn't enjoy because I had to pause it halfway through and do something else. that maybe ruined the pacing.
>>77487021
this. Moonbeam City is not an Archer clone. It is closer to Reno 911 than it is to Archer.
>>
Honestly I really like both moonbeam and archer.
Would recommend both.
>>
>>77487118
Archer isn't really vile. Especially towards the later seasons. Still an insensitive, ignorant asshole, but not really vile.
>>
File: 1401592544637.png (786KB, 942x490px) Image search: [Google]
1401592544637.png
786KB, 942x490px
>>77482578
A better question is why is Metalocalypse better than Moonbeam City since they're closer.

But yes Archer is also better. I fucking love Moonbeam City though, it has picked up since the third episode and I have high hopes for the rest of the season
>>
File: FriskyDingo.jpg (75KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
FriskyDingo.jpg
75KB, 500x375px
They're both alright but neither of them is the clearly superior show.

because Frisky Dingo still exists in our memories
>>
>>77487618
can someone explain the connection between this show and Haggar pants? did they randomly decide to sponsor the show or what?
>>
>>77487406
He's a pretty terrible person a lot of the time, but when you deal with that constantly in modern comedy where do you draw the line for vile? I guess he hasn't killed anyone who isn't a spy or soldier. Or did I forget where he offed a random normie once?
>>
>>77489218
>He's a pretty terrible person a lot of the time, but when you deal with that constantly in modern comedy where do you draw the line for vile?
Oh, Archer is undoubtedly a total asshole most of the time, but I wouldn't call him vile, which I equate more to evil. He is rarely truly actively malicious. Most of the people he intentionally hurts are villains or were after him first. And Cyril and Woodhouse. The latter is more based on a really bad childhood getting taken out on his caretaker and former is Cyril.

So I guess my point is I don't think being a self-absorbed prick necessarily takes him to that level. Especially when you show that he can, when he puts his mind to it, be compassionate, especially to animals and his friends.
>>
>>77487021
This
>>
File: Patrick Nagel.jpg (174KB, 1280x731px) Image search: [Google]
Patrick Nagel.jpg
174KB, 1280x731px
>>77487024
>>77483284

I think Moonbeam City is only okay, but I really have to give it credit for getting me interested in Patrick Nagel's art.
>>
>>77485092
it's actually pretty irritatingly politically correct, but.. what isn't? it's still a good show
i just can't wait til those who worship at the PC altar finally realize they'll remain targets of their own terrorist soldiers just the same, no matter what they do
>>
>>77486220

You didn't like laser mining?

Man, I fucking loved laser mining.
>>
>>77485864
if anything it's insulting that the black chick is boringly perfect. if i was black i'd be fucking sick of them never being allowed to be anything but the ace. it's like they went straight from 'not portrayed at all' to 'always portrayed respectfully and always included' with very little in between except the funky 70s
though i'd rather people just be race blind and instead acknowledge cultures and how some of them are bad and okay to attack

in any case lana is at her best when her facade slips
>>
>>77490974
>it's actually pretty irritatingly politically correct, but.. what isn't?
Is it really? I mentioned its cast is actually fairly diverse, but it still goes for pretty much every joke it can. Does the fact that Archer himself dislikes racism negate the fact that Mallory is herself an absolutely huge bigot, and her bigotry is a source of laughs?
>>
>>77490993
>in any case lana is at her best when her facade slips
That's kind of the best part. Lana is supposed to be the straight man of the group, but then frequently it becomes clear that she's just as fucking nuts as the rest of them and just tries to hide it.
>>
>>77485864
>Helps also that the character who's usually the most sensible, competent, and generally good-natured be a black woman.
But that's all a facade. Lana's actually like the shittiest person out of the lot of them.
>>
>>77491216
I don't know. Cyril still exists. And sometimes he gets power.
>>
>>77491355
Cyril CAN be shitty, yes.
But Lana's like that all the fucking time, she only pretends she isn't.

