[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why does Disney refuse to acknowledge this film, as well as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

File: 51M8YHT2JFL.jpg (49KB, 333x475px) Image search: [Google]
51M8YHT2JFL.jpg
49KB, 333x475px
So why does Disney refuse to acknowledge this film, as well as ones like Treasure Planet, Brave Little Toaster, and some other ones I can't remember

It's just that alleged "failures" like Hercules and Princess and The Frog are usually brought up or referenced in Disney media, but not these and certain other movies. Barely having a cameo on House of Mouse
>>
File: InMyDreams.png (175KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
InMyDreams.png
175KB, 900x900px
>>71139639
>Kingdom Hearts will never have an Atlantis or Treasure Planet world/section
>>
>>71139639
>Atlantis failed

What,I'm loved that film as a kid
>>
File: Keyblade_Glider_(Terra)_(1).png (222KB, 757x490px) Image search: [Google]
Keyblade_Glider_(Terra)_(1).png
222KB, 757x490px
>>71139656

Which sucks because Sora and the other Keybearers are supposedly getting things like this, but they won't have a good level to try them out in
>>
File: Kida and Milo.jpg (1MB, 2080x2984px) Image search: [Google]
Kida and Milo.jpg
1MB, 2080x2984px
>>71139639
Treasure Planet was a huge risk for Disney that utterly failed. A $140 million that only made back just under $110 million worldwide.
Brave Little Toaster wasn't actually made by Disney, they were just the distribution company on that.
I don't know where you got the idea that Hercules and Princess and the Frog were failures. Herc was made for $85 million and brought in over $250 million. PatF had a budget of $105 million and made nearly $270 million.
So those were big successes, financially, they just didn't get the critical reception Disney wanted.
Now Atlantis made money. Not much, but on a budget of $120 million is scored $180 million.
But it wasn't as well-received as Disney wanted. Especially since it was a huge risk for them to put out an animated movie with a PG rating. It didn't help that it was almost immediately bombarded with complaints and comparisons to a certain Japanese anime. But unlike the last time that happened with Lion King, Disney wasn't sitting high and mighty on a runaway smash hit success.
>>
>>71139811
I heard that the Nadia and Atlantis comparison were actually done by complete accident?
>>
>>71139857

What about Kimba and Lion King?
>>
>>71139857
Disney's official stance is still that the Lion King/ Kimba comparison is by accident. Even though it was leaked that their original plan was to have Simba be white and several animators admit they thought they were working on a Kimba adaptation.
>>
>>71139639
>Hercules
Hercules was far from a failure, it just wasn't a giant success
>>
>>71139811
>tfw one of your favorite movies didn't break even
>tfw that 2-D production value will never be seen again from Disney
>>
>>71139890
I would love to see animated Disney movie adpations of old Tezuka manga, I can imagine them making money of Princess Knight.
>>
The problem with both movies, as far as I've read about it, had nothing to do with the quality of the movie. They're gorgeous in so many ways, and they're my personal favorites from Disney.

The problem was money. Simple.
>>
>>71139934
They have over 700 mangas to choose from.
>>
>>71139955
>The problem was money. Simple.
First rule of show business is that it is, above all else, a business.
>>
File: jimhawkins.webm (3MB, 854x480px)
jimhawkins.webm
3MB, 854x480px
Did someone say Treasure Planet?
>>
>>71139905

This is so shitty. I love 2-D animation from disney, and I will probably never ever gonna see another good movie from disney in that style.

Ok, I like Pixar, but i'm getting kind of sick of 3D animation movies.
>>
>>71139811
Wasn't Treasure Planet so expensive because of the emerging 3D technology? Or at least the newer 3D technology at the time.
>>
>>71140153
Yes, the 2D and the 3D, while a good idea, was horribly expensive and audiences didn't buy into it.

Same thing happened with Sinbad over at Dreamworks.
>>
>>71140135
From the reaction Paper Man was getting, we might get something made in that same style. That is, 3D animated, but presented in 2D.
>>71140153
Short answer, yes. Disney wanted to get in on the whole CGI in animation thing, but no one at the time was very good at melding 2D characters with 3D CGI. Just look at how dated Titan AE looks, as well. Which also flopped two years before Treasure Planet.
It was a gamble, one that flopped for both Disney and Fox.
>>71140193
Oh yeah, forgot about Sinbad.
>>
>>71140193
It was a great idea, and it looked amazing at the time. I'd like to see what the big 3D companies like Animal Logic would do with huge flying space boats these days.
>>
>>71139857
See, similar things will come up when two companies use the same source material, which in this case is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
>>
I remember not liking this movie as a kid.

