[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it actually better than pre-ground pepper? What about for salt?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0272.jpg (137KB, 891x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0272.jpg
137KB, 891x1024px
Is it actually better than pre-ground pepper?
What about for salt?
>>
>>9328197
For salt I can take it or leave it. For ground pepper though it's way better.
>>
>>9328197
Salt is just a crystal, crush it before or after, it doesn't fucking matter.

Pepper is a spice, there's volatile organic compunds in there that will fuck off on you if you leave it sit in open air too long. Grind fresh, and that goes for every other spice you can get whole, for that matter.
>>
For salt, it doesn't matter at all. Peppercorns, on the other hand, are much more pungent fresh-ground than pre-ground.
>>
>>9328197

Pepper? Yes it is, no need to even discuss this and if you can't taste it immediately you just can't be helped.

Salt? Meh.
>>
>>9328197
The thing about having salt in a good mill is that you can vary the grind size depending on what you need at the time.
>>
>>9328197
pepper yes
salt no
>>
>>9328326
That's what a mortar and pestle is for. Step up your game.
>>
>>9328344
At that point you might as well just use bowls full of different grind sizes then. A mortar and pestle isn't going to give the same consistency, it isn't going to let you change grind size on the fly, and is more effort for worse results. M&Ps have their place but in this case they are inferior to a good adjustable salt mill in every way.
>>
File: Grape Tomatoes.jpg (44KB, 445x267px) Image search: [Google]
Grape Tomatoes.jpg
44KB, 445x267px
>>9328354
Mise en Place bitch. You do that before you cook. Name me one time you needed both "coarse pepper" and "fine pepper" on the fly? Never you fucking cunt.

Get the fuck off this board you chump.
>>
>>9328361
lol I've been cooking for a living for well over a decade and have been on this board longer than that. OP is asking if these are worth it. Specifically I responded about salt, not pepper, since pepper has already been covered. Its clear OP isn't working in a professional kitchen and I think for home/tableside use an adjustable mill offers numerous advantages over having a bunch of different types and grind sizes of salt on hand at all times. Some things need a find grind, some need large flakes, its wholly dependent on the dish. Saying a mortar and pestle is better or more efficient for this is just ignorant but whatever you say, bud. Keep moving those goalposts.
>>
>>9328373
Pestle your flakes, set aside. Pestle your fine, set aside. Use both as needed. Mise en Place bitch, you just outed yourself as a shit cook.
>>
>>9328381
kek

M&P results in inconsistencies in the grind size. Sometimes it matters sometimes it doesn't regardless its doesn't matter because a mill is more efficient and versatile and we aren't talking about a professional setting. We're talking about general purpose consumer use.

You've obviously never worked in a kitchen because no one fucking grinds chunks of salt down to size in a restaurant. You just buy whatever sizes you need and portion from those but this isn't really practical in a non-professional setting.

Stay mad, M&P fag.
>>
>>9328373
so, just do like most of us cooks do and buy Kosher and Iodized salt, its not that fucking hard, or fancy, its fucking salt. Go lick a salt block, you fucking donkey brained mongoloid.
>>
>>9328405
Sorry you're so mad, friendo. I know its hard to understand that one uses different things in a professional kitchen than one would at home.

It doesn't make sense for a homecook to have 3-4 different grinds of salt(or to grind as needed with a mortar and pestle) when a homecook can simply use an adjustable mill and get both a higher quality of salt and a wide range of grind sizes with minimal effort.
>>
>>9328197
Salt grinder is useful for when you want smaller granules.
I just buy kosher salt and use a grinder or leave it be depending on the application.
Doesn't actually change the flavor.
Pre ground pepper is shit tier.
>>
>>9328381
>>9328405
OP isn't a cook you fucking tards, jesus
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.