[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pine needle ice cream

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I just got to Salzburg, Austria, and I decided to take a day trip to Hallstatt, but I realized it was too touristy and stopped at a restaurant called steegwirt a couple miles before it and I saw they served Pine needle ice cream.

So of course I tried it and it was the best flavour of ice cream i've ever had, tasted like christmas, and it was honestly the most pleastant thing I have tasted in a while.

How do I go about recreating this masterpiece? I know how to make Ice cream, but don't know how to add pine. Any tips?
>>
>>9284848
>but don't know how to add pine

Google "pine essential oil"
>>
>>9284848
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/foraged-flavor-all-about-pine.html

Looks like you can make the custard like you would any ice cream flavor, by steeping pine needles in milk, but I'm sure >>9284851 is right there are commercial options.
>>
>>9284855
Another option would be to make your own extract by steeping crushed pine needles in strong alcohol.
>>
>>9284848
Les Stroud makes pine needle tea all the time on survivor man.
>>
>>9284848
OP, listen closely. Put a little research into where to source your needles from and do this >>9284866 because it will technically make an extract and a little alcohol makes THE best ice cream. Alternatively you could make a syrup or infuse the needles in the custard. DON'T do this >>9284851 because ingesting essential oils -especially pine- is stupid and toxic.
>>
>>9284851
>>9284855
I don't want to use commercial because the shit I had was fresh as fuck
>>
>>9284889
Should I just grab some alpine Pine and make it while i'm here? Cause I live in New Orleans and there isn't a lot of Pine there, and if there is, I doubt it is as good as mountain pine
>>
>>9284851
don't do this. essential oils not interchangeable with extracts. there's a really high chance this would really hurt your mouth and throat, and if you knew a single thing about what you were talking about, you'd know that they generally taste like burning shit.

just go get some pine needles (at least for tea, i sample a few different trees and pick the least resinous tasting one), wash them, and cook them into whatever you want to use. You could try using fir tips instead since they're generally more sweet, but I've never made any of this into ice cream.
>>
>>9284901
I don't know jack shit about sourcing pine but I'm a bit intrigued now so after a cursory google, this site says some types are poisonous
http://www.skilledsurvival.com/eating-pine-how-to-eat-a-pine-tree/
Another site said Douglas Firs impart a nice citrusy taste. Not sure what you can get down south. You're just gonna have to look into it a bit if you want to go ahead and do it safely, minding what type of trees you're getting from.
>>
>>9284938
>this site says some types are poisonous

Indeed. But with the tiny little amounts that would be involved for making this sort of dish that's not a concern.
>>
>>9284938
I've never been to new orleans, but I know i've seen white pine in some places in the south. maybe look for that. i think it'll be pretty inconsequential since you're not gonna be doing anything very concentrated- that would be a much bigger issue if you were wanting to make your own essential oil.
>>
>>9284950
We do, and apparently it's the best tasting one
>>
>>9284950
>>9284944
>but he only used a little bit of hemlock
You never know what could potentially be toxic in any amount. Otherwise op would be adding essential oils to their ice cream. It's better to do a little research or you can just let Darwin take over.
Maybe try to find out from the locals where they get it from
>>
>>9285006
Tried that, but I don't know if you've ever talked to Austrians about getting their recipes, but they are not willing, I offered to pay and they just laughed and repeated that they don't reveal secrets
>>
>>9285006
Obviously research is prudent. But we have a saying in the medical field: "the dose makes the poison". How much a person consumes is just as important as the level of toxicity of the compound itself.

Many everyday foods contain poisonous compounds. But the amounts present are so small that it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>9285006
to my knowledge, most of the reportedly poisonous pines are only hazardous to livestock. regardless, anyone in the habit of eating shit outside should invest in a handbook of local species.
>>
File: dram-pine-syrup.jpg (65KB, 560x840px) Image search: [Google]
dram-pine-syrup.jpg
65KB, 560x840px
>>9284848

>google image searched "pine flavored ice cream"

>found this
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.