[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chalet Style Cooking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2411.jpg (389KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2411.jpg
389KB, 1600x1200px
Hey /ck/

I'm currently rebuilding my family cabin up in the North (pic related) and I need recipe ideas taking into consideration many limitations.

>Stuff has to keep a long time, we go downtown only once or twice a month.

>very limited space in our propane fridge & freezer (literally less than 2 cubic feet of freezer space)

>quick prep time since we spend our days doing hard labor and don't have much time or energy left

>must be calorie and protein rich

>no electric appliances

BONUS POINTS FOR
>meals that are made entirely from shelf stuff
>lunch ideas that can be eaten on the go
>meals that include a wide variety of veggies
>BEANS, RICE and other dried stuff

Fire away and blow my mind /ck/, only YOU can do this!
>>
>>9289450
Get dry goods that will keep a long time without refrigeration (beans, rice, lentils, etc.)
Dry spices, bullion cubes, etc, to add flavor.
Canned food is a given.
Old-fashioned cured meats (ham, bacon, etc.) can be stored for a long time at room temperature.

Is your cabin in a somewhat remote area so that you can supplement your food by hunting and/or fishing?
>>
>>9289488

Fishing is accessible and easygoing after a hard day's work, hunting & trapping is possible but too time consuming...

Hare and fowl is abundant here...
>>
File: cruciferous.jpg (10KB, 249x202px) Image search: [Google]
cruciferous.jpg
10KB, 249x202px
>>9289488
Not much to improve on here, other than to say that you should use close to 100% of your freezer space for meats (you will be able to get more lb/ft^2 with ground meats), and use a good portion of your fridge space for fresh mostly green vegetables and maybe fruits. They may not be as calorie rich, but if you don't have some roughage in you diet you'll regret it when it comes time to take a shit.
>>
File: 91BMMYAI5sL._SL1500_.jpg (402KB, 1500x1440px) Image search: [Google]
91BMMYAI5sL._SL1500_.jpg
402KB, 1500x1440px
Do you have a lot of sunlight? I would look in to getting (or building) a solar cooker.

Looking at them, I think it would be pretty easy to construct with aluminum foil and cardboard, or polished stainless steel, or those reflectors people use in the cars.

Pic related, this thing sells for $100 on amazon.
>>
>>9289950

We have a propane stove and a small generator that we mostly run during evenings to watch the news and browse 4chan on a shitty satellite connection.

What I'm really looking for is recipes, I'm already versed in foods that keep long, just we've already been here a month and I'm running out of original ideas...
>>
I'd build a cold smoker (basically like an old fashioned outhouse, could run it up in a few hours) and spend a day catching a shitload of fish, salting for 24 hours and cold smoking for 3 -5 days. That will keep forever in a northern climate. Cold smoking is just adding some wood to keep a smoky environment, like when you take a break just make sure it's still smoking. In the future you'll use that for much of your food especially if you raise a couple hogs.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.