[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lads! Want to get into baking. Tried making a gingerbread, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Lads!

Want to get into baking. Tried making a gingerbread, but as I didn't have a cake stand and used a mixer instead I think I failed to whip the butter and got an ultra-dense bread. Which, fair enough.

Anyway, what is the most accessible thing for beginners to bake (other than cookies)? What are the minimum set of tools one should have if they want to bake?
>>
banana bread is EZ
>>
>>9364610
Standing mixer and measuring cups as baking is very precise. Sifter would be my next recommendation. Also you'll need two large balls, testicles, to bake.

Lastly and most importantly is patience.
>>
>>9364619
2nding this.

As for what tools you need? A fucking scale. More precise than using cups, and less cleanup as well.
>>
File: Świąteczny-makowiec1-600x450.jpg (139KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Świąteczny-makowiec1-600x450.jpg
139KB, 600x450px
>>9364619
Unfortunate, as it is my least favorite loaf.

>>9364626
It does seem like a standing mixer would've eliminated a lot of pain. Is there really any difference in quality in them, or can I just go for some cheap one?

>pic related: what i want to bake in a few months
>>
>>9364667
>Is there really any difference in quality in them, or can I just go for some cheap one?

99% of cheap kitchenware is rubbish.
You want either a Kenwood or a Kitchenaid with the bowl-lift (as opposed to the tiling head). You can find either one cheap via garage sales, flea markets, craigslist, etc.
>>
Biscuits/Scones and Quickbreads (Irish soda bread) are easy and don't require a stand mixer. Start with a basic recipe and play around with mix-ins, tweaking it as you learn.
>>
>What are the minimum set of tools one should have if they want to bake?
digital scale
multiple mixing bowls (stainless steel or glass)
liquid measuring cups / spoons
whisk(s)
spatula(s)
electric mixer (hand or stand)
baking pans / sheets
cooling rack(s)

quick breads would probably be the most accesible.
>>
>>9364667
There are tons of easy breads like that to make that aren't banana. Check out zucchini bread. It's amazing. Also get a KitchenAid.

Cookies are good like you said but look at variations. Biscotti. Different iced cookies--have you done royal icing yet? Check out easy cakes like carrot cake and whatnot and work on frosting them if you wanna go that route. Easy crowd pleasers. Maybe try some basic knead breads if you wanna make bread. Nothing like homemade bread. How about "bar" form desserts like lemon bars and oatmeal bars?

I'd say you need a stand mixer, measuring cups/spoons, a serrated knife, a rubber spatula, a couple different sized whisks, a set of offset spatulas (if you do cakes this is a MUST), a dough scraper (I use mine for everything from scraping dough to scraping off my knife while cutting, to cleaning countertops and cutting butter), and a couple cooling racks. Go to Walmart you can get this stuff for cheap. Buy new tools when you need them. Making a 3 layer 9" cake? Go to Walmart and buy 3 9" cake pans. Don't bother with disposable ones, it's a HUGE waste of money and they make the sides of your cakes all fucked up.

Stand mixer is expensive but I use it for just about everything.

Maybe look into a food processor eventually.

A pastry cutter would be nice too if you're doing scones or whatever. Don't go super cheap on this one (the difference between decent and cheap is only a couple dollars here).

Parchment paper is life.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.