[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canning salsa and botulism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_2807-images-879161185.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2807-images-879161185.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
How do I minimize the risk of botulism in my hatch chile salsa? I am wanting to give it to some friend but I fear they may get sick. I boiled the water in my water bath over 180 F and let the cans sit for ten minutes, but I am still concerned. Tips?
>>
Submerge the cans in 90% rubbing alcohol for a few hours my man.
>>
You had them boiling for 10 minutes, that's really all there is to do. Is there a specific reason you are still worried? The top will pop up if it's growing anything.

>>9275162
To sterilize the outside of the jar? What a pointless exercise.
>>
>>9275130
You need to pressure can them if they aren't at 4% acidity I think. For now, tell them to keep it refrigerated and use it within a month or so just to be safe, better to be safe than sorry when dealing with food.

https://www.extension.umn.edu/food/food-safety/sanitation/low-acid-vegetables-botulism/
>>
>>9275175
I'm just concerned for my friends' health is all. Little is worse than seeing someone doubled over in agony because of something you made for them. Also somewhat afraid at the possibility of a lawsuit if someone felt vindictive enough to do so.

>>9275182
I appreciate the link. I think they are relatively high acidity, I used a large quantity of tomatillos and the juice of four limes, so I imagine it is more food safe than say, home canned meat or corn.
>>
>>9275290
If the tops are still down and they aren't storing them for long periods before eating them you needn't worry. If you are giving some to friends I assume they are only getting a small number and going to eat them fairly quickly? They can store them in the refrigerator if you are especially worried.

There's like 10 cases of botulism in the US a year and a lot of us do some water bath canning.
>>
>>9275130
Low-acid foods have to be pressure canned. Sorry, I don't make the rules.
>>
>>9276719

Indeed. But salsa is a high-acid food, not a low-acid one.
>>
>>9275130
If you are really worried OP, there is this great youtube food cooking star named Jack that does a great episode on how to safely can food.
>>
>>9275175
I'm sure he meant the entire can not just the outside.
It sounds itd be affective along with a bath in boiling water after soaking them
>>
>>9276785

If you're boiling the jars then the alcohol step is totally redundant. There is literally zero reason to do it; the boiling bath will sterilize the jars.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.