[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a lower middle class person with no cooking experience.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 435.jpg (65KB, 680x664px)
435.jpg
65KB, 680x664px
I am a lower middle class person with no cooking experience. I own a pot, a pan, a knife, a spatula, and a serving spoon. What are some fairly easy cheap things that I can cook? McDicks and hot pockets for every meal is doing bad things to my health and my wallet.
>>
Buy slow cooker. Make pasta, lentil, or beef based slop in it.
>>
>>9349651
You don't even need a slowcooker for any of that.
A pot and a plan is all you need.

Try out a basic spaghetti sauce, OP.
American classic
>>
>>9349644
Why lower middle class? A lot of people are poor just say your poor op.
>>
>>9349681
You have any favorite recipes? I love spaghetti so that sounds like a good idea.

>>9349739
I live in a college area where a lot of middle class or higher people will complain about how poor they are, and I usually try to avoid using the word poor because then I just look like one of them. Plus, I'm not destitute or anything, I just have to be frugal.
>>
That's not VHS Static that is clearly white noise.
>>
>>9349746
>You have any favorite recipes? I love spaghetti so that sounds like a good idea.
It's super simple so you can just experiment on your own

Brown your meat with onions and garlic.
Drain if it's too fatty.
Add two cans of diced tomatoes
Add a tb of basil and oregano
A tsp of salt and a half tsp of pepper
Two bay leaves
And a tb of sugar.
Carrots are optional and should be cut very small.
Celery is optional too.

Get that to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 2ish hours.
There you go.

You can play around with it however you want. If you don't like sweet sauces, you can replace the sugar with a tsp of cayenne
>>
File: Linsen-Spatzle-3.jpg (70KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Linsen-Spatzle-3.jpg
70KB, 800x533px
>>9349746
Swabian Lentils

- 5 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 leek, finely chopped, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 pound dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained (no need to soak)
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- parsley
- Homemade German Spätzle or store-bought

1. Cook the bacon over medium-high heat until done. Transfer to a plate. Cook the onion until soft and translucent 5-7 minutes. Add the butter, carrots and leek and cook for 5 minutes.

2. Add the lentils, bacon, broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add the vinegar and parsley and simmer another 3-4 minutes. If too thick for your taste, add a little extra beef broth. Add more salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar to taste.

3. Serve over hot Homemade German Spätzle with a sausage (preferably German Saitenwurst if you can find it).
>>
>>9349777
I've made this before
Real good shit
Though, cooking the bacon directly in the lentil mix leads to strong bacon flavour.
If the bacon is cooked too much on the side, I find it loses a bit of flavour in the final dish.
>>
>>9349789
It needs the fat from cooking the bacon in the same pot to flavor it. I actually got lazy and started using pre-cooked frozen bacon because my parents bought me a gigantic bag of it from Costco, and it doesn't have enough fat to really get good flavor.

I end up putting an extra pat of butter in with the veg to make up for it.
>>
>>9349769
This one sounds great, and pretty easy. I'll give it a shot.

>>9349777
>If too thick for your taste
not possible, I'm really hoping it's thick. Stuff always feels too watery for me.
This sounds great too, thanks anon!
>>
>>9349801
Have you ever had a problem with lentils sticking to the bottom?
There was this one time, I mix in the lentils, turn away for a moment, and when I come back they're all fused to the bottom.
Still was edible in the end, but it was more like a soup with potatoes carrots and bacon
>>
>>9349807
>Have you ever had a problem with lentils sticking to the bottom?

Never, but I use a really nice crockpot that's got thick teflon coating on it. You might be turning the heat too high too. I only have the heat on high to boil it at the beginning of step 2, then turn it down to low and cover for the 40 minute simmer.
>>
File: worry.jpg (23KB, 305x323px) Image search: [Google]
worry.jpg
23KB, 305x323px
>>9349819
>crockpot that's got thick teflon coating on it.
Teflon or ceramic?

I've never heard of a teflon crockpot, and I'd a little skeptical of one.
>>
File: serveimage (7).jpg (151KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (7).jpg
151KB, 2000x2000px
>>9349826
I'm 90% sure this is teflon. It's pretty nice because it has a separate "stove top" setting for high heat shit and then a "slow cooker" setting for the 8 hour stuff.
>>
>>9349644
>What are some fairly easy cheap things that I can cook?
Honestly? With that kitchen inventory you mentioned? Maybe water
>>
lower middle class is code for poor.

youre a poor person. embrace your true identity.
>>
>>9349644
Honestly just about anything. What do you want to cook?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.