[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CASTIRON

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (74KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
74KB, 520x520px
hey /ck/ im a cast iron noob and im having trouble getting it to work efficiently for me. I have seasoned it in the oven a couple times now since I keep breaking it down and each time i finish cooking something i wipe it all out with warm water.
My real issue is with things like (breakfast) sausage that kind of grill to the bottom of the pan even if I spray pam to keep the sausage non-stick. For example, I can flip the sausage no problem without it sticking or getting caught on the pan but it still leaves the residue that like i said, grills to the pan's surface. Is there any way to prevent this better? Am I doing anything wrong?
>>
>>9351242
>I have seasoned it in the oven a couple times now since I keep breaking it down

Seasoned with what?
And how?

Because it sounds like you did it wrong.
>>
>>9351246
I turned the oven to 350 or 425 or something, the higher the less time it was in and the lower the more, depending on which one i did.
Basically took a little bit of vegetable oil, rubbed it all over the pan, inside and out and then put it in the oven for 30 minutes to an hour. Once it was out I waited for it to cool and then repeated the process two more times. That was my most recent season, since then I have just been leaving oil in the pan after cooking like I said before.
>>
>>9351254
Temps too low for one thing.
Point 2: how thick are you laying down the oil
Point three: /which/ vegetable oil? Soybean? Sunflower? Canola?
We need to know which one so we know its iodine value.
>>
>>9351242
>Am I doing anything wrong?
no
those brown bits are called fond and will happen, you might have less of it, the longer you use your pan. maybe try using a hard plastic type spatula, and try getting most of it up when you slide it under your food.

also a lot of meat will stick until browned nicely, then it will almost magically not stick when the browning is perfect
>>
>>9351293
I havent been laying it down thick, just putting a little put in and wiping all around with a paper towel or something.
The vegetable oil is canola

>>9351312
so would you recommend just leaving the residue in the pan if it isn't that bad and just keep cooking in it? Is this a legitimate option and would it not cause harm (probably the wrong word I don't know what to use) to the pan or any food or anything?
>>
>>9351390
I liked it's soybean, I do have canola though if that would work better
>>
>>9351242

Season cast iron with flaxseed oil (http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/)

The stuff that sticks to the bottom of a hot pan is called fond. It's a good thing.
>>
>>9351390
Canola has a middling iodine value but is decent enough for our purposes. Ideally you'd want a high iodine oil like flaxseed.

Pre-heat your pan to 200F
Pour some oil in and massage it into the pan with paper towel or whatever
Then take a fresh paper towel and wipe it all off, you only want the stuff that's worked its way into the pores of the metal
Then roast the pan in your oven as hot as it'll go for an hour, shut the oven off and leave everything to cool.

Repeat until your pan has an attractive matte finish or until you run out of autism, whichever is soonest.
>>
>>9351242
makes excellent additional armor in pubg
>>
>>9351242
NIGGA THAT SHIT IS FOND AND IT'S MAGICAL

YOU FUCKING DEGLAZE THAT SHIT AND MAKE A PAN GRAVY OUT OF IT OR I WILL FIND YOU AND SHIT ON YOUR SIDEWALK REEEEEE
>>
>>9351390
>just keep cooking in it?
what more would be cooking it it. more of the same food or different stuff. if there's a bunch of stuff on it you might want to deglaze the pan and make a pan sauce or just deglaze with water to clean it up and cook your next stuff. if there's not a lot of fond and your cooking another round of the same food, you might be able to get away with not cleaning it up

I'd clean it before cooking something different or else that fond will burn and become incorporated in your next food.

>>9351390
>and would it not cause harm
it wont harm your pan but maybe your food, depends on how much fond is on it and how hot your cooking
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.