Watching it recently, it really has improved my judgement. The artwork is amazing, granted anything Mignola touches is near gold, and I love the side characters.

Not to mention it had diversity that was done properly, rather than a hamfisted SJW attempt.
>>
The movie became shit the moment they found Atlantis.
>>
>>71140222
But 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea had absolutely nothing to do with Atlantis having magical blue crystals and scantily-clad brown girls with green eyes wearing them who happened to be princesses of that domain.
>>
>>71140135
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Fbfo33mXs

;_;
>>
>>71140222
That's a stupid lie and you need to stop telling it.
>>
I just came here to remind everyone that Demolition Expert Guy is the best Disney character.

>captcha: ehomo

No, captcha. I don't like him that way.
>>
>>71140511
I can be your eHomo
>>
>>71139811
It doesn't help that Eisner pulled Treasure Planet from theatres early to try and pacify the stockholders.
>>
That a big bummer treasure planet failed, its one of my favorite movies. Only movie I have rewatched a couple times in a row and would never get sick of it
>>
>>71140602
I have actually watched that film over 30 times.
>>
File: Audrey05.jpg (31KB, 420x480px) Image search: [Google]
Audrey05.jpg
31KB, 420x480px
>>71140511
>not the latina Mechanics Girl
>>
>>71140259
funny that watching this movie when you're older makes you appreciate it more. there's even jokes and references that you actually funny while you didn't get them when you were a kid.
>>
I thought Treasure planet was good, it felt like an adventure. Even watching it now I still like it.

Atlantis I liked too, but I haven'st seen it in years. Actually I didn't even put together that it's heavily influenced by Nadia until now. Because I watched Nadia long after I forgot about this movie.
>>
>>71140511
Mah nigga
>>
>>71140632
The things I'd do to her.
>>
>>71140928
Education things?
>>
>>71141032
that was supposed to say educational
>>
>>71140928
Sensual love making with the lights off?
>>
>>71141032
>>71141069
Riding a bicycle built for two in a park.
Sharing a rootbeer float with.
Hand holding.
>>
I love the steampunk feel of atlantis and treasure planet.
>>
>>71141105
Something about the space-boats just get me goin', y'know?
>>
>>71141105
>>71141105
Atlantis is really a successor to the style of 20,000 leagues (1954) and Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1959). In regards to the latter, Atlantis would have probably had benefited from having a animal character like Gertrude the duck.
>>
>>71139639
I loved Atlantis. Disney really should stop being play-it-safe faggots. That's why Pixar keeps getting the Oscar every year.
>>
>>71140033
that dude gave me a lot of boners on a time when I didn't knew what boners were
>>
>>71139857
>believing Eisner's damage control
>>
>>71140632
>you will never be /o/ with her
>you will never build a plane with her
Life is suffering
>>
It's always nice thinking back to these movies and being surprised at all the "dark" elements of the films. Hercules was pretty shit, but Treasure Planet and Atlantis had some crazy action scenes.
>>
File: Black Cauldron.jpg (139KB, 637x943px) Image search: [Google]
Black Cauldron.jpg
139KB, 637x943px
>>71144223
Disney should have learned from the 80s that it sucks at "dark" animated movies.
>>
File: The_Horned_King_by_syrusb.jpg (144KB, 800x509px) Image search: [Google]
The_Horned_King_by_syrusb.jpg
144KB, 800x509px
>>71144927
Hey, The Horned King was bretty gud.
>>
File: Yourfault.jpg (9KB, 260x200px) Image search: [Google]
Yourfault.jpg
9KB, 260x200px
>>
Hercules was popular enough that they gave it a cartoon. Did autistic Greek myth fags trick you into thinking it was a failure?
>>
>>71145052
He just doesn't remember because he wasn't born yet.
Also, Meg didn't become part of Disney's princess lineup, so it tends to lose ground to the Disney Merchandising machine.
Still, Tiana joined the princess lineup, but that was a bit of Affirmative Action of Disney's part.
>>
>>71139955
>>71139982
This. You may think that the entertainment industry is there to create artistic content but that's not true.
The execs simply use the art as a means to make money. They don't care about the product at all, they wouldn't care if they were peddling baked beans under the same brand name as long as it made them cash.
>>
I used to like it when I was a kid. Nowadays I can understand why Disney tries to ignore this movie
>>
>>71139890
Simba being white was true, but IIRC the only person who thought it was Kimba was Matthew Broderick, and even he just said something like "i thought it was an adaptation of that cartoon I watched as a kid."

The fact that he couldn't even remember the name kind of implies that they were never actually calling it/planning for it to be Kimba.

