[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Smoked chicken curry cook-a-long?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 10

File: chili paste ingredients.jpg (156KB, 672x592px) Image search: [Google]
chili paste ingredients.jpg
156KB, 672x592px
Smoked some chicken quarters, poorly, I might add, and need to use them up. Might as well do another cook-a-long.

I'm using a modified red thai curry paste and will add it to a standard curry base of onion and tomato with some left over veggies I have on hand.

Ingredients:
Protein
1 cup of smoked chicken

Chili paste
-approx 4 oz dried chilli's (used some guajillo, arbol, and a couple of ghost)
-2 tsp shrimp paste
-2 tbsp coriander seed
-2 tbsp chopped red onion
-3 tbsp chopped garlic
-2 tbsp parsley stalk
-2 tsp chopped lemon zest
-2 tsp powdered galangal
-10 peppercorns

Curry sauce:
1 chopped red onion
1.5 cups quartered cherry tomato
1/2 cup bell pepper
1/2 cup carrot strips
1/2 cup pineapple cubes
1 tsp fish sauce

Salt to taste
>>
>>9286370
That is some rough chopped garlic tbqh
>>
>>9286370
pineapple cubes? What
>>
I am very unsure about everything you posted about. But I will continue to watch this trainwreck.
>>
Pic related: Chili's and dry spice is going to be toasted in a dry skillet.

>>9286388

It's all going in the processor, so I didn't bother to mince anything up too much.
>>
File: toasting chilis 1.jpg (184KB, 1152x290px) Image search: [Google]
toasting chilis 1.jpg
184KB, 1152x290px
>>9286422
fuck...

Pic.
>>
>>9286388
>>9286410
Found the whites
>>
File: adding hot stock.jpg (131KB, 849x320px) Image search: [Google]
adding hot stock.jpg
131KB, 849x320px
Once the chili's are toasted, they're going to be soaked in some hot chicken stock I made with some of the smoked chicken bones and parts, and the spices will be ground.

>>9286410
A sweet component goes really well in a curry dish. Think coconut milk in Thai curries. I had a can of cubed pineapple in the fridge, so I'll be tossing some in to add that sweetness.

>>9286414

Nah, we'll be alright.
>>
File: chili paste in the processor.jpg (187KB, 877x643px) Image search: [Google]
chili paste in the processor.jpg
187KB, 877x643px
Once the chili's have softened up, all the chili paste ingredients are going in the food processor.
>>
File: paste is done.jpg (373KB, 1132x760px) Image search: [Google]
paste is done.jpg
373KB, 1132x760px
This time I opted to leave the seeds in, and just strain them and the skins out of the paste after I process them, but I think leaving the skins in offers a better taste and texture. Apparently that's a no-go when making Mezkin chili sauces though.

I added more of the stock to the processor to help it all get chopped up, which means the end result is going to be thin and will need to be simmered over some heat to reduce the moisture content and thicken the paste.

Pics: (TL) chili sauce in the bowl right after straining (TC) seeds and skins remaining in strainer (TR) sauce in the pan to be thickened (BL) thickening up (BR) done
>>
File: red onions go in.jpg (338KB, 1525x433px) Image search: [Google]
red onions go in.jpg
338KB, 1525x433px
With the paste done, it's time to start working on the sauce. In goes a chopped red onion to be caramelized. Notice how they almost looked burnt in the middle pic, but in the right you can see they came out nice and browned after I added some stock and reduced it until they were nice and brown.
>>
File: chili paste goes in the onions.jpg (275KB, 1196x432px) Image search: [Google]
chili paste goes in the onions.jpg
275KB, 1196x432px
Once the onions were browned, I mixed in the chili paste and let it reduce a bit.
>>
Now it's time to finish the base sauce with the tomatoes.

You can see how the tomatoes slowly start to soften, and then eventually dissolve and make the sauce. I could have used the food processor for this, but I prefer the texture of the sauce when you allow the tomato to simply soften in the pan, skin and all. From here I'm going to add some chicken stock and let it simmer a bit, then I'm going to add my final ingredients for the last part of the simmer
>>
File: peppers chicken in.jpg (287KB, 861x755px) Image search: [Google]
peppers chicken in.jpg
287KB, 861x755px
Finally, it's time to add the smoked chicken, peppers, carrots, and pineapple. From here, I'll add a bit of stock, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or so.
>>
File: plated.jpg (209KB, 750x707px) Image search: [Google]
plated.jpg
209KB, 750x707px
Well...fuck.

Camera died and I have no batteries for it here.

Here's a pic of a similar dish I did before instead, except without the carrots and pineapple, served over some rice and garnished with green onion.

All in all it turned out quite nice, though the chili paste didn't have enough heat, so I had to add a chopped habanero. The pineapple was nice, and added that little bit of sweetness to go along with the savory flavors of the rest of the dish.

Next time I'm adding more heat to the paste, getting rid of the seeds before processing, and then I'll finish up in my mortar while leaving the skins in the paste.
>>
0/10 didn't "bone apple tea"
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.