[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is your favorite soul food dish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

File: 1500663891676.jpg (136KB, 750x906px) Image search: [Google]
1500663891676.jpg
136KB, 750x906px
what is your favorite soul food dish
>>
>>9267002
Ox-tail stew with cornbread.

And daaaaaamn dem are some TOBs.
>>
>>9267002
Photoshopped titties casserole
>>
>>9267012
Huh. The awe of these tits never made me stop and think.
>>
>>9267002
I had jambalaya pasta before.

It was meh.
>>
Bulgarian ratatouille like sweet veg stews
>>
>>9267040
That's cajun-creole not soul food, and you must have been in a shit restaurant. Jambalaya pasta can be god-tier done right.

>>9267034
We got a bad boy over here! He says nigger in casual conversation!
>>
>>9267002
red beans and rice with some cornbread

also mac n cheese(not that gooey drippy shit)
>>
>>9267002
Eh... beans, sweet cornbread, collards, barbecue, and either cheesy mac or cheesy hash. All on a plate.
>>
Smoked ham hocks, pigs feet or turkey necks stewed with beans.
>>
>>9267002
Fried chicken
>>
>>9267996
>getting triggered by words
maybe you should go to reddit or tumblr or facebook
>>
>>9267002
Who is this??
>>
>>9268443
@soniyahshalinie bro
>>
>>9267002
For me, its the McChicken, the ultimate southern comfort food
>>
SHOW US HER KNOCKERS!
>>
>>9268528
>soniyahshalinie
WE
>>
Spinach casserole, fried catfish, oxtail spaghetti, sweet potato pie, and collage greens.

At least in my family.
>>
>>9269068
>SHOW US HER’E KNOCKERS
ftfy
>>
>>9269284
>oxtail spaghetti
is this good??
>>
>>9269305
It's ok. Oxtail is all you really taste. It tastes the better the day after it was cooked.
>>
>>9267996
triggered nigger lmao
>>
>>9267002
why does this indian woman always get posted for soul food threads
>>
>>9268528
Any nudes available?
>>
>>9268014
>>9268322
>>9269278
>>9269532
why is /ck/ so easy to bait?
>>
>>9267012
>>9267031

To be fair I know plenty of women of African heritage who have bodies like this.
>>
>>9269566
She looks black American, on the lighter side but she wouldn't look out of place at most cookouts.
>>9267996
As a Creole I will say our culinary traditions have been assimilated in"soul food" we migrated north and west with black Americans and have assimilated in all but surname save for those in Louisiana who still hold on to some form of tradition.
>>
>>9269566
Dude, there is no Indian woman on earth who has that body structure.
>>
>>9269647
There's a lot of crossover, but I think each side still has a few specialties to consider them separately. You can get collard greens in Louisiana, but you don't think of them as a cajun-creole dish. They're more of a soul food specialty.
>>
>>9270048
That's patently false though anon.
>>
>>9267002
Where Im from no one calls it sould food. Its just food. But anyway....a standard dish would be some sort of unhealthy protein (fried chicken, country fried steak, porkchops) with a lot of fresh greans.

Ill never make the argument southern food is healthy, but we dont get enough credit for all the beautiful and delicious produce we have.
>>
Oh but as far as favorite...probably pulled pork with greens, pinto beans, and yams.
>>
Fried pork chops and greens (turnip are best, collards are good too)
>>
>>9270134
Turnips arent greens yankee scum
>>
>>9270151
What the fuck are you talking about of course they are.
>>
>>9270171
Google southern greens and let me know how many of the results say turnip
>>
>>9270197
It's a traditional green that my great grandmother ate almost a century ago and a common food of the poor and enslaved.

https://books.google.com/books?id=R612CQAAQBAJ&pg=PT52&dq=southern+greens+turnip&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI6Lrn78PVAhXCqlQKHeOuD_cQ6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=southern%20greens%20turnip&f=false
>>
>>9270214
Im sorry about your ancient slave relatives. Im talking about today.
>>
>>9270238
You can go to any grocery store and get turnip greens in the frozen section. Sometimes even fresh.

It's a historical and contemporary southern green.
>>
>>9270244
See >>9270197

Better yet, go to any southern restaurant ask for greens. Lemme know how many tunips you get
>>
>>9270252
how have you never heard of turnip greens you fucking retard
>>
I sho nuff loves me some f'ied water buffalo, collahd greens, f'ied okra, and co'nb'ead smothahed in souha cream... mmmMMM!! but of course, I knows you like that food as well, but, be sho to save some room for mammy's sweet potatay pie okay, massa?
>>
>>9270252
No

http://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/turnip-greens-recipes?source=dam
>>
File: 20170806_210559.png (365KB, 1080x1842px) Image search: [Google]
20170806_210559.png
365KB, 1080x1842px
>>9270276
Nice source. Google "southern living greens". Let me know what the results are. Pic related

>>9270267
Yes. I have heard of them. Thats how I know theyre not whats meant when people ask for "greens". If you want turnip greens youll say

>id like turnip greens
Then the restaurant will say
>do mean collards?
>>
>>9270324
That's because the recipes that talk about Southern Greens are referring to collards the most common green you find other than Kale now.