I honestly give Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one case.
>>
File: michael-bay-at-work1.jpg (31KB, 425x318px) Image search: [Google]
michael-bay-at-work1.jpg
31KB, 425x318px
>>71145179
This is the exact reason Micheal Bay continues to get work.
It's fun to make fun of him for making his retarded explosionfests but from a business standpoint, he's a good investment. Since his retarded explosionfests tend to make more money corresponding to how retardedly things explosion.
>>
It didn't translate very well into an experience that is easy to market. Sci-fi adventure does seem to have trouble attracting an audience when you think about it (Atlantis, Titan AE, Treasure Planet)
>>
>>71145262
It didn't help that the late 90s, early 2000s were a dark age of animated movies. All the ones that tried to incorporate CGI into the 2D did pretty abysmal.
>>
>>71145253
Unfortunately it also explains those godawful 'Epic Movie' parodies.
As they were made on a shoestring it doesn't need a lot of exposure to become profitable. So they just make more and more until the well runs dry.
>>
>>71140286
At least Kida wasn't an insufferable bitch like Nadia. I dropped that show after two episodes because of her.
>>
You want to talk about forgotten Disney films? Okay.
>>
>>71140286

Nadia and Atlantis are only alike in superficial ways that do not matter. Oh no, crystals!?! Hahaha, just about all New Age goofiness about Atlantis has them involved with crystals -- Christ, there was an episode or two of the live-action Hercules Legendary Journeys that had Atlantis using magic crystals to run everything from laser-staffs to microwave ovens, four years before Disney's Atlantis was released.

Exotic princesses are a staple of Victorian/Edwardian fiction, just as thoughtful, non-brawny, scientific heroes are.
>>
>>71146447
Keep trying to apologize for Disney's plagiarism. There's lots of good reasons they still refuse to acknowledge it.
>>
>>71146679
>There's lots of good reasons they still refuse to acknowledge it.

Such as #1: It's not true.
>>
>>71146715
Aw, keep lying like that. It's cute how you keep making things up.
>>
>brave little toaster was a disney movie

Holy fuck what?
>>
>>71146749

You're silly. How is Atlantis like Nadia, in all but the most superficial ways, that can easily (and more appropriately) be attributed to the tropes of the literary genre that both borrow everything from? Not to mention wacky modern socio-psychological trends in Pop Theology?

Up to this point, I only thought that you were merely wrong. Know I know that you're a top-notch fabulist.
>>
>>71146946
Atlantis borrows nothing from classic literature. Stop telling that lie. Its story is beat-for-beat ripped off of Stargate.
>>
>>71146981

You almost had me for a second.
>>
It's not little girl oriented enough.
>>
>>71147049
You've got too much Eisner spunk on your face. Not worth the effort.
>>
>>71147102

Wait, I didn't get it all off? Damn, I thought all I had was Stan Lee jizz left.
>>
I recently discovered Treasure Planet and decided to check it out. It was absolutely amazing. The animation style was beautiful, the characters were all really fun, the designs for characters and ships were amazing(Long John Silver was particularly cool looking) and it was overall really enjoyable. It's definitely made a place in my Top 5 animated films.

One Disney film I'm kind of sad never gets attention anywhere is Brother Bear. In fact, I looked up reviews of the film from when it came out saw some reviewer criticize its animation.
>>
>>71139890
Other than a few basic similarities, Kimba and TLK are nothing alike.
>>
I have just watched Atlantis few days ago and I love it. While Treasure Planet has superbly done animation I did think something was missing from it because I could not find it as awesome as Tarzan, Atlantis and Hunchback of Notre Dame.
>>
>>71147334
I actually quite like Brother Bear.
Granted, I watched it dubbed, so I did not have to listen to the Phil Collins OST, which is what I've seen brought up most often as a reason for why anons on /co/ dislike the movie.
>>
>>71149678
I don't understand why. I just rewatched the film last weekend and I didn't have a problem with the Phil Collins songs.
>>
>>71140602
Mine too
>>
>>71139678

It didn't do very well at the box office and it didn't sell much merchandise. That's all Disney really cares about.
>>
>>71139639
Hercules wasn't a failure. With PATF, even though it didn't do as well at the box office as Disney had hoped, it still got a decent amount of attention for having a black princess and it gave them a new face to add to their princess merchandising lineup.
>>
File: hellboy_sod_nazis.jpg (35KB, 651x237px) Image search: [Google]
hellboy_sod_nazis.jpg
35KB, 651x237px
>>71152980
They were going to an animated series, but Mignola wanted to go to some dark places with it. Nazi dark.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.