[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best things to get at an asian grocery store?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 21

File: Untitled.png (1MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 800x600px
What's the best things to get at an asian grocery store?
>>
>>9385884
Green tea sweets and biscuits. I had a matcha green tea kitkat and that was great .
>>
azn veggies like baby bok choy
>>
>>9385892
I never know what to do with them
>>
>>9385884
Difficult to find ingredients like different miso, fresh noodles, curry mixes, weird snacks etc
>>
>>9385888
>green tea kitkat
Just buy white chocolate kit kat and save yourself some money
>>
Loose leaf tea covered in moon runes. In my experience they're actually decent quality unlike a lot of western brands (twinings) who just puts fannings into a tin
>>
Me and my friends used to go to Asian grocery stores and buy the nastiest shit we could find, then go to the parking and try all of it. I believe we puked once or twice. Times were simpler back then
>>
>>9386033
I think they're the same price
>>
>>9386056
there's lots of like ginseng roots and such, i wonder how people get use out of these
>>
>>9385884
fish
cooking ingridients
pasta
rice
>>
>>9386319

how do these places get away with selling fish for so cheap
>>
>>9386344

>Believing you're actually getting "fish"

Oh sweaty
>>
>>9386344
sometimes is unregulated or half rotten
If you are lucky enough to liv close to one and go there in the early morning you get to see the trucks deliver shitloads of fish and crabs
>>
>>9386368
i went to one today and i just saw them bring out a whole trash can full of giant crabs and put them into the tanks

surreal
>>
>>9386307
green tea is $8 for a 5 oz bag and you can get the white 8oz for $3
>>
File: green mango salad.jpg (53KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
green mango salad.jpg
53KB, 700x525px
>>9385884
>What's the best things to get at an asian grocery store?
any homemade kimchee someone on staff makes, especially scallion kimchee
any cold produce they have in cooler like long beans, lychee or longan, fresh banana leaves, keffir lime, homemade doughs or wrappers
unique vinegars or chili seasonings like filipino coconut vinegar, or chili paste that isn't garlic centered,
fried garlic or fried shallots in the big canister are good for topping soups and rice bowls
rice wrappers for summer rolls, other pastas that interest you like soba noodles
fruit jellies like lychee cups, boba balls for making bubble tea, powders for same like honeydew or jasmine tea "litchee tea" is pretty cheap in that red/gold canister if you like loose tea. It makes a great pitcher of iced tea for boba too
you might enjoy checking out an ice cream or popsicle selection for a good tropical flavor
sometimes there are interest chips like shrimp flavors or dried cuttle if that is your thing. occasionally that pine scented "pandanus" is there, or some weird sodas or drink mixes
any japanese or other candies that look yummy. Milkitea, Lion noisy, kasugai, any kind of kitkats
>>
>>9385884
Certain ingredients that are tougher to find, like uncommon spices or noodles. Sometimes I get a craving for a red bean bun or milk candies, though Asian sweets are very very sweet.
>>
Cheap soy sauce and sesame oil
Cheap buns and dumplings
Baby bok Choy
Good packs of ramen
Mochi
Won ton wrappers for making ravioli
>>
>>9386344
It's class 3 stuff. It looks weird and isn't pretty, but it's the same quality.
>>
>>9386415
in my experience they're not as sweet but they have more flavors as american stuff
>>
>>9385884
These dried mushrooms are great to have for soups and topping rice/couscous/other grains with them. I'm too lazy to find my camera, so I just scanned the bag.
>>
>>9385905
its hard to go wrong with stir frying them
>>
File: Scanned Document-1.jpg (805KB, 2521x3473px) Image search: [Google]
Scanned Document-1.jpg
805KB, 2521x3473px
>>9386470
Scanned again with a weight on top so it came out clearer.
>>
>>9385884
directions to mcdonalds
>>
>>9386691

