[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Miso Paste alternative uses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: miso.jpg (39KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
miso.jpg
39KB, 504x504px
I recently read an article that had suggested miso paste as a great alternative for salt in most dishes. I beat some eggs with the miso then scrambled them and served them over some steamed vegetables, and it turned out really well. Anyone have any good (non-soup) miso suggestions?
>>
>>9361476
i bought some miso last time i was at the asia grocer but i have never used miso before so i dont know what to do with it
>>
>>9361476

The last time we made burgers we mixed miso paste with the mayo, turned out really good. Mixed some mushrooms in with the burger meat and pickled some bok choy, it was all really nice.
>>
I use it in salad dressing and for salting meat
>>
it's not a substitute for salt if it's literally salted preserves.

that said, it goes well in most recipes which call for a sharp or hearty cheese. i add some to my risotto, and make a white sauce for salisbury steak with it.
>>
>>9361476
>tfw accidentally bought white miso that wasn't seasoned to make miso soup and it tastes like ass
>>
>>9361476
https://cookpad.com/search/%E3%81%BF%E3%81%9D
>>
>>9361476
Miso marinade for oily meats (sablefish, mackerel, or fatty cuts of beef/pork)

3 tbsp sake
3 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp miso

Heat mirin and sake to boiling for half a minute or so, dissolve sugar, remove from heat and beat in the miso. Marinate the meat for up to four days in the fridge, then wipe of excess marinade and cook using your preferred searing method (if you do a straight pan-sear without sous-vide or redneck-oven-sous-vide steps then bear in mind the surface will carbonize faster than you expect, due to increased carbohydrate from the marinade)
>>
>>9361476
Since we're on the subject... how long does Miso paste last in the fridge? I've had some sitting in my fridge for about a year and it still smells fine but idk if it's still good to consume.
>>
I'm pretty sure miso paste is full of salt, so what's the point of that as a substitution, unless you just want miso flavor in stuff?
>>
>>9361837
Forever unless it molds. I used a container I left in the fridge before I went off to college this summer, and I'm thirtysomething and was visiting my parents on vacation.
>>
>>9361497
>mixed miso paste with the mayo
Done this before. Quite taste, would recommend.
>>
>>9361497
>mixed miso paste with the mayo
I'm intrigued.

I've mixed miso paste with butter and spread it on toast or roasted or steamed vegetables.

I also use it for marinades, and salad dressing.

>>9361837
I think it's supposed to last about six months. It is a fermented product full of salt, which would probably extend shelf life. If there's no change in consistency, smell, colour etc. you're probably safe. I think I've gone at least a little over six months before.
>>
>>9361837
Mine has been in the fridge for two years.
>>
>>9361861
The point is flavor.

Obviously miso contains a lot of salt so this isn't a "low sodium" substitution.
>>
Melt miso into butter and use as a sauce for any vegetable, especially starchy ones. Thank me later.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.