[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Salt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: PinkHimalayanSaltBackground.jpg (80KB, 735x735px) Image search: [Google]
PinkHimalayanSaltBackground.jpg
80KB, 735x735px
I know himalayan pink salt is a "meme", but is it (or any others like Persian blue salt, red Hawaiian salt etc) actually useful in the kitchen?

I currently only have basic table salt and coarse sea salt.
>>
>>9341386
Kosher all day.
>>
Google all day.
>>
>>9341400
no
>>
>>9341401
yes
>>
>>9341386

It's just fucking salt, the colors come from minerals and other shit present in the salt. You can use it however the fuck you want, it's just salt. Make a steak, boil some pasta or rub oyur butthole with it, gonna be the same shit as regular salt.
>>
>>9341386
Salt is salt. The only real difference is the absorption rate, which is only dependant on the size of the salt. And size also changes how much you're putting in if you're using volume measurements like teaspoon and tablespoon. Sure there's a VERY small difference in taste but most people can't tell the difference. You need a very sensitive tongue and a varied pallette to discern the difference.
>>
>>9341445
>>9341446
>not being able to tell the difference between alaea, black lava salt, and pink salt

t. salt plebs
>>
>>9341386
Unless the salt is flaked rather than a sandy texture like in the picture, you really wont notice a difference.

Try pink flaked salt, its good for finishing dishes, rather than to season something mid cook.
>>
>>9341394
this
kosher salt is basically ideal
>>
>>9341386
It's a meme hands down. Tried some because sister in law bought as a gift for wife.

We used it because salt is salt. Enjoy paying $9 for something that costs $1 to be a trendy hipster.
>>
Seriously, just use Maldon for finishing and kosher for everything else
>>
File: 51bmXG26J1L.jpg (38KB, 429x500px) Image search: [Google]
51bmXG26J1L.jpg
38KB, 429x500px
>>9341694
Why not Halen Môn instead of Maldon?
>>
>>9341386
PHS Master Race

Anyone who says "salt is salt" has no clue what they are talking about and most likely eats a shit load of heavily salted processed foods and/or smokes.
>>
>>9341811
go on, explain you point, saying it's better because it's better is just being a dumbfuck
>>
>>9341405
no
>>
>>9341759
>Angry Sea Salt
Wut
>>
>>9342115
The sea was angry that day my friends
>>
>>9341386
Himalayan Pink salt is actually very good because it has 84 trace minerals in it, so youre getting less than sodium when using it as well as the fact that you need less. I use it as a staple but also try to find it cheap and in bulk at a health food store. I charge $3.99/lb for it at my place of business in bulk vs $7.99 for an 8oz jar. If for no other reason, its very tasty and you should use it for that, but make sure its more pink than white. Also dont fall for Organic salt because salt is a mineral and the USDA doesnt regulate minerals. So you'll end up paying more money for the same thing
>>
File: black-salt-2.jpg (414KB, 3010x2238px) Image search: [Google]
black-salt-2.jpg
414KB, 3010x2238px
Black salt has a unique taste and sulphur smell.
>>
>>9341688
>"wife"
>>
File: Phone 1 009.jpg (71KB, 717x960px) Image search: [Google]
Phone 1 009.jpg
71KB, 717x960px
Pacific Blue, Yakima, Hiwa Kai and Sel Gris are all interesting salts to work with and have unique flavors. Actually I think there's some little starter pack you can buy that contains most of them...let me Google that shit...

https://www.seasalt.com/bamboo-gourmet-salt-sampler-artisan.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vnMBRDgARIsACm_BhKzFI4N2dgIgOjj6oQ9QNYw1H54oiYMDp75CpNzEG6yBPSBUlaXTgYaAibdEALw_wcB

Yep. Also just a note, Hiwa Kai if you motor it or grind it, is great for BBQ. In the link I've only used like maybe 5 or 6 similar salts but they can change a profile depending on how you use it.
>>
white
>>
>>9341386
They're useful as salt.

They're also useful as a table dressing (want salt? Let me upsell you on the pink stuff!), and if you want a tiny bit of colour to finish up a dish (only works when coarse). Other than that, if you're using enough to reap any health benefits from the impurities, you're probably pushing the limits of your sodium intake.
>>
>>9342431
I got some of this stuff in Nepal. Was like .50 cents for a big chunk.

But I have no idea what to use it for and it's just sat around since I bought it.
>>
>>9342507
>santoku at work
>plastic buttons
dude...
>>
>>9341386
Meme does not mean "things I don't like".
>>
>>9341386
Flaked salt is pretty great. Buy a bottle of Fleur de Sel, which is one of the fanciest salts out there. Then refill it with cheap flaked salt after you've used it all.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.