how's Ohio
>>
>>9386415
these taste really wierd to me but i can quite put my finger on it
>>
File: puke.png (415KB, 596x490px) Image search: [Google]
puke.png
415KB, 596x490px
>>9386319
>fish
>at a Asian market
Miss me with this shit. I don't want slimy fish smelling like death and have cataracts.
>>
>>9385884
Shrimp Chips.
I got em in Philly Chinatown, shit was delicious.
Drinks Wise, what else but Ramune?
>>
I agree with dank produce(daikon, bean sprouts, bamboo, dragonfruit, rambutan), homemade kimchi for sure, chili oil, gyoza, awesome tea(i wont even start), dango or mochi, alcohol(nigori sake, plum wine, rice spirits), cool noodles(i like matcha soba, zaru soba or thai rice flake noodles), dank rice in bulk(jasmine, brown, bhasmati), dried lentils, miso paste, amazing selection of ramen, cool spices(turmeric, curry powders, cardamom)
>>
>>9386415
In my experience also asian sweets are much less sweet/indulgent than what is considered dessert in most western countries, adzuki bean and mugwort mochi, peanut snacks, ginger stuff, slightly sweetened glutinous rice in everything
>>
File: 1491277979267.gif (469KB, 512x807px) Image search: [Google]
1491277979267.gif
469KB, 512x807px
>>9386490

Lol why the fuck wouldn't you just take a photo of them?!?
>>
File: Snapchat-1731485739.jpg (241KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1731485739.jpg
241KB, 720x1280px
>>
dumplings, exotic produce, rice/beet noodles, various sauces and seasonings, seaweed, tea, etc
>>
File: IMG_20170715_201003.jpg (2MB, 3006x2786px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170715_201003.jpg
2MB, 3006x2786px
>>9385884
Stole these from my Chinese roommate since she would steal snacks from me behind me. Need to know what these are named, there pretty good. There were crackers with some seasoning on them, I'd say msg crackers. Help finding them?
>>
File: Agar-agar-candy[1].jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Agar-agar-candy[1].jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>9385884
these tasty cunts
>>
>>9387672
旺旺: "wangwang" ("prosperous")
仙貝: "Rice crackers"
坚持做好品质: "Upholding good quality"
非油炸: "Very deep fried"
>>
>>9386692
Great faggot
>>
File: scarecrow.jpg (3KB, 120x90px) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow.jpg
3KB, 120x90px
>>9387672
Probably some kind of rice cracker. Do they look like these? Its p good
>>
>>9387672
Those are rat poison tablets!
>>
File: blogger-image-393089643.jpg (39KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
blogger-image-393089643.jpg
39KB, 360x480px
>>9385884
Gotta be the ucc
>>
>>9385892
>baby bok choy
I love them
Why the fuck don't they sell them everywhere?
They are so much better and easier than the giant ones they sell most places.

baby bok choy and a giant bag of fresh crunchy bean sprouts
rice and/or bean noodles
and some oyster sauce
>>
>>9387708
>>9387720
Kinda, it was one thick cracker per packet and it was rectangular with the edges rounded.
>>
Why cant i fucking find glutinous rice at super king?
>>
>>9385884

MSG powder.
>>
>>9387647
>jasmine rice at $1.29 per lb
>2 lbs
>somehow $18

was it one of those pre-packaged 15 pound bags?
>>
>>9386490
I love you
People like you are why I still come here
>>
>>9385884
Preserved plums, pickled ginger, Milky, Choco-baby, (Can't remember the name of the best brand) rice crackers, Rose brand fortune cookies, brown/toasted/roasted rice tea, mochi of various kinds, Chinese egg noodles, durian, star fruit, lumpia wrappers, daikon... The list is pretty long.
>>
>>9386365
so sweaty.....
>>
CHEAP AS FUCK WASABI PEAS NIGGA
>>
>>9385884
White rabbit candy
>>
File: Botan-Rice-Candy-Japan.jpg (1MB, 4416x3312px) Image search: [Google]
Botan-Rice-Candy-Japan.jpg
1MB, 4416x3312px
>>
>>9386431
>>9387122
Interesting, maybe I meant more that the flavors are rich enough that just a small amount is plenty. I guess I don't eat many American sweets either because I think they're too sweet so maybe I'm the one with the problem lol.

