[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

homegrown apples

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: images (5).jpg (13KB, 264x163px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
13KB, 264x163px
I have a young apple tree in my back garden, and it produced quite a lot of fruit this year. usually the apple are very tart like cooking apple, but in the last two years they've begun to take on a noticable sweetness. The question is, what do I do with them? I was considering slicing them up into a mason jar with some gin and making an apple infusion any other ideas?
>>
>>9430777
>apple pie
>tart tatin
>red cabbage with some apple slices, great with game dishes
>peal them, quarter em and cook them in with red wine and sugar, again great addition to game dishes. Tastes better with pears but apples work as well
For the not so nice ones:
>apple marmalade
>applesauce
>squish into a jar of home made cider
>>
>>9430904
thanks for the suggestions, I only have about 14 good sized decent apples, and about 20 something shitty ones with brownish patches and bruises (I don't bother using pesticides) I'nm curious about the red cabbage Idea, I heard it's nice with duck, so I might try that
>>
I'll add apple butter to the previous suggestions. Apples go well with pork also, I've done apples with both roasted loin and made a pan sauce with apples for chops.
>>
You can also dehydrate them.
>>
>>9430937
Came to add this.

All those brown apples go here.
>>
Cider obviously,
>>
>>9430931
It is awesome with duck or most stews and quiet easy to do. You need:
>1kg red cabbage
>pork/goose dripping
>1 larger onion
>2 apples
>1 soup spoon of sugar
>2 soup spoon of vinegar
>1/4l of water
>some salt to taste
>1 bayleaf
>2 dried cloves
>some flour to thicken it
>4-5 soup spoons of red wine

Now we make shit
>clean and wash the cabbage, remove the fist two leaf layers ,quarter it and remove the stem and slice/cut into fine strips
>heat a pot with the dripping and add onions, sugar, the sliced apple and braise all of it lightly
>add sliced cabbage and immediately after that add the vinegar, cover the pan and let it steam slightly for about 10min
>add the water and the spices and let all of it steam slightly for about 35min, if needed add some more water
>mix some flour with water to thicken it, add red wine to taste

Eat it or let it cool out over night and put it into some preserving jars to cook in that you can usually keep for up to 1 year.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.