[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steak with pan sauce "Bordelaise" cook-a-long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 18

File: Cheapy steaks.jpg (231KB, 687x688px) Image search: [Google]
Cheapy steaks.jpg
231KB, 687x688px
Got some cheap steaks in the freezer I need to use up, and a new grill, so time to knock out some steak with a nice sauce in case I fuck them up.

Pic related: defrosted and seasoned

This was a 3 pack, so I'm going to take one and chop it up to use for the sauce, and reserve the meat for later use in a soup.
>>
File: steak chopped.jpg (250KB, 848x745px) Image search: [Google]
steak chopped.jpg
250KB, 848x745px
Steak chopped up and added to a cold pan in order to render some fat as it heats up. I added some butter to help it along as the meat was pretty lean, and it would probably just burn without a bit of additional fats.
>>
File: fond develops.jpg (260KB, 783x687px) Image search: [Google]
fond develops.jpg
260KB, 783x687px
The meat's getting some color, and there's a nice fond developing on the bottom of the pan. Probably should have used the cast iron for this...
>>
File: adding red onion.jpg (283KB, 805x731px) Image search: [Google]
adding red onion.jpg
283KB, 805x731px
Next comes some red onion. The recipe I'm stealing from calls for shallots, which I don't have on hand. I'll cook these until they get a little bit of color.
>>
File: add red wine.jpg (274KB, 807x709px) Image search: [Google]
add red wine.jpg
274KB, 807x709px
Once the onions are done the red wine goes in and will cook until reduced.
>>
I wonder if you should've aged your steaks in the fridge.
>>
>>9298122
>you should've aged your steaks in the fridge.

Probably.
>>
>>9298104
>>
File: wine reduced.jpg (277KB, 850x681px) Image search: [Google]
wine reduced.jpg
277KB, 850x681px
The wine's reduced, and all the fond is scraped up from the bottom of the pan.
>>
File: add stock and reduce.jpg (181KB, 844x634px) Image search: [Google]
add stock and reduce.jpg
181KB, 844x634px
In goes the stock. I'm using a chicken stock, as that's what the recipe called for, but I think a veal or beef stock would probably be preferred. I'll bring this up to a boil, then reduce, and let it simmer away and reduce for an hour and a half.
>>
File: Smokey Joe.jpg (16KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
Smokey Joe.jpg
16KB, 355x355px
I'm still trying to figure out the right amount of charcoal I need to use in this smokey joe grill. The last time I did steaks it wasn't hot enough.

I'll be using some royal oak charcoal I have left over after making some chicken jerky in the smoker.
>>
Honestly, as an amerilard I haven't figured out how this in any way has a relationship to steak. What are you cooking? I'm following.
>>
>>9298352
hes making the sauce ya dope
>>
>>9298352

looks like he diced up a little bit of one of the steaks. a bit overkill for me, the fond from just frying the two steaks would have been okay enough for me, but he'll probably get a great flavor
>>
File: reduced.jpg (272KB, 870x675px) Image search: [Google]
reduced.jpg
272KB, 870x675px
Alright, here's where I called it reduced.
>>
File: straining.jpg (281KB, 816x709px) Image search: [Google]
straining.jpg
281KB, 816x709px
From there I ran it through a strainer, and set the meat aside for use in another dish.
>>
File: End product.jpg (164KB, 728x653px) Image search: [Google]
End product.jpg
164KB, 728x653px
The sauce collected and ready to be used. I think I got about a little less than 2 cups. I used half tonight, and will use the other half later.
>>
File: ready for final reduction.jpg (172KB, 803x706px) Image search: [Google]
ready for final reduction.jpg
172KB, 803x706px
Sauce in the pan to be further reduced to top the steak.
>>
File: fucked up the steaks.jpg (162KB, 708x625px) Image search: [Google]
fucked up the steaks.jpg
162KB, 708x625px
I fucked up the steaks and cooked them too long, and the damn grill didn't get hot enough to give me a decent char.

Sides are some white rice, and a ratatouille dish made with zuchinni and yellow squash I had in the fridge that needed to get used, topped with tomato and green onion.
>>
File: add butter at end.jpg (276KB, 786x686px) Image search: [Google]
add butter at end.jpg
276KB, 786x686px
The sauce is reduced in the pan, and in goes some butter to top it off, as per the recipe.
>>
File: butter mixed in.jpg (162KB, 850x696px) Image search: [Google]
butter mixed in.jpg
162KB, 850x696px
With the butter mixed in, all that's left is to test for seasoning, and then top the steak.
>>
File: final plate.jpg (217KB, 709x745px) Image search: [Google]
final plate.jpg
217KB, 709x745px
Here's the end result.

I topped the steaks with the sauce French style. The sauce was very rich, almost too rich, and I think I could have left out the final bit of butter, or at least used less, but I wanted to try to make it as close as possible to the recipe just to see how it turned out. I've still got half to use, and will add some water or stock to tone down the intensity a bit.

The steaks, and the grill both, kicked my ass and they turned out damn near well done, which is unacceptable, but the sauce helped make them more palatable. Next time I'm using 2 whole chimneys of charcoal.

Live and learn.
>>
>>9298591
Nice steak you fucking pleb. Get the fuck out of here you useless faggot. Christ can no one on this board cook?
>>
File: ..................jpg (115KB, 1300x948px) Image search: [Google]
..................jpg
115KB, 1300x948px
>>9298646
>>
>>9298625
Thanks for sharing anon.
>>
>>9298625
Looks good, anon. I'd eat the fuck out of it
>>
>>9298683
>>9298736

Thanks, anons.

The sauce is delicious, and a little goes a long way.
>>
Not really reading, just browsing the pictures.

Dunno what you did to the steak but it's fucked.
Additionally, you never pour sauce OVER a meat for presentation. You always put it on the plate, and the meat on top.
>>
It should not even take 10 minutes to grill that steak. 2 chimneys of coals is a very extreme amount. I don't know what you're doing wrong but it's something. If I'm grilling a NY strip for myself, just a single one, normal size like 1 inch thick, I use like maybe 1/4 of what you used and that would be plenty for 2 steaks also. You may be letting the charcoal rest too long until it gets cold or something.
>>
>>9299949
>You may be letting the charcoal rest too long

Yea, you're probably right.
>>
>>9298161
I have problems getting this thing hot too. If you cover it, the temp goes down fast. Try just searing over the chimney instead.
>>
>>9301038
That's an option I'll keep on the table as well. Hell, I've got a grate I can slap right on top of the thing too.
>>
>>9301038
good tip, ive never thought about doing that

to OP- good posts, thanks for sharing
>>
>>9298625
It's okay, OP. When I first started grilling, I can't tell you how many times I've fucked up steaks.
>>
>>9298625
That looks good but it really needs bone marrow for you to call it a bordelaise. I get that most people don't have demi glace on hand so i don't really care so much about that part but marrow is a nig part of what makes that sauce what it is.

True bordelaise = demi glace + red wine + shallot + bone marrow.
>>
>>9301025
Get some air moving through your coals too, you have no idea how much difference that makes in terms of how hot your grill is.
>>
>>9298088
can you post a link to the recipe?
>>
>>9303368
It's this dudes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbSYPcWd0W4
>>
>>9303431
thanks
>>
>>9298591
i almost thought that was fish based on color and texture
looks real good though, I'd love to try it
>>
>>9298591

Need to get that grill or pan hotter
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.