Can we agree that Indian sweets are the sweetest?
>>
>>9387982
I think it's the carrots at that price
>>
>>9388141
Youre right about a little being enough, i think that japanese sweets are tastefully constructed as to not rely upon sweetness or decadence. As for indian sweets, ive only had jalebi and bhadami sheera, the latter of which is pretty sweet sometimes but maybe my favorite dessert in the world. I do consider jalebi a greasy indulgent confectionary mess, pretty good though and definitely interesting to try.
>>
>>9385884
bougie ramen
>>
Arsenic and lead poisoning.
>>
>>9385884
>big asian store has restaurant inside
>3 gooks, 3 massive woks, 3 maassive burners
>get to sit down and watch them make wathever you order like pros
>price is cheap as fuck
>they have more options thanthe average retaurant
only shitty part is all the gooks walking by and pushing you to get to the pgs feet section
>>
Doriyaki
>>
File: MOONCAKES.jpg (362KB, 1299x1600px) Image search: [Google]
MOONCAKES.jpg
362KB, 1299x1600px
Buy all of the dessert.
>>
>>9388782
https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Doraemon-Dorayaki-Pancake-4-86oz/dp/B017LCIRFO
>>
>>9385884
wasabi peas, lychee pudding/ soft drinks, korean pocky(with sprinkled hazelnut exterior), japanese potato chips, taiwanese cup noodles....

the list is humongus.... but i'm just putting out a few provided your gook shop sells the listed items
>>
>>9388791
>moon cake
These can get real pricy.
>>
Calpis, it's almost like a sweet yoghurt drink, top stuff.
>>
You can get a giant ass bag of Korean pine nuts for a decent price compared to the outrageous amount a tiny jar costs at the store. They are are the same exact nut so you can make authentic pesto for cheap.

Some general tips for buying at Asian markets;
>always check the back of the products to find out where they are actually manufactured/processed, it will always tell you where the contents originated even if it uses another country as a distributed
>best quality is always from Japan origin
>next best is Korea or Singapore origin, sometimes the quality can be bad but its usually at least decent/safe
>more of gamble but doable: Taiwan/Hong Kong origin
>avoid unless you seek an early death: China, Vietnam, or anywhere else in Asia
>ALWAYS ALWAYS check expiration, and if it doesn't have one you can understand don't buy it. Asian markets are super chinky about selling expired shit and they will outright lie to you if you call them out on it
Produce is also a gamble, on the one had it might be your only option for certain ingredients at a decent price, but they also tend to sit around forever and not be stored with proper care. bulk rice is always the big ticket item, because it stores well and the store pays for its shipping and a lot of times will sell it almost at-cost to get asians to come in regularly. I'm partial to short-grain Japanese rice myself, don't be afraid of it being grown in Cali as long as its marketed towards the Japanese. Its like the same exact variety that they grow over there and better priced.
>>
Any recommendations on loose leaf tea? The less acidic the better
>>
>>9385884
>What's the best things to get at an asian grocery store?
A qt Asian girl, especially if you're white since they worship big white cocks.
>>
do they sell lifeguard in asian stores?
>>
>>9387105
We could be great roommates. Fuck yeah that list.

Also Sichuan peppercorns
>>
>>9388900
Green tea isn't all that acidic but it is bitter/astringent. I think the deep steamed "fukamushi" style green tea has the most depth and umami and less acidity.
>>
>>9387949
>>9387708

one? You're getting ripped off, they used to be packed 2 a packet. They're shaped like an 8, lucky chinese number
>>
>Hot food area about mid day, any of their dim sum/hot foods for peak freshness (lunch rush), at the end of the night, not so fresh but such a bargain at like half price.

>hello panda cookies/biscuits

>lap xuong (Chinese sausage, makes for dirt cheap meals for the best price, rice cooker meals for literally less than $5 a day if even)

> Chinese broccoli/baby bok choy and most other greens

>weird ass yogurt drinks and calpico
>>
>>9385884
There used to be an Asian grocery store in my neighborhood back when I was a wee lad.

They had take-out Hong Shao Rou and the freshest bread I ever had, it was so crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside

And don't get me started on the Hong Shao Rou, it was so sticky and sweet and tender. I'm salivating just thinking about.

