[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jesus Christ, Jiro. It's just raw fish and rice.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

File: tumblr_inline_mg1l4dxBu21qk7tqz.jpg (55KB, 400x234px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mg1l4dxBu21qk7tqz.jpg
55KB, 400x234px
Jesus Christ, Jiro. It's just raw fish and rice.
>>
>>9363958
but he dream
>>
That's why he operates out of a stall in a dank subway station.

Japan should give some Sbarro in a shitty mall food court some prestigious award.
>>
>>9363958
>This man destroyed his childrens dreams and forced them to become sushi chefs

Was it autism?
>>
I was watching a cooking show today and the chef got a sheet of nori and made a cone shape with it, stuffed it with rice, sliced cucumber and a bit of raw mackerel then dunked it into a bowl of soy sauce and shoved the entire thing into his mouth.

Jiro would be turning in his grave.
>>
>Was it autism?
No, it was umami
>>
>>9364020
>commits sudoku
>>
>>9364019
Maybe...?

i guess it's okay if they don't fuck up making tuna rolls
>>
>>9364020
Apart from 'dunking' it into the soy sauce (which sounds a little hyperbolic DESU), I don't see what's the matter. Making/eating sushi should be tasteful and sensible, but not pretentious.
>>
File: e9d[1].jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d[1].jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>9363958
>not this fucking thread again
>>
>>9363958
Can someone give my a quick rundown!?
>>
I hope for this lad that he dies before the sea runs out of tuna.

What will he do?
>>
File: 1503066583380.jpg (65KB, 700x602px) Image search: [Google]
1503066583380.jpg
65KB, 700x602px
>>9364852
This guy is from the documentary "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" he's a respected sushi chef in Japan. Doesn't take kindly to foreigners, gets pissed when you don't eat his sushi in a particular order, his sushi is stupid expensive like $500-$1000 in US dollars, and just overall extremely cocky about his raw fish and rice.
>>
>>9364871
1) How is that different from any other high-end sushi chef?

2) I find it interesting how you focused on the man's personal habits but didn't mention a single thing about how much of a perfectionist he is regarding his food. That seems rather odd to me, especially since it puts all the rest of your comments in context.
>>
>>9364900
>>9364871
Now I don't know what to think
>>
>>9364915
Really? Isn't it obvious?

He's a super famous and super dedicated chef. This will trigger some people and they'll rant about how pretentious it all is. Other people will say wow, that guy really focuses on his cooking.

Which personality type are you?
>>
>>9364921
Also don't forget the side of white guys going "how dare this jap think he's the master race, WE'RE the master race!"
>>
>>9364921
As far as I know all professional chefs are pretentious. It comes with the job
>>
>>9364941
That was my point. There's nothing unusual about Jiro in that regard. It's normal for all high end chefs.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13823695

is japanese food the most overrated food of all? almost all of it is fucking rice
>>
Is sushi one of the most obnoxious foods when it comes to discussion? Even steakfags are less insufferable.
>>
>>9364969
Japanese everything is the most overrated. It's far away from the west so people have a false impression that it's interesting and cultural, when it's actually pretty uninspired.
>>
>>9364924

Obsessed, as always.
>>
>>9364924
why is /ck/ so full of blacks with a chip on their shoulder? I swear not one thread goes by without one of you guys bitching about whitey
>>
ITT: Angry white gaijin flyovers who complain about actual artistry, but excuse Gordon Ramsay's screeching
>>
>>9365062
Who said anything about having a chip on their shoulder?

There's nothing unique or special about that comment, it's just one of many expected meme-tier replies.

