[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bartending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: bartender-1.jpg (71KB, 774x515px) Image search: [Google]
bartender-1.jpg
71KB, 774x515px
How pointless is doing a Bartenders degree/course at an early age? (age 19-25) ive heard people saying its not really a carreer and not something to focus on.

So how useless is being a qualified bartender? rate on a scale from 1-10 (1 being the equivalent of doing a course in womens studies)
>>
>you need to pay for a license to pour beer and mix liquor
Jesus, government must be desperate for cash and bartenders must be desperate to keep out competition because their job is 10% skill 90% being social
>>
1, however if you had to ask you must be retarded..... Do it.
>>
Yes, And considering the stigma of only good looking bartenders existing, rather exclusive to the more semetrical faced people
>>
OP here, So bartending is profitable?
>>
>>9387615
taking a course is retarded and nobody in the industry will respect you for it
just start as a barback with a promise to train as a bartender
>>
>>9387650
I worked as a bartender in vegas for a while. It's union there so I made $17 an hour plus tips. On a good night I could walk out with 800-1000 dollars in tips alone. Other places I didn't make as much but it's always a lot of money for not much work.
>>
>>9387650
>>9387947
This is the exact amount where it'll be way more money than you're used to right out of college and will allow you to party and drink whenever you want, but will not be enough to do anything else you'd want to do as an adult
>>
>>9387615

>Bartenders
>Degree

Wew
>>
File: 124135243.jpg (139KB, 741x553px) Image search: [Google]
124135243.jpg
139KB, 741x553px
>>9387984
>not having a PhD in mixology
>>
>>9387635
>their job is 10% skill 90% being social
>tfw nobody here is a qualified bartender 90% of the time
>>
>>9387615
I've been bartending for about 4 years now. Used to do it after my shifts at school as a substitute teacher, but now I do it full time. If you live in a small town like I did, I started as a barback in a social club for a couple months, they needed another bartender, and I filled the position. Now I work at a much nicer place at a slightly larger town, so I make a livable amount of money.

My advice? Start small, get experience, move up gradually. Most courses are absolute wastes of money that essentially just drill 100 mixed drinks into your brain that you'll almost never need. Know your basic cocktails, learn the terminology, figure out what you can about beer, and keep at it. Experience speaks larger than "credentials" in this business.
>>
I hate having to tip bartenders. Tucking useless just being me a beer and shut up
>>
>>9388102
I'm six months new to bartending, but have experience in sales and teaching. People enjoy tipping me because of how good I help them feel. Even asshole customers. Unless you've got some severe emotional disorder, you'd probably want to tip me too.
>>
>>9387615
basically this >>9387677
I can tell you that most of the bar owners prefer an unexperienced apprentice to be trained than a pretencious "huhh I've a 3 weeks/1500$ degree in mixology so you not telling me what I must do and must not".
but consider this, there are also good barman/mixology courses mostly consisting in provide the bases to young people that want to open a bar for their own and to young people that want move their first step as barman. in this way peoples can establish contacts like "hey, I'm starting my own business and I'm looking for a youns bartender" or "hey, I've noticed that you're going to open a new activity, do you need an apprentice?". This is basically the only reason why you might want to consider a barman course.
>>
>>9388457
Why would I want to tip you? You are doing a job you should. E paid a wage for. It's not my job to supplement the restaurants staff salary
>>
>>9387947
>17 an hour plus tips
I'm never tipping a bartender again
>>
>>9388876
Why should you? The only thing that's going to happen is some angry 25 year old single mother is going to make a snarky comment on Facebook about how if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out.
>>
>>9388876
We don't all make that kind of money. In PA, I make waiter wage at about $2 an hour. Granted, if I don't make actual minimum wage (around $7 an hour), my employer has to match that. It's never come to that for me, but I know some people who just can't make a buck in the business.

Still, if I made JUST $17 per hour with no tip, with my 50 hour weeks? I'd probably be okay with that. That's a good chunk of money where I live.
>>
>>9388457
Are you a grill? Because if so, then you're probably right.
>>
>>9387615
There are still tons of people going to bars and drinking. You can make decent money at it. Just be aware that the restaurant economy is rolling over and dying, and you can expect to have fierce competition for the jobs as more and more desperate Gender Studies majors beg their friends to fire you and hire them so that they don't have to suck cocks at bus stations.
>>
Experience means 1000x more than your Bartender College diploma. Knowing the perfect pours and formulas for a library of obscure cocktails does not translate in any way to handling volume in a busy bar, cash/transactions management, or interacting with customers in a meaningful way.
>>
>>9388457
Here's a tip:
Get off your high horse.
>>
>>9388838
I'm in the US, so it's just a commonly accepted thing to do. And because really, in person I'm far more charming than you, or anyone else would expect. I have a knack for making people feel good about themselves. Combine that with liquoring you up, and you're going to leave happy.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.