[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stainless Skillet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Stainless.jpg (24KB, 855x575px) Image search: [Google]
Stainless.jpg
24KB, 855x575px
Morning /o/

I'm thinking of getting a stainless skillet to replace my now worn non-stick pan, just a few questions;

Does food stick badly to them? i'll be using it often to cook eggs and don't want them to weld to the pan, or have to use a ton of oil.

Are they easily to clean?

Can you season them like cast iron?

Bluepill me
>>
File: 810trQ-N-xL._SL1500_.jpg (181KB, 1500x702px) Image search: [Google]
810trQ-N-xL._SL1500_.jpg
181KB, 1500x702px
>>9371910
Civic for $3k
>>
>>9371910
Yes it does stick badly if you don't know how to use proper temperature on your stainless pan.

Don't burn your fat, just wait for the right moment, throw in your food, let it sit a bit (not too quickly, that's when it sticks the most, it's especially true for meat), and it will un-stick a bit.

You will have to scrape a bit more than usual, usually for the tiny bits.

And be less lazy, clean well your cooking ware once it's done.
>>
Buy carbon steel if you want something you can season.

As for sticking just add fat. PAM is one of my most frequently bought items and I have never had a problem with sticking.
>>
>>9371910
i might just be a shit truck, but eggs are the hardest thing to master coming from nonstick to stainless
>>
pro chefs drench everything in oil, so a ss skillet works fine. health conscious cooks should use non-stick. non-stick are cheap so why is this even an issue, go to wally world and get one for 10 bucks.
>>
>>9371910
look up videos of The Leidenfrost effect for water on Stainless Steel and do it yourself. It becomes kind of non-stick at certain temp ranges but worse case scenario you just deglaze with wine or water.

>>9371946
Low and Slow scrambled eggs are easy in SS if you scrape a lot. If you get too thick a layer on the bottom then you are fucked though, there is no recovery.
>>
>>9371910
Food can stick to them, but that's usually a case of "operator error". If you try and flip the food too soon it will stick. If you let the food cook at the bottom then it will release and flip with no problem.

>>Easy to clean?
They are the easiest cookware to clean. Nothing else comes close.

>>season them
No, and there's no reason to. The only point of seasoning is to prevent ferrous metal from rusting. Stainless doesn't rust so seasoning is a pointless exercise.

>>9371959
$10 wally word pans are shit. They don't last very long, they're rarely oven safe, and they're thin as shit so they hot-spot and warp. There's nothing wrong with nonstick pans in general, just avoid the cheap shitty ones. I'm a big fan of the restaurant supply brands like Tramontina or Eagleware/Alegacy. Last much much longer than wally world shit, and they're very thick so they heat evenly and don't warp.
>>
I find stainless steel difficult to work with. Not only does stuff burn really easily on the bottom, but it doesn't create a tasty deglazable fond either. You just end up with crusty patches of burnt food.
>>
>>9371946
I only do this because I don't cook eggs often enough to buy a nonstick skillet. But this works better than non stick:

>heat high smoke point oil in the pan until smoking, make sure to coat the pan thoroughly, inside walls too.
>put a couple tablespoons salt in the smoking oil
>use a rag or paper towel to carefully scrub the salt into the pan
>lightly wipe clean

put a little butter in the pan and cook eggs as usual. The eggs will float around the pan. No idea what the salt does, found this on the internet a long time ago and have been doing it since. It will wear off after cooking eggs a few times though.
>>
>>9371910

Yes, food sticks and this is desired for certain applications though not ideal for eggs. A lot of oil or butter helps but it obviously affects flavor. Its a matter of also giving them attention. Butter requires more attention at lower temps on ss imo while oil allows for frying with less worry. It really depends on temp and you should work up gradually.

Yes. They are tough and dishwasher safe. No need to be delicate with it.

Not like cast iron, but yes, like carbon steel. The inside can be made non-stick by rubbing oil on it quickly while it's very hot. Search YouTube for seasoning stainless steel.

Learn about deglazing and making sauces, ss is great for that.
>>
>>9372003
thin = use electric range and low heat. work fine....
>>
>>9372042
>thin = use electric range and low heat. work fine....
That works fine for some things, but it's fucking useless for searing a steak, pork chop or chicken breast. Low heat will never get the skin on your fish fillet crispy without overcooking the piss out of the fish. Low heat is as useless as a perforated condom when it comes to making a stir-fry.

Why would anyone want to limit themselves to low-heat cooking when you can simply get a different pan that lets you cook with heat? It's not as if an non-nonstick pan is expensive or hard to find. Different tools for different jobs, you get both.
>>
A good stainless skillet is an excellent piece of kit for 90% of frying in the kitchen. But for stuff like eggs and fish i would recommend also getting a reasonable quality non-stick pan. They're only about £20 and if you just use it for eggs and other delicate foods it'll last years.
>>
>>9371910
I find that stainless is best for searing and making a fond for stocks and/or sauces. Great for deglazing. In all honesty non-stick is fine for eggs. It's best to have a variety of pans and use each one for their advantages.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.