The end of Archer Vice solidified her in my mind as the absolute fucking worst.
>>
I don't know why people insist on comparing the two; they're nothing alike. If anything, Moonbeam City is more like Metalocalypse.
>>
>>77491425
I think it's because if you look on the surface, they appear alike. But it's really just on the surface.
>>
>>77483284
That it does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVA-VNVuv-Q
>>
>>77482786
There's a few literary references thrown in for good measure.
>Bartleby the Scrivner?
>Anybody?
>>
File: Pizzaz.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pizzaz.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>77482578
Archer doesn't have Pizzaz.
>>
>>77494259
Yeesh I probably should have a posted a smaller image.
>>
>>77491115
"Politically correct" is mostly just a term used by people butthurt that they've been called out as an asshole these days anyway, so if someone uses it unironically you can pretty much dismiss whatever they're trying to say.
>>
Archer morality (but they are all still completely hilarious):

Shit tier: Mallory, Krieger. Mallory is the kind of horrible person that exists and makes life hell for real people in the real world. Krieger is depravity as seen through the lens of the internet.

Terrible tier: Archer, in a pathetic way due to his upbringing, and Cyril, who has no such excuse.

Normal person tier: Pam, Lana, Ray.

Genuinely good guy tier: Woodhouse. Poor Woodhouse.

??? tier: Cheryl. Depraved but harmless.
>>
>>77482578
Archer has had 6 seasons and Moonbeam city hasn't even finished one.
>>
>>77494217
Also like ten million Lord of the Rings references.
>>
>>77494584
>Normal person
>Pam
>>
>>77494217

Or the Animal Farm joke when they were on the space station.
>>
I like the animation style given the art and theme that goes with it.
>>
>>77482578
The show's really aren't comparable.

Archer is a sitcom, and takes itself somewhat seriously. The world they live in is ostensibly pretty similar to the real one, or at least compared to moonbeam city, which takes place in a completely ludicrous sci-fi fantasy setting that involves mining crude laser and several thousand murders happening every second. Archer has character development and the characters are actually supposed to be somewhat relatable. Everyone in moonbeam city is a complete parody, a pure vehicle for jokes.

That's not to say any of these things are flaws with Moonbeam City, that's just the type of show it is. A lot of people I think, including me, were sort of disappointed with Moonbeam City at first because they thought it would just be trying to be Archer, but once I got past that, I really enjoy it. It's probably made me laugh harder than Archer, but it's hard to say. Archer's also gone on much longer and it's humor's grown stale, while Moonbeam City's still fresh.

Also Moonbeam City is hella pretty. Both shows are based on two of my favorite eras and aesthetic styles, but Moonbeam City blows Archer out of the park in terms of capturing and aesthetic and style.
>>
Moonbeam is trying to be Archer.

The people who keep trying to support Moonbeam here are the Moonbeam's marketers trying to promote their shit.
>>
>>77482578
I can't really compare them for much to be honest.
>>
>>77495196
>Moonbeam is trying to be Archer.
Moonbeam is if Archer and Metalocolypse had a child raised by Patric Nagel.
>>
>>77489464
Dazzle loves animals.

Sometimes a little too much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17SD-b997Ck
>>
>>77495196
aside from the two shows both having characters who look like cardboard cutouts on sticks being moved against static backgrounds they aren't very much alike at all desu
>>
>>77482578
What is taste?
Does it differ?
Is it subjective?
>>
>>77494259
I want to shabb her with me peener
>>
Moonbeam isn't as well-written as Archer was, but at least it's not relying on the same jokes and catchphrases.
>Phrasing!
>LANAAAA!
>Dangerzone!

It's new so I'm not sick of it yet, like I am with Archer.
>>
>>77482726

More like Archer doesn't have a setting. The fact Moonbeam City is focused on its setting is what makes it more interesting to me. The fact that it was founded on a natural resource of lazers is far funnier to me than any throwaway bit of dialogue in Archer. Archer got pretty samey really fast.
>>
>>77491144
>>77490993
Like the episode where she fucking sets up a kidnapping of her own child to test Archer.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.