[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make fried rice like the Chinese food restaurant?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 201108171838199.jpg (111KB, 620x420px) Image search: [Google]
201108171838199.jpg
111KB, 620x420px
How do you make fried rice like the Chinese food restaurant?
I tried making some fried rice last year from a recipe online and it tasted terrible not like the Chinese food at all.
I would normally blame my cooking skill but I think it was the recipe because all the recipes online that you get ask you to put a bunch of soy sauce and eggs in the fried rice and I'm pretty sure that is not how its made. I have never seen any fried rice with eggs in it at any Chinese food store!! And Soy Sauce is always optional, the rice has flavor without it. It is supposed to look like the OP pic, I want to know how to make it authentic to the actual resturant.
I asked a Chinese friend whose parents run a resturant how they get it yellow and he said that it's a sauce they pour in and not to wake him at 3 in the morning for that also but he said he didn't know anymore about how its made. Why is this kept so secret?
Also I want to know how the chicken and lo mein is made typo but I don't trust any online recipes anymore after all the nonsense they told me about the fried rice, I can't believe it was a sauce. I don't even know what's in the sauce.
>>
File: 01480387426.jpg (110KB, 619x465px) Image search: [Google]
01480387426.jpg
110KB, 619x465px
This is what the recipes tell you to make. As you can see it's quite different.
>>
Post the recipe you used so we can see where you're going wrong.

Leftover, dry, rinsed, medium grain rice is what you need. Having an extremely hot wok (which is difficult to achieve at home) is also important

>And Soy Sauce is always optional
necessary imo

>how to get it yellow
I have no idea. Are you sure you're not ordering curry fried rice?
>>
>>9393298
I think they use fish sauce + hoisin not soy sauce
>>
There are two different fried rices. 炒飯 is chinese fried rice like your recipe. 焼飯 is chinese takeout fried rice derived from japan chinese takeout fried rice derived eventually from 炒飯, so many restaurants still call it 炒飯 (the two are pronounced the same too).

炒飯 fries the egg first, then seasons lightly with soy and relies upon aromatics like ginger and scallion or barbecued meats for much of its flavor.

焼飯 adds the egg after the rice and uses oyster sauce and/or chicken stock (or sometimes just incorporates the egg in the sauce), which is why you get an even yellow or tan coating rather than chunks of omelet.
>>
>>9393409
er, oyster, hoisin, and/or soy. hoisin is an option for 焼飯 too.
>>
>>9393298
That pic looks like golden fried rice.
>>9393302
That pic looks like the typical fried rice most people order.

Here's a recipe for golden fried rice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNE2PMdr7hg
>>
>>9393424
Its nasi kuning. What the fuck is a golden rice.
>>
rice, egg, soy sauce, vegetables and a fuckton of msg

wa la!
>>
>>9393298
Here's my method:
-cook rice in rice cooker. When it's done spread it out on baking sheet so it can dry off a little. (or use any leftover day-old rice you might have)
-lard in the work. Fry a little garlic and doubanjiang. When that's aromatic I put the rice in and toss it. I add whatever leftover veggies, etc, that I have on hand. Maybe some chopped green onions right at the end. Perhaps add a splash of soy sauce but usually not.

I only ever make fried rice as a lazy meal to bulk up leftovers. I don't take it too seriously, just the standard stir-fry method of aromatics first, food 2nd.
>>
>>9393298
>how they get it yellow
I've never seen yellow fried rice at a Chinese place, but I have seen it in other countries food. In those cases it's saffron, turmeric, or "mexican saffron" aka safflower. None of those ingredients are "Chinese" though. Perhaps it's a small amount of dark soy sauce? That can be a rather potent coloring agent.

>>9393302
That one clearly is colored by soy sauce.
>>
>>9393434
It's golden fried rice. What the fuck is a nasi kuning.
>>
Half-chink here.

Your pic is not truly Chinese, it's more of some sort of Westernized Chinese cuisine with some South East Asian influence. The yellow in Asian restaurants is mostly curry or curcuma power.

There's "chaofan" which is fried rice and "banfan" which is basically mixing hot rice with ingredients.

Restaurants use a fuckton of oil and msg, that's probably why it's not as "shiny" and tasty as home. However it's not impossible to make something nice.

This here >>9393302 is what's more typically Chinese, at least by the looks.
So make up your mind. If you want to have yellow rice, just add a fuckton of oil with curcuma or yellow curry (and I doubt Chinese restaurants use saffron, it doesn't even smell like saffron anyway), bit of msg and there you go. And yeah don't let that sit in the pan/wok for too long, we're not making rice cakes.
>>
>>9393298
That color is produced with the use of Tumeric.
>>
>>9393302
The trick is not to give a shit about your health vecause the dont either. So, lots of oil on high heat, salt and msg. Maybe some sugar.
>>
>>9393485
>Half-chink
You're not truly chinese, you're more some sort of westernized chinese
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.