>>I swear not one thread goes by without one of you guys bitching about whitey
Of course. It's babby's first troll, and given how often it shows up I don't the mods care much about it.
>>
>>9364924
I agree, /pol/tards always complain about race mixing and letting in immigrants but when Japan refuses everyone including whites they get uppity about being treated as an outsider
>>
>>9364020
That's temaki, a hand roll
>>
>>9364020
You just described temaki. Classic preparation and available at any Japanese sushi joint. Negitoro temaki is probably my favorite thing. You are dumb (or at least ignorant of actual sushi).
>>
>>9365100
Maybe he didn't want to out himself as a weeb by using the correct terminology?
>>
>>9365079
Former /pol/tard, here (less so since it became reddit) I respect Asian countries xenophobia. I lived in south Korea for 2 years and understood their mistrust
>>
>>9365100
---> back to tumblr
>>
>>9365272
Nope. I visit two "social" sites: 4chan and Fark. No FB, Twitter, no Reddit, no Tumblr. I'm freaking old and don't Snapchat, Kik, or Discord. I like to get news (Fark) and keep an eye on what you little fuckers are up to (4chan).

But I do like sushi, and figured my expertise might be enlightening.
>>
File: IMG_6334-1024x682.jpg (142KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6334-1024x682.jpg
142KB, 1024x682px
>>9365272
>knowing about different food is tumblr
>>
>>9363958
I make my own sushi bowls because I like sushi but I can't be bothered making rolls and shit
>>
>>9364900
You could polish a frozen turd until it is the most perfect sphere on Earth
It would still be a frozen turd
>>
>>9365342
That doesn't seem to have anything to do with the post you just replied to.
>>
>>9365062
All black people are like that
>>
>>9365062
>>9365351
Why are you so obsessed with black people that whenever anyone uses the word "white" in a less than positive context, you immediately assume that the person is black?
Maybe everyone is sick of both of you. Ever consider that?
>>
As far as food culture is concerned, is Japan the Italy of Asian?
>>
>>9365498
Hell no, that's China. Japan would be more like Germany
>has some good ingredients locally available
>does a few things really well
>abandons it all for whatever novel/spicy foreign food appears in their neighborhood
>>
>>9365342
Yes, but now that it is the most polished sphere of turd on earth, I'd bet money that someone'll buy it for double than my bet.
>>
>>9365295
What a Reddit post
>>
>>9365498
Japan is Japan. But if you want something to make them stand out, I'd say their resistance to actual foreign food is remarkable; virtually everything is "Japanese [non-Japanese dish]" instead of "[non-Japanese dish] made in Japan" and everything that isn't molested into unrecognizability tends to have a foot in the door already - for example, temple cuisine. Of course, if you go high-end then you can find authentic French or Chinese or whatever but without paying a mint for the authenticity you're not going to get a true-to-form foreign dish.
>>
>>9366235
One's first trip to Saizeriya is a strange thing, is it not?
>>
>>9365486
>everyone is sick of both of you
You have to back, Jose
>>
>>9363958
Then why is sushi so bad outside of Japan?
>>
>jiro sama. I sweep floor for five years, take out trashes and clean toilet for ten years. now after five years washing rice am I ready to pick up knife?
>no
>>
File: jiro bad parenting inensifies.png (345KB, 495x330px) Image search: [Google]
jiro bad parenting inensifies.png
345KB, 495x330px
>>9363958
>>
File: 150816040_7-660x420.jpg (71KB, 660x420px) Image search: [Google]
150816040_7-660x420.jpg
71KB, 660x420px
>>9363958
>>
>>9363958
western devils, or baka gaijins as us enlightened otaku refer to them, are clearly incapable of processing the intricate subtleties encapsulated by the simplicity that is sushi.
>>
>>9366341
It's not. Just because your flyover town has shit sushi doesn't mean all sushi outside of Japan sucks.
>>
why do women "fucking love" sushi?