Beet greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, pokeweed, pepper grass, etc... along with collards are all traditional greens of the South

https://books.google.com/books?id=5rN_CQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=what+are+southern+greens&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq5azC-8PVAhXig1QKHe4RBi8Q6AEINzAD#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>>9270386
Yeah and Im sure if you go into a southern restaurant ask for greens theyre just as likely to give you pepper grass.

Thats the point dummy. Im talking about the common lexicon of the south.
>>
>>9270395
Just because of the industrialization of agriculture over the past 50 years occurred that doesn't make Turnip greens "Yankee" there are books talking about Turnip, Mustard and other "tops" and greens and most 'mess of greens' dishes don't utilize just one kind of vegetable.

Restaurant food is not the definition of Southern culinary traditions.
>>
>>9270410
See >>9270197

Lemme know how often you hear beets or pokeweed mentioned
>>
File: photo_1502069848974.jpg (60KB, 216x229px) Image search: [Google]
photo_1502069848974.jpg
60KB, 216x229px
>>9270422
You can find them in old southern farms, just like muscadines and other now uncommon but once important southern foods.

That doesn't make them "Yankee" as you stated >>9270151, they are traditional foods.
>>
>>9270451
Good point. When I mentioned what people commonly refer (lexicon) to as greens I definitely meant meant what people ate a century ago. Feel free to pull up a 1907 farmers almanac to let me know what the fishing conditions will be tomorrow
>>
>>9267034
can you please go the fuck back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>9270475
That's now, I just spoke to my grandmother and asked her "what's in greens" and she listed 9, of which she uses 5 or 7 depending on availability.

Secondly pepper grass can be found at farmer markets, it's called cress.

Just because you don't understand or have a working/living knowledge of Southern Culinary Traditions doesn't mean I'm wrong. They still sale blends of greens to make "collards", you can go to many super markets and find the one just above.
>>
>>9270422
Well damn, I ate some beet greens today from my garden sauteed in a garlic/thai pepper oil. Do I qualify as a hipster now? Careful on your loose definition, I'm in bumfuck MS.
>>
File: 800px-Pokeberries.png (866KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Pokeberries.png
866KB, 800x533px
>>9270422
>pokeweed

You pick young sprouts in early spring. It becomes toxic as it grows, though. Boiling eliminates the toxins. Learn to live from the earth mf, instead of eating Monsantos definition of "food."
>>
>>9270592
>stop eating food created by brilliant minds and centuries of food science
>instead, pick these toxic weeds that illiterate farmers have been subsisting on out of desperation

How cultured of you.
>>
>>9270551
Did yoe take your garden veggies to a restaurant, give them to a cook, and then order them from the front of the house by them for greens?

If not, if you went to a southern restaurant and asked for greens would you expect beets with thai peppers? Oh ok. Good point
>>
>>9270523
Again...Im not talking about southern tradition. Im talking about what is commonly referred to as greens. And it isnt pepper grass. Im sure your grandma used to call black people negroes (at best). Is that what you still say?

Im sure you can go to plenty of places and buy plenty of shit. Look at rice for example. At home I cook carolina gold rice. If I go to a restaurant and ask for rice I dont expect a 250 year old heirloom blend. Common terms for the present time.
>>
>>9270714
by asking for greens*
all other spelling errors*

That was an awfully written post, sorry. Points remain
>>
>>9267012
Ive known a couple black women with titties like that. Especially from the isalnds
>>
>>9267034
Soul food is great asshole, youre missing out
>>9270515
Not every person that thinks like this is from "powl"
>>
>>9270735
No you said Turnip greens werent southern and that they were "Yankee"
>>9270151

That's culinary tradition

Secondly>>9270451 these are pre-mixed bags people make for greens, when you eat greens it can be any sort of greens. Collards are specific.

Stop shifting goal posts.
>>
>>9270616
>by brilliant minds and centuries of food science

Yeah, no. The big agri chemical poison monoculture welfare subsidized food saturation became ubiquitous after WWII. Not before. Not even 1 century idiot.
>>
>>9269284
>collage greens
For your sophisticated palette, no doubt.
>>
>>9267002
I'm black and I grew up on soul food.

Issue is my mom ruined the idea of soul food for me when I was a kid.

Everything she made that was considered soul food had the same qualities
>cheap-ass food
>cooked overdone
>cooked only when my mom had no money
>and in such large quantities that there was nothing else to eat for days but the shitty soul food she'd make

It was a plate of "at least we aren't starving"

This extended to corn dogs, ramen noodles, and other shit as well. I just can't eat them because I hate them, and I hate being poor, so I do whatever I can to remove that feeling.

Soul food isn't poor food necessarily. I get that. My mom is just a bad cook and ruined soul food for me.

Is peach cobbler soul food though? I will fuck up a peach cobbler.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.