[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

macaroni and cheese help?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: macandcheese.jpg (107KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
macandcheese.jpg
107KB, 500x333px
Holidays are coming up and I want to make mac and cheese from scratch and need some cheese suggestions other than cheddar since thats my first choice anyway. I know it needs cheddar for it to have that classic mac and cheese taste but what about the creamy part?

I've seen "good melting" cheeses like muenster, fontina, gruyre, havarti, and gouda advertised as providing the creamy texture without resorting to velveeta. Others like cream cheese and small curd or creamy cottage cheese are soupposed to do the same but as fresh cheeses. Anyone ever used any of these before with success?

Do mustard powder and nutmeg really make a difference or can you get away with seasoned salt? Is a bechamel sauce really worth it? Any major do's and dont's for your favorite recipe/cheese blend?
>>
boil your noodles and remove from water when theyre slightly hard

preheat oven to 350

cook milk and butter to a boil and then stir a lot while it boils for about 3 minutes

put cheese crumbs on top of the pasta

pour the milk/butter mix over it

bake in oven on 350 for 1 hour
>>
It's all about your sauce OP

for 1lb of pasta, I reccomend 3 to 4 cups of milk, depending on how much sauce you want.

2tbsp of butter & 2tbsp flour for each cup.

Microwave the milk, 1 minute for each cup.

Cook roux until it just starts to change color.

Add the warm milk to the roux. You could add cold milk, but you'll be stirring for a lot longer.

Once milk has started to bubble, stir for two minutes to allow gluten molocules in flour to unfold and thicken the sauce

Add cheese. Any will work, this sauce can be used with parmesan to make alfredo. Add chease until it tastes sufficient, a little salt can let you use less cheese. Season.

If you plan on using paprika or turmeric to color the sauce, make sure you add it during the roux cooking phase, otherwise the pigments won't leech out of the spices properly.
>>
>>9403684
>A sweet aged: gouda, comte, Sao Jorge
>A sharp aged: you like cheddar so go with a nice long aged type preferably grass fed etc.
>A soft cheese for creaminess: a Camembert adds a pleasant tartness, a washed rind adds a nutty, salty pungency
I'm not going to tell you how to roux but for the love of God don't skimp on the quality of cheese. Keep the rinds so you can grate them over the top before you pop it in the oven.
>>
>>9403684
I put brie in my mac and cheese once and it was SO GOOD, but you should try the cheese first as it has a really distinct taste. not as the main cheese though.
>>
File: macncheese.jpg (722KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
macncheese.jpg
722KB, 2400x2400px
Just stick this shit in the microwave for 2 minutes.

Classic recipe.
>>
>>9403691
Very basic but it works, I've done this before to vastly improve boxed mac
>>
You're welcome.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html
>>
anyone who says to make a roux/white sauce first is retarded, just pour some milk in the pasta and melt the cheese directly into it

havarti is pretty good
>>
>>9403684
>Holidays are coming up
Holidays for me start the last day of September,so you better get a decent recipe soon.
>>
>>9403956
Kraft?
>>
>>9403684
>Is a bechamel sauce really worth it?
Don't do it

Just add your seasoning salt and bacon, smoked gouda, butter and heavy cream to your cheddar.
don't forget to salt your pasta water. and don't bake it, unless you want overcooked pasta
>>
File: maccheroni-rigati.jpg (30KB, 585x390px) Image search: [Google]
maccheroni-rigati.jpg
30KB, 585x390px
Have you actually ever seen true maccheroni?
>>
>>9403983
Eggs or no? Ive seen this method both ways and I'm assuming the eggs are for a binder but not sure if that would be needed if i have so much cheese to make the noodles stick together.
>>
>>9403784
Ill have to find the sao jorge to try it but i have a well stocked store nearby so ill be able to find it. Didnt know about grating the rinds over it though so ill try that. I didnt know what else to do with them so they probably would have just gotten tossed thanks man.
>>
File: beenleigh-blue-pasta-08-1000.jpg (76KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
beenleigh-blue-pasta-08-1000.jpg
76KB, 1000x664px
>>9403684
>Anyone ever used any of these before with success?
Yes. Equal parts cheddar, monteray jack, fontina (not aged).

>Do mustard powder and nutmeg really make a difference or can you get away with seasoned salt?
I understand the idea, but you can skip both.

Is a bechamel sauce really worth it?
No.

>Any major do's and dont's for your favorite recipe/cheese blend?
Yes, don't use bechamel. Don't use a roux. Don't use milk. These are just ways to make it on the cheap.
Take heavy cream and heat it.
Add grated cheese.
When it's melted, add cooked pasta.
Heat through.
Put in oven safe dish.
Add breadcrumbs to top.
Broil until golden on top.
>>
>>9403684
>Is a bechamel sauce really worth it?

It all depends on the type of mac n' cheese you like. If you like a lighter and more delicate style, than the bechamel is the way to go. However, if you like the more diabetes style, than use of a bechamel is moot.

IMO, the perfect mac n' cheese is not too heavy, yet still flavorful.

Try this:

Pre-heat oven to 350.
Boil your mac.
In a pan make a roux with equal parts flour and milk (can be lower fat variety milk too).
Season your bechamel with salt, black pepper, and a LIBERAL amount of nutmeg, and allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes, ensuring that it's not too thick or thin.
Pour cooked pasta in a bowl and mix in bechamel.
Butter a casserole pan and put in a thin layer of the sauced pasta.
Cover this layer with shredded French Gruyere cheese.
Add another layer of sauced pasta.
Cover this layer with shredded cheddar cheese of your choice.
Add the final layer of pasta and cover with a combination of the Gruyere and cheddar cheese.
Bake in ove until top is golden brown.
Rest until cool enough to serve.
Enjoy.

Try this once, and you'll love it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.