[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neapolitan pizza doctrine regarding fuel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Passing this question along from pizzamaking.com Any anon here pizza-guru? This is a very serious question:

Neapolitan doctrine says you need a wood fired oven to make a proper pizza. But a gas fired oven seems to work as well. Charcoal fired ovens are not "allowed" though.

I am finding these coconut husk briquettes that I want to use 'cause muh deforestation (I am in third world country).. They are without additives, food grade, a little higher calorific value compared to wood. Of course they contain hardly any oxygen, and no water.

Can I use them to make a proper Neapolitan or not?

For those people that say "too dry": I could just put a bowl of water inside the oven, or increase hydration of the dough.
>>
>>9319192
Me again:
Clarification. These briquettes are charcoal, made from coconut husks.
>>
>>9319192

You can make a pizza with any heat source you want, dude, but it won't be considered an "official" Neapolitan unless it's made in a wood fired oven.
>>
>>9319192
If you're in 'the third world' no one will care.
You don't need to worry about being killed in your sleep by the Neapolitan review board.
>>
>>9319196
So they are charcoal and you already said charcoal is not allowed. What's the issue here?

Quite frankly if the fuel hasn't been absorbing nutrients from soil that an Italian has either bled or jizzed on it can't really make authentic pizza.
>>
>>9319202
Cool. So there are no other issues with using the other fuel? Happy that there isn't. I don't care if it is regarded as official or not (another advantage of being third world, people don't care!). Still hanging in here to hear from contrarians though.
>>
>>9319202
>>9319211
>>9319214

Thanks. Sorry. I was vague. I don't care if it is a "proper" Neapolitan in name. I just want it to be equal in taste.
>>
>>9319233
There's only one way to find that out, and that's to try it.

The coconut will impart a different flavor than the wood used by the Italians, and that might be a good thing....or a bad thing. Regardless, try it out, I don't imagine it would be bad, just different.
>>
>>9319251
Yeah. Too bad that I have to build or buy an oven to try it out...
(second thought, I guess I can borrow somebody's WFO and try it out).
I think they will be pretty much flavour neutral despite the coconut. The main problem that I foresee is the lower humidity, but that can be solved.
>>
Coal will get you the same flavor as wood, but not the same texture. Coal creates the kind of crunchy crust found in a New York pizza, whereas wood creates the soft breadiness of a Neapolitan pizza.
>>
>>9319323
Thanks. So do you know what are the actual physics behind that effect? Is it the water in the wood?
>>
>>9319380
I'm unsure if it is the water in the wood or the higher heat of the charcoal. Both can theoretically be mitigated with water and adjusting the amount of fuel though.
>>
No one have the webm of the pizza place in Brazil where they're feeding the oven with leftover cardboard and random crap?
>>
>>9319393
Cool. I'll get myself a WFO and try. In any case, it feels good to know that charcoal does not ruin a pizza. I'll do some testing and eventually I'll reach the level of a commercially viable product.

Thanks for your input. Polite subforum this.
>>
>>9319409
Have fun! Come back if you need suggestions for the actual pizza; I'm a big anchovy myself.
>>
File: big-spatula.jpg (108KB, 846x438px) Image search: [Google]
big-spatula.jpg
108KB, 846x438px
>>9319408
Came across this vid while searching for it.
A """pizza oven""" made from a charcoal bbq with a ring of tinfoil lined cardboard around it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTCcsGOuuEI
>>
>>9319476
OP here. Yeah, I've seen those. But they are not very practical for commercial use. I am expecting to make about 10-20 pizzas per night. You need an oven that can maintain heat etc. I am leaning towards a homemade oven o r pizzapartyshop.com/en
>>
>>9319695
I just posted it because I thought it was interesting.
Now I'm watching random wilderness cooking vids...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3kHH3uTOJQ
>>
The best pizza I ever had was take-and-bake.

Ovens are a gimmick.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.