[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

Hey /ck/ noob cook here and I want to cook something for my family this Friday.
I'd like to make a lasagna, salad, garlic rolls, apple pie, and cinnamon ice cream. I want to make everything from scratch except for the lasagna noodles. Any tips? Also, what type of salad should I make?
General advice thread
>>
Thats quite alot that can go wrong there, if nobody already expects you to make all that stuff you should better start small.
>>
>>9339032
>Any tips?

Yeah. Start with something simpler if you're a noob cook. Making all of that from scratch is a pretty big deal for a noob.
>>
>>9339032
Is this a joke? Why do you need to make all this shit?

Anyway just lookup all those recipes on Foodwishes. If you really need to make so much stuff I suggest making banana bread instead of apple pie and buying some ice cream to serve with it. Banana bread is near impossible to fuck up.
>>
>>9339032
>I want to make everything from scratch except for the lasagna noodles
Why everything except for the noodles? It's quite literally only flour and eggs.
>>
>>9339032
>noob cook here
>I'd like to make a lasagna, salad, garlic rolls, apple pie, and cinnamon ice cream

whoa pal take it easy there.
>>
>>9339032
Start woth making the lasagna and salad yourself. Apple pie and ice cream are kind of hard to make for a noob. Look up recipes and follow them closely, they will usually guide you well. Just be sure to use good cheese on that lasagna.
>>
>>9339032
Interesting. Lasagna is super simple but requires some time. First decide what ingredients you want in the lasagna, meat and/or veggies. I'd also recommend not making apple pie, but instead just make some apple "filling" in a crockpot and throw it over your favorite name brand ice cream.
>>
Waldorf salad
Apple crumble (way easier & tastes better)
Buy the ice cream
Buy a soft baguette and paint with garlic butter and parm.

>Lasagna
low moisture ricotta & mozz
thicc bolognese

Basically you want to reduce moisture and rest for 20 min to get nice slices.
>>
File: pasta.jpg (200KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pasta.jpg
200KB, 1600x1200px
>>9339032

If you're going to piss around making ice cream, make the fucking lasagna noodles as well. Ice cream is 35 pains in the ass for what you get.

That's this recipe rolled through a 70 dollar pasta machine.

Homemade Pasta Recipe
Yield: 1 1/4 lbs dough
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Ingredients:
• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour, sifted (plus extra flour for preparing)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 large eggs, beaten
• 2 Tablespoons water
Directions:
1. Place eggs, water, flour and salt in mixer bowl. Attached bowl and flat beater. Turn to speed 2 and mix for 30 to 60 seconds. Add more water if the dough is too dry, in 1/2 Tablespoon increments.
2. Change out the flat beater for the dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and knead for 2 minutes. Remove the dough and knead by hand for 2 minutes. Let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Cut dough into four pieces before processing with pasta sheet attachment. Take one piece and flatten into a rectangular shape. Adding flour to both sides. Be sure to cover the other pieces. Attach the pasta sheet roller to your stand mixer and set it to #1. Turn on the stand mixer to speed 2 and run the pasta dough through the pasta sheet roller. While on #1, fold the dough in half and run it through again. I do this several times.
4. Adding a little bit of flour on each side of the dough again, change setting to #2 and pass the pasta dough through the sheet roller. I do this twice and then twice each on #3 and then #4. If you want thicker dough, don't do the #4 setting.
5. Once again, add flour to each side of your long pasta sheet. Change the attachment to your spaghetti or fettuccine cutter and turn on to speed 2. Run the pasta sheet through and with your left hand, hold on to the pasta as it comes through the cutter. It's usually really long so I cut it and then wind it around my hand to create a nest. Allow pasta to dry for a few minutes before boiling.
>>
File: dog8.png (138KB, 387x389px) Image search: [Google]
dog8.png
138KB, 387x389px
>ice cream from scratch
>bread from scratch
>noob

Slow down there man, you don't have to do all that shit unless you're trying to impress someone. I used to think I had to do everything by hand too but people will appreciate the effort, even if it's just you buying the food and heating it up. Sometimes they'll like it more than if you made it by hand.

That being said, here are some tips for this particular spread you want to do:

Lasagna recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrkRFgHLVk Easy and delicious

Salad: baby spinach, romaine, sliced or julienned radishes, walnuts, chopped clementines or oranges. Serve with a vinaigrette or italian dressing

Garlic rolls: buy frozen rolls you can bake in the oven, brush them with butter, minced garlic, and chives. Trust me on this, the amount of time put into making rolls from scratch when you're just starting out isn't worth it.

Apple pie: take 6 chopped and peeled granny smith apples and toss them with 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbs cornstarch, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp each cinnamon/cloves/ginger, 1 tsp vanilla, and a big pinch of salt. In a pie pan layer over a pie shell (from the store. Same principle as the rolls), prick the bottom a couple times with a fork, add the filling and dot with 6 tablespoons of cubed, cold butter. Layer over a second shell and use the prongs of a fork to seal the edges, plus cut a very small couple of holes in the top for steam to release. Preheat the oven to 400F, while it's heating beat an egg with 1 tbs of water, brush this all over the top of the pie and sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover the whole pie with foil and bake for 25 minutes, then remove and bake for another 25 minutes, place foil around the edges of the pie if you see it getting too dark.

Ice cream: unless you've got an ice cream maker don't do it. Buy butter pecan or vanilla bean.
>>
Make a pasta salad to compliment the lasagna
>>
>>9339263
Yeah I know it's a lot but it's just my mom dad and sister. I'm just wanting to do it because I enjoy cooking things but I really only cook simple things like steak so I wanted to try something a bit more complicated
>>
>>9339347
I have an ice cream maker and the recipes I've seen look really simple.
I appreciate everyone and I get it's a bit much but it's really just for fun and to test myself a bit. I really don't care too much if I fuck it up. I decided not to make the noodles since I didn't feel like paying for the noodle press as well.
>>
>>9339343
This.

>>9339032
OP if you're absolutely dead set on going balls to the wall when you're brand new at cooking don't skimp on the one thing that has a monumental impact on your star dish.

But pro tip? Don't make all that by scratch, just do the lasagna (everything) and the salad with a dressing you make yourself as an option as well (less is more here).

The rolls, ice cream and pie you're better off buying and adding some flair to them.
>>
>>9339368
You don't need a noodle maker to make noodles anon, it's a convenience thing sorta like a garlic press.
>>
File: 2013 handrolled pasta.jpg (216KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2013 handrolled pasta.jpg
216KB, 1600x1200px
>>9339378

welllll, A little more convenient than that. I made these without a pasta machine. They were good, but jesus christ what a hassle to cut.
>>
>>9339378
Real talk though rolling out dough is a bitch
>>
>>9339378

This is how you work pasta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQDzYXDD08
>>
>>9339032
You can make ice cream by whipping some heavy cream with some sweetened condensed milk then freezing it
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.