[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STEAMING THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Steamer - Stainless Steel.jpg (315KB, 1038x804px) Image search: [Google]
Steamer - Stainless Steel.jpg
315KB, 1038x804px
I've been fighting with and repairing bamboo steamers all my life. They cost about $20 in my area and I repair them twice a year and replace them once a year. Time to move on up. I just bought one of these.

FYI, bamboo steamers are easy to repair with some 2-part epoxy, toothpicks, and bamboo skewers. I just drill holes for the skewers and toothpicks, fill them with epoxy, and insert the skewers and toothpicks. I find it is best to do this before you even use the bamboo steamer the first time instead of for repair. They last 4-5 times longer than normal with hard use.

Do you have any tips for steamers, /ck/?
>>
File: serveimage (8).jpg (7KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (8).jpg
7KB, 300x199px
>>9404979
I like making steamed Japanese purin.
>>
>>9404983
PUDI PUDI
>>
>>9404983
Thanks for reminding me about all those no-bake, no-steam "Mushi" purin recipes online. I've been meaning to try this one,

https://www.justonecookbook.com/custard-pudding/
>>
>>9404979
What are the advantages of bamboo steamers? $20 for something that lasts a year sounds rather expensive.

I got a stainless one 15 years ago and it is still serving me well. The one in your picture looks nicer though, mine only has one floor.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 700x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 700x514px
>>9405021
>$20 for something that lasts a year sounds rather expensive.

Sounds cheap to me...
>>
File: IMG_6174.jpg (285KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6174.jpg
285KB, 1600x1200px
>>9405050
Just wait until you get the medical bills.
>>
>>9405021
There are no advantages. It is expensive, for what little you get. The German one in the OP costs about $180 here and you can will it to your children. The bamboo ones fall apart due to swelling during extended use. The bamboo ones also start to stink when they become fully saturated with steam and appear dark. They are also more difficult to clean.
>>
>>9404979
I've got a couple pots that came with steamers like that and I think they're great. I use them for re-heating foods, veggies, and things like tamales.
>>
>>9405348
Vegetables are what gets me. I HATE boiled veg, I don't particularly like sauteed veg, raw veg is a fucking joke. But STEAMED veg, that's where it's fucking at. That's the best. Doesn't need anything on it at all.
>>
>>9405356
True. I just tried brussel sprouts like some anon did a while ago here. Slicing them up small and frying them with some lemon and paprika. Wasn't bad, but I wasn't blown away either.

Now when I steam them however, I eat them like candy, as they are, with nothing added.
>>
>>9405238
Don't know if you don't mind getting some Ikea stuff, but I got one of those oumbarligs with a steamer insert. It's relatively small, but you can add more inserts and it's only $34 and it will definitely last a while.
>>
File: Eggs Forrest.jpg (273KB, 1080x718px) Image search: [Google]
Eggs Forrest.jpg
273KB, 1080x718px
>>9405356
The other thing I use my steamer for is eggs. I'll slap some butter in a ramkin, drop in an egg, and after 3:45 seconds you get a perfectly formed and well cooked egg with a slightly runny yoke that's perfect for eggs Forrest, or whatever.

Much easier than poaching them in water.
>>
>>9405559
I just put in an egg, still in the shell, and steam them that way.
>>
>>9405388
Red cabbage was the one I was most surprised with. I now use it as the tray/bowl to hold the food to be steamed because eating it is so delicious.
>>
>>9405559
That looks tasty as fuck /ck/onfederatebro. WTF is Eggs Forrest exactly?
>>
>>9406882
>WTF is Eggs Forrest exactly?

2 steamed eggs resting on bacon, cornbread, and topped with white pan gravy, fresh green onion, and served with fresh sliced tomato.
>>
>>9404979
>Exposing epoxy to high temperatures around your food

u habe de cancer b0ss
>>
>>9407075
>food safe epoxy

The bad part is while they are curing. Once cured, they are fine, especially for steaming, since it never touches the food.
>>
>>9407067
Oh now I see the cornbread.
>>
>>9404985
https://youtu.be/L-WzGFVJ24A
those were the fucking days
>>
Anyone else use their steamer to reheat foods?
I mean stews, soups, spaghetti, etc, not pizza or anything like that.
>>
>>9405559
Oh shit son, I steam my eggs instead of boiling but I haven't thought of doing something like this. That looks great. I have a microwave "poacher" but it's fucking garbage, the eggs never turn out quite right and I haven't tried traditional method(s) yet. This looks neat.

Steam is def the way to go for me; I get eggs at the exact doneness I want, every time. And they peel so easily too.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.