[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fermented foods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: htscmgm.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
htscmgm.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
haven't seen a fermented foods thread in a while. have this habenero, bell pepper, carrot, tumeric ferment going for 2 weeks now. Just took it out to clean out some kham yeast and was smelling very spicy, but the tumeric and carrot are coming through.

In another week I plan to blend it up and either strain it into a hot sauce bottle or let it ferment a bit longer. i was able to squeeze alot of water out when it started to ferment so I'm hoping straining won't be necessary.

The last thread I remember one anon mentioned he used tomato in most of the hot sauces he ferments. If you are still around do you have anything to say about what tomato adds to the process? Have a friend who is drowning in cherry tomatos. Does it matter which tomatos you've used?
>>
You guys want to see my fermented cum bottles?
>>
File: krtrdnn.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
krtrdnn.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
here is also a red cabbage and red onion kraut I jarred last week. Went out of town after that so having for the first time on a turkey sandwich for lunch. Very pungent. May have used too much red onion.
>>
File: IMG_1492.jpg (842KB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1492.jpg
842KB, 3200x2400px
>>9246569
Can't say I've heard of carrot hot sauce, but it sounds good especially if that carroty sweetness comes through. I might want to try making some hot sauce myself, what's your process?
>>
>>9246583
with doing hot sauce I've tried 3 different techniques.

one is letting all veggies ferment while submerged in a salt brine for a few weeks then blending it up, bottling and refrigerating.

that was sorta not great so then i did a few by blending all the veggies together with enough salt by weight to get the bacteria working. of all of those i let them ferment for 3 weeks, scraping out the mold once a week, then strained out the liquid into drip hot sauce bottles and saving remaining paste as a hot spread. The best of that bunch was a jalapeno, cilantro, lime hot sauce.

the one pictured here >>9246569 I'm going the sauerkraut method, basically sliced all veggies as thin as possible, massage in salt, sit to allow liquid to draw out, then stuff into a jar with drawn out liquid and topped with the bottom of the bell pepper and a thin glass jar filled with water to keep everything submerged.

I'm basically trying all different method to determine which give the best finished sauce while forming as little unwanted beasties as possible. So far the kraut technique seems the best in that regard.
>>
>>9246640
>kraut technique best
Deutschland stronk. That's interesting though, I thought vinegar was involved?
>>
>>9246697
You use vinegar if you are straight just pickling or if you intend to make a fast cooked sauce.

When fermenting like I described in the above post you are bringing about the right conditions to create a vinegar (ie: acidic environment that promotes good bacterias and helps preserve the food submerged in it.)
>>
how do you get the right microbes so it doesn't turn into a nurgling
>>
Anyone made kimchi? Ever since I came home from Korea I've been missing it and the store bought stuff is awful.
>>
>>9246914
The good microbes are already present in most any fresh veg you want to ferment. To promote a healthy culture of those microbes you want a wet salty environment. The method I described in >>9246640 as the sauerkraut method is the most classic. A few things that you need to do to make it perfect for the good bacterias is using some kind natural salt(sea or pink himilayan) that has no decaking agents and a salt to weight ratio of about 2%. More generally use a full tablespoon of salt for roughly a pound to a 1-1/2 lbs of vegetables.

I'm really still learning a lot in regards to. Have a book that goes into the science of it that I'm slowy going thru.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.