[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Top Siced Bun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: hotdog_bun.jpg (404KB, 1500x1012px) Image search: [Google]
hotdog_bun.jpg
404KB, 1500x1012px
Has there ever been a more pointless culinary invention than the top sliced hotdog bun?

It's inferior to the original design in every single way.
>Harder to hold/eat
>Less room for toppings
>Falls apart more easily
Seriously, is there any advantage to the top slice?
>>
Symmetry for people with OCD.
>>
If you're a light topping guy, they stand easier, I'm not like that but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.
>>
>>9308951
I love top-sliced buns :(
>>
>>9308951
>is there any advantage to the top slice
It looks a bit like a vulva?
>>
If you think that's bad try a perpendicular sliced bun
>>
I'm pretty sure the top-split is the original and the side-split bun is the improvement. In my country, anyway, top-split were the more typical variety until the early 2000s. They've since grown less common but are still by no means a rarity. Considering the brand pictured in OP, I would guess in the US, top-split is the new thing?
I live in Ameriland now but haven't seen top-split buns yet.
>>
>>9308951
>Seriously, is there any advantage to the top slice?

The advantage is obvious from a production standpoint.

A normal bun needs to be cut apart from its loaf to be sliced horizontally, or even baked individually.

Top-slicing buns means you can run whole loaves through a slicer in a constant stream.
>>
>>9308951
just rotate the bun?
>>
File: NEbun.jpg (46KB, 964x723px) Image search: [Google]
NEbun.jpg
46KB, 964x723px
Had a hotdog on something called a "New England style" bun last week, it was similar to these.
>>
>>9310900
yeah thats how we do it up here
>>
>>9308951
I agree with all your points and am also annoyed with them for the same reasons. However, I used them this past 4th of July and found that they're not prone to splitting completely in half like side-cut buns are. Side cut buns can split all the way through under a variety of circumstances:
>being overloaded with toppings
>the factory machines do a shitty job and makes the slices too deep
>the bun is not flexible enough for it to open up without splitting either because it had a shitty recipe, or dried out too much
>>
>>9310900
thats just a fucking piece of bread
>>
>>9311705
No, it's clearly got a bottom crust.
It looks exactly the same as the bun in the OP except a little taller.
>>
side-split can hypothetically hold a lot more before complete failure, but leaks no matter what and often breaks apart at the seam. top-split are great for moderate amounts of moist toppings like kraut or meat sauce which go under the dog, where the thicker bread behind the cut is necessary to hold the whole thing together.
>>
oh, also, the new england bun's lack of crust on the side means it can be grilled with butter. not really a thing for sausage but fucking imperative for lobster roll.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.