[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The beef in my chili is dried out. Anything I can do to rehydrate it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: chili-recipe-5.jpg (107KB, 599x397px) Image search: [Google]
chili-recipe-5.jpg
107KB, 599x397px
The beef in my chili is dried out. Anything I can do to rehydrate it?
>>
do you own a beef hydrator by chance?
>>
Add some liquid.
>>
>>9435440

I have but it isn't exactly soaking it up.. Was just curious if there were any tricks or not
>>
File: 12JPCHILI2-articleLarge[1].jpg (128KB, 600x837px) Image search: [Google]
12JPCHILI2-articleLarge[1].jpg
128KB, 600x837px
>>9435459
It's not really supposed to soak it up. It's supposed to reduce and thicken in order to coat it. What liquid have you added?
>>
>>9435423
how does this even happen? what do you mean?
>>
>>9435423
Put it in a big pot of beans and onions. Let it soak over low heat for 1 hour. Get a big strainer and poor the mix through untill you only have meat. Repeat untill hydrated to your satisfaction.
>>
>>9435477

I browned the meat on too high of a heat and steamed out all the moisture
>>
>>9435470

I've added a can of beer and some liquid off some diced tomatoes
>>
>>9435423
Nothing, don't use low grade beef.
>>
Beef stock, flour and butter. Bout the only thing that'll save it now.
>>
Add a can of beer
>>
>>9435495
Noooo. You browned it on too low of heat and have no sear! Sear it hard, make sure the pan is smoking hot and don't put to much in the pan. The sear is what locks in moisture...
>>
>>9435495
>>9436889
Oh and use nothing leaner than 80/20
>>
>>9436890
>>>9435495
>>>9436889
>Oh and use nothing leaner than 80/20

This

The only time I've ever had this happen was useing 90% lean beef. It gets dry and crumbly every time.
Also has no flavor.
>>
>>9435423
Cook 3 trips of bacon slowly to render the fat off. Eat the cracklings or throw them in the chili.. Now heat that pan up hot, like smoking hot. Flash fry your garbage 90/10 beef in that till it starts to SEAR, key word SEAR. Give that shit a quick flip before removing it from the pan to make sure some porkfat soaks in as it cools.

I'd say use the beef fat you discarded from browning the burger but it's clear from your pic that there was none to start with.
>>
>>9436889
>The sear is what locks in moisture
>>
>>9436889
Mom science!
The only thing that matters with meat is salt content and temperature. Do you really think searing creates a waterproof coating like a fucking latex condom?
Brining can help retain moisture, although you generally do not brine beef.
If you want your ground beef to be "browned" then refer to your handy steak doneness chart you see posted every day here. Once your beef reaches about 140 F it will be all brown, and you should stop.
>>
>>9436999
In spite of your trips you have failed to produce an argument that convinces me to dismiss my experiences flash frying vs mid temp browning of meats, ground or otherwise. If your pan is t hot enough, the water in the meat boils out into the pan. Prove wrong with an argument other than "that's mom science"
>>
>>9436889
>The sear is what locks in moisture...
Boomer spotted.
>>
>>9437215
All the boomers I know cook 90/10 and it looks like op pic. Im 35
>>
>>9436952
>>9437215
Look I know that the "sear" on the outside of a cut of meat might not actually do anything to create an impenetrable barrier. (Although I have not seen any actual argument that says something chemically with lipids and such isn't happening in the sear that does just that). It remains that higher fat and higher temp cooks create a "moister" end product. Basically you can achieve mid rare mini meatballs with pleasing flavor of mallard reactions on the surface. Go ahead, boil your ground in its own water. I don't fucking care.
>>
>>9437286
Sear using very high heat has two purposes. First, you get that brown crust, grill marks, and Maillard reaction which simply looks and tastes good.
Second, a very high heat means you meat will cook a nice crust very quickly, but the interior does not have time to overcook. So you can have a nicely browned meat that is still moist inside, because you remove it from the heat before it get dry. Seems counter intuitive, but high heat encourages you to stop the cooking before the juicy center goes too far.
>>
>>9437348
>So you can have a nicely browned meat that is still moist inside, because you remove it from the heat before it get dry

That's all well and good for a steak or a roast but it's not relevant at all for a braised dish, like chili or a stew.
>>
>>9437359
Well for something like chili, you want to "overcook" the meat. It will be tender as it reaches the sweet spot of 135 - 145 F, then it will get tough and dry as it approaches the boiling point. But after an hour or more, it becomes tender again because its really broken down by then.
Also dont forget there are other tricks to tenderize what is generally tough stew meat like what is used in chili. Beat the shit out of it with a knurled mallet. Pierce it with a thousand needles as in "cube steak". Or pre-treat it with baking soda or an enzyme based meat tenderizer to change the meat's structure.
There's really no excuse to have dry or tough meat.
>>
>>9437451
>it becomes tender again because its really broken down by then.
Yes, that was my point.

>>Also dont forget there are other tricks to tenderize what is generally tough stew meat like what is used in chili
You don't need any "tricks". You just stew it for a long time.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.