[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Victorinox Fibrox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Fibrox.jpg (80KB, 2000x1234px) Image search: [Google]
Fibrox.jpg
80KB, 2000x1234px
Why so much hate against Victorinox Fibrox on /ck/?

I frequently see /ck/ users recommending knives like Mercer Millennia over Fibrox with the main reasoning being "it's not the ATK meme knife" when Mercer Millennia can't hold an edge for shit, and it is itself a meme knife being pushed by culinary schools (Mercer marketing reps pay schools to include Mercer knives in the "you have to get these to attend class" shopping list).

Is /ck/ so contrarian they will deliberately recommend something that's inferior and almost as expensive just because it's not the most popular product?
>>
>>9395849
I use Kiwi.
>>
>>9395849
>why is ck retarded
Who knows. But it sure does seem knife threads bring out the autism.
>>
I stole one from work

Pretty good for chopping up my tendies.
>>
>>9395849
the HDPE handle is not HD enough and so it eventually becomes loose
stainless doesn't hold an edge (because how could it?)
other than that, great knives
by which I mean, if you're a pro and someone sharpens all the knives in the kitchen every week for you, then victorinox is a decent, inexpensive choice.
don't leave them near anything hot either, the handle might melt
>>
>>9395849
>$40

You might as well get a Tojiro DP at that price point.
>>
>>9395849
>hate
it's literally /ck/'s meme knife, maybe you're just too new
>>
>>9395849
>Why so much hate against Victorinox Fibrox on /ck/?

I haven't seen any "hate" against it. I think it's a great beginner knife.

That said, I think there are other identical knives which happen to cost less because they don't have the hype surrounding them that the Fibrox does. For example, ones from Dexter-Russel, Bakers and Chefs, and many other foodservice brands.

This confusion results from people being stupid. The original recommendation which started the trend of recommending these knives stated to get a foodservice brand such as the Fibrox. Dimwits missed the "foodservice brand part" and instead fixated specifically in the Fibrox. It's not a bad knife, it's just that there are others that do the same and cost less these days.
>>
>>9395849
how many times is the steel folded?
>>
>>9396194
How bad are we talking about?
>>
>>9398730
That guy is overracting like mad.

Knives like the Fibrox are meant for service in a commercial kitchen. They are about as tough as they get. They're designed to survive being dropped, stepped on, taken multiple trips through the industrial-grade super hot dishwasher, and so on.

I own one. I bought it in 1999 and used it to learn cooking with. After 6 or 7 years I upgraded to a better knife, but I still keep that one around whenever I'm cooking with other people I don't trust with my good knife. I use it for cookouts, camping, and all sorts of other abusive tasks. I've pried with it, used it to cut open boxes and cans, you name it. It's been in the dishwasher countless times. Abused by cutting against ceramic plates. It's still perfectly serviceable, no problems at all with the handle.

Sure, it doesn't hold an edge as well (or resharpen as easily) as a more expensive knife, but what do you expect given the price point? That's like bitching that a $30k Toyota doesn't handle as well or isn't as fast as a $150k Porsche.

Those knives can handle a fuckload of abuse. Much more so than most higher end knives. It's perfect for beginner cooks.

>>9397984
this too.
>>
>>9398006
Never. It's a stamped blade knife.
>>
>>9397984
Actually, it got hyped by America's Test Kitchen and has been popular ever since.
>>
>>9395849
I've got 2 Victorinox chef's knives and a Zwilling, and they all get substantial use. The major difference is in the heft - Victorinox blades are thin so you don't get quite so much momentum when cutting and they require a bit more frequent honing, but that's something you encounter with any less expensive knife.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.