[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bitter Stew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Over the weekend I bought a massive haul of fruit and vegetables (pic related cost me just $14 USD). Thought I'd be clever and make a massive vegetable stew. I usually throw some meat or bacon bones in the mix, but this week I didn't feel like going shopping. The concoction turned out edible but disappointingly bitter, and I have no idea why. It tastes like rocks and cough medicine.

Here's what I used:
>1/2 can tomatoes
>2 carrots
>1/2 cup cauliflower
>1.5 onions
>1 leek
>2 sticks celery
>3 mushrooms
>5 green beans, chopped
>salt and pepper
>2 sprigs each of rosemary and thyme
>cumin powder
>cayenne pepper
>curry powder

After I tasted it and realised how bitter it was, I added several spoons of sugar, more salt, and two chicken stock cubes. This didn't help at all. I'm not a fussy person when it comes to bitter taste, but this was overwhelming all the other flavours. It's a complete mystery to me where the taste came from.

Anyway, I haven't given up on making stews and I'm willing to try again next week. If you have any soup/stew recipes, post em here.

I also bake my own bread while the slow cooker is going, it makes an excellent accompaniment to my stews.
>>
*kisses fingers
magnifique
>>
Those are Death's Head mushrooms anon. It's been nice knowing you.
>>
>>9388912
Maybe you should've looked up an actual recipe and followed it instead of just throwing all that stuff together like an autist.
>>
>>9388912
>It's a complete mystery to me where the taste came from.

Stop stewing cauliflower you idiot.
>>
There's literally nothing that you put in that soup to cause it to be bitter. I think you're confusing the term "bitter" for "savory."
>>
>>9388954
1/2 cup of cauliflower will not make the soup bitter, autist.
>>
>>9388912
Boiling woody herbs too hard can bring out their bitterness. Doesn't help that you used a little too much anyway. They also lose that bitterness more easily and become more aromatic in the presence of warm fat, of which you had less, in the absence of meat.

Combine that with the fact that you used a lot of bitter earthy greens anyway, and I can see why it wouldn't taste great. Try lighter herbs like basil, coriander, oregano, parsley for vegetable soup, and add them near the end.
>>
>>9388912
Leave out the celery and rosemary and you're close to a Caribbean style curry. No idea where the bitterness came from. Sometimes celery can be bitter. I would recommend sauteing the onion and leek for a while on their own before adding everything else - the longer they go (without burning) the sweeter they get. Also go light on the cumin, it can dominate everything.
>>
>>9388961
unless he didn't peel the mandarins :)
>>
>>9388912
Throw in some potatoes next time. A little starch goes a long way.
>>
>>9388912
>5 green beans, chopped

The more you cook these the more of it will turn into bitter compounds.

It is the same thing that happens to stuff like asparagus, brussels sprouts, and broccoli. Lightly cooked (steamed) they are great and oftentimes a little sweat. Anything past that point and they only get more and more bitter. Hence the problem with children eating them, their parents simply don't know how to properly cook the food without overcooking it. Green beans are no exception, but usually not nearly as bad as the previously mentioned things.
>>
>>9388912
The seasoning combo sounds a little off to me, honestly, so that's likely where the "cough syrup" flavor came from. Cumin/Rosemary just seems gross, but take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am asian. 90% of my food is made with soy sauce and rice wine.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.