why is it so much of a girl delicatessen in the west? whats with that>?
>>
>>9366579
They generally don't foot the bill for it.
>>
>>9366579
Its not. Women are just more dramatic about food than men. When is the last time a man has "fucking loved" any food?
>>
>>9366596
they never foot the bill. and when they do, they get still sushi. its their top food, like BBQs are for men. why?
>>
>>9366601
plenty of dudes fucking love science bro
>>
>>9366601
>When is the last time a man has "fucking loved" any food?
When you are given a blue steak.
>>
>>9366607
what
>>
>>9366601
i fucking love my coffee. i love everything i do and i say it. im an enthusiastic fuck.
>>
>>9366601
I had a 35-day ribeye in May that was pretty fucking spectacular.
>>
File: fi004.jpg (145KB, 990x594px) Image search: [Google]
fi004.jpg
145KB, 990x594px
>it's just literally a slab of half-cooked meat
Sometimes in simplicity, you find the greatest skill.
>>
>>9363958
The theme of the film wasn't the sushi itself dummy. It was an exploration into how much of a fundamentally broken human being Jiro is.
>>
>>9363958
Jiro was secretly a turtle justlook at him.
>>
>>9364664
>he actually takes sushi seriously
>>
>>93650749365074,
>artistry
Just throw that shit in bowl and charge me half the price. Why is sushi so expensive? Its a meme food and you fell for it and think you're cultured
>>
>>9365295
>Fark
So you do enjoy watching your daughter getting plowed by swarthy black men?
>>
File: hARZTHt.jpg (12KB, 245x320px) Image search: [Google]
hARZTHt.jpg
12KB, 245x320px
>>9363961
I keked
>>
>>9366579
You can take pretty pictures of it for your jewbook/instagram. Before sudhi it used to be tapas that was the memefood for girls.
>>
>>9367410
No kids. But I do like being the swarthy round eye plowing nubile Japanese twentysomethings.
>>
>>9368287
You remind me of every old expat you see when you travel to Asia.

You'd think boomers would be ashamed to actually marry a bland sex-toy that you could never have a conversation with that isn't about taking money out of your wallet.
>>
>>9368287
Here, here! Asian fever is a disease I hope never to be cured of.
>>
>>9368330
That's actually *why* boomers gravitate to places like that. They're tired of being screwed over by their entitled (ex)-wife, so they just go where they can get the poontang and there are no other strings attached.
>>
>>9368341
This is what boomers tell themselves and others.

The reality: They're all creepy Woody Allens that are probably upset 18 is the legal age.
>>
>>9368330
If both parties know the deal, what's the problem?
>>
>>9368356
I actually see more creepy old Japanese men with young girls (as opposed to foreigners) in the love hotel parking lots. Paid dating with HS girls is big in the salaryman world. In Japan at least, it's nearly closed off to foreigners. But, there are plenty "just out of college" OLs getting drunk at the izakaya after work. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for a genXer like me. I'm old enough to be established and have disposable cash, but young enough to still be attractive and sexually desirable (with my average sized anglo penis). It helps that I'm a karaoke god.
>>
File: IMG_2252.jpg (39KB, 180x267px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2252.jpg
39KB, 180x267px
Why haven't this been edited already? Just write "Jiro dreams of gay sex" and change the sushi into pictures of guys sucking pipe!
>>
>>9365062
>anyone that talks about white people is black

??????
>>
File: IMG_0804.gif (719KB, 267x209px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0804.gif
719KB, 267x209px
"One of the most popular documentaries on Netflix is Jiro Dreams of Sushi - one of the least popular, Jiro Nightmares of Ass Rape"
>>
>>9363958
It wasn't as bad as Jiro's Nightmare of Anal Rape
>>
>>9365074
>actual artistry
rice and fish wew fuckin lad that's some art right there
>>
>>9368459
based Norm

>>9368499
kill yourself
>>
>>9365486
t. r/AsianMasculinity
>>
>>9368425
"Mouthwatering"
Leave that in
>>
>>9363961
audible chuckle
>>
>>9364000

japanese subways are safer and cleaner than the majority of american suburbs
>>
>>9368688
That's kind of a straw man statement to compare a relatively small rail system on an island with an entire suburb in the continental United States.
It's a meaningless comparison.
>>
>>9368688
Not when I'm riding the subway desu!
>>
>>9368511
canvas and paint wew fuckin lad that's some art right there
>>
File: images (7).jpg (23KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
23KB, 384x384px
Me!!
>>
Sushi itself is usually good but I hate pretentious people who think you have to pay $300 a person for the "real deal." You're paying for an experience and a show. You're barely going to notice the difference between $50 and $300 sushi made by masters who have spent their life on it because the margin for difference isn't huge, and the biggest limiting factor is just the freshness of the ingredients that day.
>>
>>9368920
>and the biggest limiting factor is just the freshness of the ingredients that day.

