[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stainless steel troubleshooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1499473202452.jpg (438KB, 1077x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1499473202452.jpg
438KB, 1077x1600px
pic sorta related,

So let's say I'm restricted to an electric stove heating element, and only a stainless steel skillet. I'm not great at cooking so I've actually had a few things I'd like to see if /ck/ can have me troubleshoot a little bit

I tend to avoid using excessive oil so I've been trying to get away with using just a little bit to coat the pan, could this possibly be the main reason that things like eggs and noodles tend to stick to the pan and blacken? Or am I using an incorrect amount of heat

I've been spoiled by gas stoves and large steel woks, is there a way to fry rice or noodles in a 12inch stainless steel skillet without said carbs sticking onto the pan? or am I just overcrowding the darn thing maybe?
>>
>>9254826
With stainless it's really important to keep shit moving around constantly to avoid this. If you frequently let stuff stick and burn to the surface and then remove that with rough brushes and what not you'll create pores and scratches in the steel and that means more sticking and burning.
>>
>>9254866
so lets say that I've already had difficulties with things sticking and burning to the surface. Am I fucked or what?

Do I just need to add larger amounts of oil, ensure it heats up enough and use higher heat in general as well as moving things around? I'm never quite sure what im doing wrong with stainless steel but its a bit time consuming to clean, its making me want to oven roast everything instead
>>
>>9254826
>Or am I using an incorrect amount of heat
Cooking noobs always apply too much heat.
By the sound of it you already too care of the secondary mistake of too much oil.
>>
>>9254943
The more you have attacked the surface like that the more you will have to constantly stir it in order to prevent sticking and burning, you'll also want to lower the heat.
>>
Stainless must be used in a very specific way. You heat the empty, clean pan until you pour in a 1/4 tsp of water and it won't sizzle but instead it does that quicksilver impression and slides around the bottom of the pan without evaporating. THEN you wipe out the water, pour in the oil and keep heating until it just starts to smoke. Keep it barely at smoking point for a minute, then let it cool down to your desired temperature (if you are trying to sear meat no cool down in required) Now you have a stainless pan that is as non-stick as a teflon pan.
>>
>>9254951
>>9254949
The thing is, I've never liked using too much heat, I always found that it overcharred surfaces and left the insides raw. The problem I have now is that I'm not sure how to say, stir fry something if the directions always tell me to use excessive heat with an ample amount of oil.

How do I stir fry things on lower heat on stainless steel if the key to stir frying is high heat though. Every time i dont wait for the oil+pan to evaporate drops of water hot, things end up sticking.

>>9254949
Can I use high heat if I also use more oil?
>>
>>9254951
It has nothing to do with constantly moving it around. That way you will never get a good sear on anything anyway.
>>
>>9254967
Can I start with the oil in the pan, and test the temperature by flicking droplets of water onto it?
I have the tendency to maybe add not enough oil, so the quicksilver impression doesnt typically happen, or is harder to rather.

Is it ok for the pan to be used immediately once the oil starts smoking, without waiting a minute? or does that defeat the purpose entirely (mostly doing vegetable+meat stirfrys)
>>
>>9254967
How long is that nonstick effect supposed to last? I usually wash my pan with degreaser after every use, Am i not supposed to wash the pan after use?
>>
I hope you enjoy 3rd degree burns if you flick water into hot oil. Also, that way you won't be able to see the quicksilver effect. I suggest you just do it the way I described, it works fine. I have tested it myself. You will have to find out yourself how long the oil must be kept hot before use, perhaps you can shorten the time a bit.

I expect you will have to repeat the procedure every time you use degreaser on the pan. On the other hand there is not really a need for that. Bacteria cannot survive stir frying temps, and omelette for example leaves no trace at all in a pan treated that way.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170803_084725.png (256KB, 705x442px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170803_084725.png
256KB, 705x442px
it's only worth owning stainless steel or cast iron if you live somewhere with a well ventilated kitchen and smoke detectors that can be easily disabled.
>>
>>9254967

This.

Quick season is what it needs.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.