btw those Hello Panda cookies are GOAT.
>>
>>9387982
That's the carrots. It was 25 lbs of rice.
>>
>>9386415
white rabbits are the GOAT
>>
asian girls who are in there.
>>
can't go wrong with indomie
>>
>>9388955
>Sichuan
It's szechuan you fucking inbred.
>>
File: pack-gss.png (173KB, 370x302px) Image search: [Google]
pack-gss.png
173KB, 370x302px
>>9391008
THIS. Indomie Mi Goreng is top-shelf instant ramen.
>>
>>9391039
In standard hanyu pinyin it is Sichuan. You could argue it's fine to use "Szechuan" but you're wrong to try correcting it.
>>
>>9391039
Both are valid, Szechuan is the more old fashioned way of romanising it.
>>
>>9387105
>rambutan
mah nigga
>>
>>9387743
This guy knows. Best thing to buy is canned coffee. Went into an authentic Asian market a year or two ago in search of canned coffee and holy shit did the whole place ever stink of bad fish.
>>
>>9391733
Every time I go in mine there's a lingering scent of cigarette smoke. It's a big store so I figure people smoke in the back
>>
>>9386365
W-what are they hitting with the rubber mallet then?
>>
>>9388803
I really hope you gwai los dont actually eat the entire thing
>>
>>9387708
the 非 means 'without' or 'to not be', not 'very'
>>
>>9385884
Japanese curry
>>
>>9385884
Ginger sweets
>>
>>9385884
Mochi balls. Try all of them. Personally, I like those with the bean paste.

>>9392520
Yes. Ginger sweets are awesome.
>>
>>9392552
They are fucking expensive though, and only the most expensive are any good
I want to start making red bean mochi myself but I'm lazy
>>
>>9385884
I love picking these little bundles of delicious up.
>>
File: google translate.jpg (5KB, 220x140px) Image search: [Google]
google translate.jpg
5KB, 220x140px
>>9387672
Whenever you go to a asian grocery store you can use the Google Translate app on a smartphone, just take a photo with the app and it will translate it.

https://support.google.com/translate/answer/6142483
>>
>>9385884
depression
>>
>>9392846
desu its a great chance to learn some chinese and japanese, I can read half of all labels now and it makes shopping in there a breeze, skip the google translate except to get you started
>>
Agreed on milk candy, cheap buns, frozen dumplings, instant ramen, and noodles (would recommend soba and frozen udon).
I know people go for the produce but I never know what to do with it either.
I like the bottled milk teas also, especially the Kirin brand.
>>
>>9392967
Lots of the produce is either very simple or applicable to western cuisine. I tend to load up on eggplants which can just be used as eggplants or in baba ghanouj, bok choy for light pan-frying with garlic and ginger, cheap garlic and onions under half a buck a pound, and every few months a fresh Japanese radish to grate over steak.
>>
>>9393169
I really like roasted eggplant but don't make it enough. Never thought of pan-frying bok choy but it would probably be bretty gud as a side. Thanks senpai.
>>
>>9387672
you can buy those at Malaysian supermarkets
>>
I always get those shrimp chips in the bag with white and pink stripes. Also if you like cocaine, asian markets usually sell little green seed pods marketed as "beetle nut" or "palm nut" and you essentially chew it with a filterless cigarrete and my FUCK it gets you high as balls. Cant feel my face on that shit
>>
>>9386365
>oh sweaty
>>
>>9393344
eggplant absorbs oil. my guilty pleasure is super oily fried eggplant
>>
Those little "hello panda" sweets are pretty great.
>>
>>9385884
Methamphetamine precursors.
>>
>>9395021
So you chew the betle nut as you smoke a cigarette?

Also, you should try those shrimp chips you get to fry yourself. They're like little pellets. They taste way better senpai
>>
I like to buy my cooking utensils from the local Asian grocery store and try to chat up the cute Vietnamese girl at the register.
>>
>>9395345
Nawh man you take the nut and a smoke and chew them together.
>>
>>9386415
Good god i love these things
>>
>>9386365
>>9386368
Our japanese store has the best fish far and wide, but they also aren't cheap. Or are we speaking about british "asians"?
>>
>>9392552
I like the green tea and the pumkpin ones. They also have them as ice mochi with a ice cream inside. Delicious.
>>
File: anchovy.jpg (24KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
anchovy.jpg
24KB, 480x480px
>>9385884
>>
>>9397825
The ones here have really good quality fish that is also cheap (well prices go up and down all the time) but they also have big boxes with ice on the side with questionable quality stuff, im pretty sure they unload most of the expired stuff to some all you can eat buffette, they serve these octopus tentacles that get you sick every time
>>
>>9395345
>>9395021

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31921207
>>
File: 11432P[1].jpg (35KB, 619x350px) Image search: [Google]
11432P[1].jpg
35KB, 619x350px
WASABI PEAS MAH NIGGUH
>>
>>9388135
hnnnng fuq yes. Mum used to buy me these
>>
Patricians choice
>>
For me it's the Strawberry Crush, the best kind of Pocky.
>>
>>9385884
Air.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.