Ingredient quality is a huge amount of what you're paying for. That's certainly what you get from Jiro or any other high end sushi place.

>>muh freshness
You know that most fish for sushi is deliberately aged to improve the flavor and texture? Even at Tsujiji market you will find most species of fish being deliberately aged. It's the same idea has hanging wild game or dry-aging beef, though the time involved is shorter. There are several documentaries about this on Youtube.
>>
>>9368920
A large part of the price is being able to pick good ingredients by eye while looking at a whole fish. This ain't beef marbling where you can ask the butcher for prime and he pulls out a Pantone flipbook and squints at the steaks until he finds one sufficiently pink.

I'd wager there's also a goodly amount of waste related to this driving the price up in addition to the value of a well-trained eye.
>>
>>9369042
Fish waste from a high-end Japanese restaurant? Hell no. They'll use every part of that fish. The premium cuts go for nigiri sushi. Trimming/scraps get minced and used in hand rolls. Fins, skin, and smaller bones are deep-fried and served as snacks, or with booze poured over them. Bones get used to make stock. Even the internal organs get used. If there is any waste off a fish in Japan it would be because it is literally inedible.
>>
>>9366295
>>9368536
>this grasping
>>
>>9365351
this
>>
>>9369065
Waste from the perspective of "can we serve this for $x00 a head while keeping our reputation", not necessarily it being pitched in the trash.
The culture of fixed-menu meals helps, but at some point buying multiple fish you're confident in building a meal around, in case one doesn't pan out, is going to be riskier and thus pricier than the turf equivalent of being able to buy only the best cuts.
>>
File: truest sushi.jpg (326KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
truest sushi.jpg
326KB, 1536x1152px
now this, THIS is absolute culinary beauty
>>
>>9369243
>Waste from the perspective
Yeah, I get that. All of those things I mentioned wouldn't be out of place at a high-end Japanese restaurant.

>>The culture of fixed-menu meals helps
Any halfway serious sushi restaurant is not going to serve a fixed menu in the Western sense. Instead they will have a menu that varies based on what fish they could get that day. These options will be displayed on little hanging signs on the wall inside the shop for the customers to see. The whole point of this system is that it can easily be changed to reflect what they're serving on what day. The idea is that they can put up or take down signs based on what they have in stock that day. You either order the specific sushi you want by name, or you can ask the Chef to serve you whatever he feels is appropriate. If you're a regular the Chef knows what you like. If you're not then you'll be served some basic stuff first and then the chef will choose your later courses based on his observation of you eating the earlier ones.

>>he turf equivalent of being able to buy only the best cuts.
That happens too. The Japanese fish market has an unusual layer of middlemen between the wholesalers and the restaurants. Those are the guys who buy whole fish from the fishermen and then portion them out to the restaurants. A restaurant certainly could buy only whatever specific cuts they want. But the middleman is still not going to be wasting anything. He might buy a high-dollar tuna and sell the belly to the $$$ restaurant, the akami to the $$ restaurant, and the bones to the guy who makes seafood ramen.
>>
>>9364924

I have never seen this or anything like this

Even legitimate racists tend to have no problems with japs
>>
>>9364924

why do liberals push politics into everything

I have never seen anyone bring race into sushi
>>
>>9369281
I wonder how Jiro would react if someone asked for doggy bags
>>
>>9369344
then you should look at >>9364871 who's buttpained that Jiro doesn't like foreigners.

you should also get better at samefagging, the exact one-minute gap with the same leddit typing style is blindingly obvious.
>>
>>9363958
The only thing I get from this film is that he treats his sons like shit and that his success and fame have totally gone to his head. I don't understand why so many people on /ck/ dislike him he's another successful psychopath, you should used to people like him already.
>>
all trolling aside when you get down to it he really is the absolute best of the best and that difference between him and other top chefs is so unbelievably distinct that it's almost ridiculous to compare. His sushi simply is on another level due to the sheer ability of Jiro.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.