[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should a good chef also be an expert on aromatics, or is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

Should a good chef also be an expert on aromatics, or is the flavor the only thing that matters?
>>
Would you eat something that smells terrible?
>>
flavour comes from aroma.

pinch your nose and eat your pizza. you're not gonna like it as much
>>
>>9264413
>flavor comes from aroma

If that were true, then dogs should be the pickiest, most discerning gourmands on earth. But we all know, they'd just as soon eat garbage or rotten meat as a liver pate.
>>
>>9264419
maybe they smell things over the funk that we cant.
>>
>>9264413
yea but there are other tricks for enhancing flavor, like the color of the plate the food is served on. Humans are too easily manipulated. A good chef might be an expert on the aroma of the specific dish he's trying to present, but I don't think that would qualify him to be an expert on aromatics in general though.
>>
>>9264419

there's a difference between orthonasal and retronasal olfaction. we smell things while they're inside our mouths so we get a lot more flavour out of mastication.

also, even if that weren't the case, they could just be programmed to tolerate those kinds of odours. it's not like any smell is inherently good or bad. plus dogs can be picky. my dog has a surgical-tier ability to eat around cucumber or whatever.
>>
>>9264429

without aroma you literally would not be able to tell the difference between different foods. it's not a trick, aroma is arguably the most significant contributor to flavour.
>>
File: 1465264869170.jpg (7KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
1465264869170.jpg
7KB, 252x252px
>>9263093
No. Be an expert on plating. If something LOOKS good you brain automatically assumes it is good. If the food is reasonably cooked but plated well, a customer will be happy.

Aroma, or aromatics, is a thing but not as important as cooking food properly and making it look sexy.
>>
>>9264468

>Aroma, or aromatics, is a thing but not as important as cooking food properly and making it look sexy.

cooking food properly involves controlling its aroma.
>>
>>9264471
Explain.
>>
>>9264502

it's a big thing to explain really. a significant portion of the cooking we do every day is focussed specifically on aroma. we choose ingredients for their aroma. herbs and spices are almost exclusively aromatic. searing creates new aroma. things like soups and broths depend pretty heavily on aroma to taste good.

smell is inextricably linked to flavour. what you are doing when you eat food is smashing it up and releasing its smell to your olfactory receptors. the combination of the smell and the taste on your tongue is what produces the flavour.

cooking properly involves making the food taste good, right? well you cannot do that without aroma. you don't want to bruise or overcook vegetables. you don't want to undersear your meat. you don't want your french ice cream to have an eggy note. if you didn't care about aroma, you wouldn't care about this stuff.

at a basic level, when you're cooking you're aiming for the food to taste good, smell good and feel good. because those are the senses we use when we're eating and they're an essential part of the experience.

lack of aroma is a big part of why eating food on a plane or when you have a cold or whatever is so unsatisfying. you couldn't really tell the difference between fresh or concentrated strawberry juice, for instance. it's really important.
>>
>>9263093
what is this from
>>
>>9264548
Looks like a GDQ stream. I would expect such behavior from that group of human waste.
>>
>>9264711
What is a GDQ stream?
>>
>>9264419
>people actually think like this based on assumptions
kek, the retards on this board...
>>
>>9264711
It's fake you fucking retarded faggot
>>
File: XHYt79a.png (917KB, 1028x784px) Image search: [Google]
XHYt79a.png
917KB, 1028x784px
>>9264738
>being this retarded
>>
>>9264747
holy shit you're fucking dumb. You know you need to be 18 to be on this site?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SamandTolki/comments/5narpf/guy_caught_sniffing_a_hot_chicks_chair_when_she/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/5n9ux1/dude_caught_sniffing_girls_seat_at_agdq/
>>
>>9264803

what do you think is 'fake' about that clip anon
>>
>>9264738
Found the dude who sniffed the seat.
>>
>>9264545
You eat with your eyes before you eat with your mouth.
>>
>>9264803
How is it fake? Did they Photoshop him bending down? How autismal do you have to be to get this mad and link to Reddit over a joke?
>>
>>9264738
>it's fake
DUDE CGI LMAO
fuck off retard

>>9264803
>Reddit
i should have known. fuck off dumbass
>>
>>9266932

you clearly have not understood what i am saying.

when food is in your mouth, the flavour of it comes from both its smell and its taste.

appearance affects your perception of the food, yes, but it is not a part of the ongoing experience of eating the food when it is in your mouth.
>>
>>9264711
the dude dropped a thing, it cuts off right before he picks it up
>>
>>9264471
>>> splain evertying to me me no smart

if you don't get it why are you here?
like how if you have to ask the price you cant afford it, lurk more or try cooking for once
>>
>>9264548
>>9264711
>>9264738
>>9264846
>>9267131
when he said it was fake he meant it it very easily set planned, set up, and shot in advance. it could be done multiple times until the intended shot is perfect. he isn't implying she is a fucking robot or he is a hand drawn animation you autists. or is it a language issuse?

im just going to speak in idioms from on now to screw with you english as a second language people
>>
>>9268426

>when he said it was fake he meant it it very easily set planned, set up, and shot in advance.

but it wasn't.
>>
>>9268426
It was live anon
>>
>>9264724
Gdq is games done quick
Basically a community of people who play videogames and try to beat them as fast as possible to an absurd degree, discovering and exploiting errors in the games code to gain an advantage whenever possible
>>
>>9268426
It was live and is in no way fake. Stay btfo lad. You also clearly have no clue what an idiom actually is.
>>
>>9268426
No, it was real. However he knelt to pick up his bag, so cut that way the clip has a comedic effect.
>>
Just so you know the food you eat is fake
>>
File: RFF.jpg (12KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
RFF.jpg
12KB, 180x180px
>>9264450
>a lot more flavour out of mastication
Nigga i aint eaten my own dick juice
>>
>>9269337

that wouldn't require much mastication desu
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.