[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make potatoes gratin?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: PotatoGratin.jpg (256KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
PotatoGratin.jpg
256KB, 1200x797px
I bought 5 russets and have a bunch of different types of cheese.

I was wondering what recipes and techniques you guys use. I have a 2 quart glass baking dish and a big roasting pan. I figure the roasting pan will get everything crispier but I am not sure on what oven temperature/time to use.
>>
>>9274883
I use the boxed stuff
>>
>>9274883
>>9276017
I loke almost every kind of food, but I've really never had a potatoes au gratin that I've enjoyed. Homemade or from the box, it just...I dunno. I don't like it.
>>
>>9274883
have you tried not being a fat american?
>>
Layer by layer:
Oil or cooking spray
Potatoes
milk salt pepper
Potatoes
milk salt pepper
cheese
>>
>>9276237
Cover with foil cook on 375 for 2 hours. Remove foil last 10 minutes cooking
>>
I make cheesy potatoes. Not sure if that's the same thing because your potato gratin pic looks like cheesy potatoes and completely lacks any gratin at all.

Slice potatoes and onions into rounds.
Blanch in boiling oil.
Drain and salt a bit.
Layer them with cheese.
Make bechamel sauce, salted with stock powder instead of plain salt because fuck you, that's why.
Pour over top.
Bake until bubbly and brown.
Allow to cool a tad.
Slice and consume.
>>
>>9276256
Well the last time I made it I sliced potatoes in a food processor and made a cheese sauce with a bunch of grated cheese, sodium citrate, milk, and butter. The only issue was I didn't add quite enough sodium citrate so the sauce broke and I felt like the texture was a bit too close to burnt without the potatoes getting crispy enough.

I was mainly wondering what oven temp and time people use and what kind of a baking dish you prefer.
>>
>>9276263
I use a glass casserole dish (I think that's the English word; short, wide, circular pan with a lad that can go from stove to oven with no problems), and bake at 175-190 until it's done. idk the exact time, tho. Until it's done.
>making a cheese sauce
Did you add mustard? Not adding it seems to be the #1 reason for the sauce breaking, sodium citrate or not. I've never used sodium citrate, I just make a typical mornay when I make cheese sauce and that, invariably, utilises a lot of mustard. My sauce has never broken.
Still, for casseroles, I toss or layer the shredded cheese with the potatoes and just pour the bechamel sauce over as I prefer the texture. For me, mornay sauce is a condiment rather than an ingredient. Does that make sense?
Sorry for poor explanations. It's still early around here and my brain hasn't switched fully over to English mode just yet.
>>
>>9276256
>I make cheesy potatoes

This. Go stick a feather up your ass if you call it an gratim whatever. It's cheesy potatoes, cheese taters, whatever.
>>
>>9276237
Don't use regular milk, it doesn't have enough fat to keep it from curdling and getting grainy.

If you don't want to use something fattier, like cream or half and half, you can use canned evaporated milk, which will maintain it's texture and creaminess.

Also, I recommend using mix of cheeses for the top, if you want cheese on it. I like gruyere, fontina, and a little parmesan for it's flavor.
Also, top with either fresh breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs before baking. Season the layers with salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, and, if you like, a bit of thyme or herbs de provence, or even some roasted garlic.
>>
>>9276283
Found the hillbilly.
>>
>>9276298
Nope. But I like the way they cook. Found the city cuck though.
>>
>>9276316
Nope, try again. You can live in a small town and still be educated and have class. Your "cheesy potatoes" aren't potatoes au gratin, they're a low-class bastardization. You can keep them.
>>
File: 17398999_1367109180_1920.png (178KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
17398999_1367109180_1920.png
178KB, 400x300px
>>9276323
I live in a small town friend. I will stay cheesy.
>>
>>9276296
Sounds great!
>>
>>9276323
Not him, but I'm the guy who first mentioned cheesy potatoes ITT. Reason being is because the OP pic isn't potato gratin as gratin implies having a crust, hence me calling it 'cheesy potatoes.'
They're both good, but one is not the lower class version of the other. It's fucking potatoes, Anon. How can you get lower than fucking potatoes?
What sort of crust do you prefer? My family make a soufflé topping for all casseroles, but I think it's kinda pointless.
>>
>>9276346
Anyone who thinks potatoes are "lowly", doesn't deserve to eat them. They are one of nature's most perfect and versatile foods.
>>
>>9274883
Ok its in the oven.

375 for an hour and a half covered then half an hour uncovered should do it.

I used my nonstick roasting pan because it was a lot of veggies and I hope it gets a nice texture from the heat transfer.

I used my food processor a lot to make things easier.

I grated four onions, like the spring kind, in the food processor, and sautéed them with about two tbsp of butter. I added a bulb of garlic, minced. Then I added some paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper and nutmeg. Then I added about 4 tbsp of flour then 2 cups of cream and 2 cups of milk.

I then added 4 tbsp of sodium citrate and a bunch of different kinds of cheeses I had leftover, grated in the food processor: Valencay, Blue, Gouda, and Romano.

I sliced 5 russet potatoes with the food processor, and 3 purple eggplants and layered them in the roasting pan with the cheese sauce. I added maybe 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the whole mixture because it seemed pretty thick.

Hope it turns out well.
>>
Keep us updated. Moving out soon and this seems easy enough to make on my own.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.